Sponsored

Did anyone ever do a Perf Pack 2 vs 1LE test?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yes. Not to be confused with the awesome ADM.
It all spells bullsh!t to me. Just letters invented in 2015 when the camaro was no longer the sales leader. Remember how camaro5 used to put out a thread. Ever month with pretty graphs and pie charts? Now they get to reminisce about the good old days ever 3 months.
Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
This would be an interesting theory were it not for the fact that at least until 2018 similarly equipped Camaros cost more than similarly equipped Mustangs on a car-for-car basis. The 2018 Mustang prices are pretty much on par now.

And ATP for Camaros tend to be significantly higher than for Mustangs. That part is not an as-equipped comparison, though. More a result of more Camaro buyers opting for higher trim than Mustang buyers, with the higher cost of Camaro stacked on top of that. The idea that Camaro buyers couldn’t afford to buy a Mustang doesn’t float.
My "comparably equipped" PP2 MSRP'd $3400 more than a 1LE and I'm still missing coolers and fenders wide enough for my front wheels. I just couldn't go GM after being a Blue Oval lifer.
As far as the media comparo, id' be willing to bet that Ford will not loan the vehicle to the media once it is informed of their intentions. They don't want egg on their face anymore than I do. I'm just more accustomed to it being old.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My GT MSRP'd at 50,070. i paid 39k for it with incentives, best deal i could get on a 1LE was 46k.. which is why im in the mustang. even a base 1ss 1le with no options was 42k the best i could talk them down. these are all before TTL btw. I dont buy the camaro owners cant afford a mustang either.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And ATP for Camaros tend to be significantly higher than for Mustangs. That part is not an as-equipped comparison, though. More a result of more Camaro buyers opting for higher trim than Mustang buyers, with the higher cost of Camaro stacked on top of that. The idea that Camaro buyers couldn’t afford to buy a Mustang doesn’t float.
Ignoring the ATP part, I agree with your post. Generally in the past the lower optioned Mustangs have been less expensive than similar Camaros. When I bought my 2011 GT, I think it was about $2,500 difference. At that time I didn't even consider a Camaro due to that price difference. I didn't care about SRA vs. IRS, just wanted the less expensive car.

Other forms are able. Hell, even the discussion on Camaro6 does.

What does this title mean to you:
"Did anyone ever do a Perf Pack 2 vs 1LE test?"
So you're saying that Camaro 6 posters are willing to overlook the characteristics of the Mustang that are better than the Camaro and just talk about magazine performance numbers that the Camaro is slightly better on?

I'm shocked.

My GT MSRP'd at 50,070. i paid 39k for it with incentives, best deal i could get on a 1LE was 46k.. which is why im in the mustang. even a base 1ss 1le with no options was 42k the best i could talk them down. these are all before TTL btw. I dont buy the camaro owners cant afford a mustang either.
Interesting real world information. Thanks for the info.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
So we know that Ford never intended to put coolers on the PP2. My question is why they chose not to. Do they not want it to be raced? Do they not want to warranty it? Was it a way for them to save some money on it? Because it seems that GM has no problems letting their cars be tracked and design them to handle the track. What is the reason why Ford seems to be taking the opposite stance? Could it be that the car won't actually need coolers?

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Yeah... there is a lot of butt hurt people, turning to sarcasm because they can't rebuttal the topic, or find anything logical to add.

These Camaro owners want to mock others, for themselves having bought a car with poor visibility. These same individuals have Mustang envy... knowing they could've bought something more desirable, but they didn't have enough money, so settled with the Camaro's inadequacies... and come here to tell others, that compromising their visibility isn't that big of an issue, because of the deal they got on their car.
Nah I would say it is more of forum vs forum. From my time being on both sites, you guys and the other guys have a rivalry. And so if someone comes over here and is anything but a diehard fan then you guys take your anger towards the other site out on people over here who have nothing to do with them. And they do the same exact thing. And everyone is a "troll" or "fanboy" and what have you. But that is forum talk these days. And it doesn't really matter because it's just that, forum talk.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This post actually makes two interesting points. First it confirms what I was saying wrt 2018 pricing. 2016 - 17, Camaro was pricked significantly higher than Mustang, but with the improvements made for 2018 Mustang (dual fuel, +15 hp, 10AT for those that want it) Mustangs are now pricing at or above comparable Camaros.

The second point...There are more than a few people here at M6 that like to point out that 1LEs are sitting on lots and can’t even be moved with deep discounts. I tried to point out that there really weren’t all that many 1LEs made and that on C6, people complain because there are no discounts being offered. Your experience seems to support the latter. Dealers who know what they have aren’t discounting 1LE, just like Ford dealers aren’t discounting GT350. They’d prefer to wait until someone who really knows what the car is and is willing to pay for it comes along.

My 2017 2SS Convertible stickered for $55,495. Similarly optioned 2017 GT PP Convertibles I looked at were in the $52 - 53k range. A similarly equipped 2018 GT PP1 Convertible I saw on the floor of Detroit Auto Show stickered at $56,370 and was missing a couple options that I have on my car.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ignoring the ATP part, I agree with your post. Generally in the past the lower optioned Mustangs have been less expensive than similar Camaros. When I bought my 2011 GT, I think it was about $2,500 difference. At that time I didn't even consider a Camaro due to that price difference. I didn't care about SRA vs. IRS, just wanted the less expensive car.

So you're saying that Camaro 6 posters are willing to overlook the characteristics of the Mustang that are better than the Camaro and just talk about magazine performance numbers that the Camaro is slightly better on?

I'm shocked.

Interesting real world information. Thanks for the info.
From a consumer point of view, ATP means zip. But that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist and that it is not measured. Vehicle program executives (Chief Engineers, Program Managers, Sales Executives) pay and bonuses are based at least in part on meeting ATP targets. The information is readily available to those willing to pay for subscriptions to the services that collect that data. When I was at GM, I had access to that data, so I know it exists. Now that I am retired from GM, I work for a company that collects that data and I see it first hand. From that I know that the general order amongst pony cars / muscle cars is Camaro > Mustang > Challenger / Charger. I also know that if you take the number of cars sold x ATP you get Total Gross Revenue contributed by each carline to the company’s bottom line. When you work the math for Camaro and Mustang, Mustang sells more cars, Camaro brings more ATP per car, and they are within spitting distance of each other for Total Gross Revenue. Just under $2B each to the Ford and GM bottom lines.

Again, to the person considering buying either car, it means absolutely zero. I only mentioned it in my earlier post because it is data that shows that on average, buyers spend more for Camaros than they do for Mustang, so the idea that people buy Camaros because they can’t afford Mustangs makes no sense.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The second point...There are more than a few people here at M6 that like to point out that 1LEs are sitting on lots and can’t even be moved with deep discounts. I tried to point out that there really weren’t all that many 1LEs made and that on C6, people complain because there are no discounts being offered. Your experience seems to support the latter. Dealers who know what they have aren’t discounting 1LE, just like Ford dealers aren’t discounting GT350. They’d prefer to wait until someone who really knows what the car is and is willing to pay for it comes along..

I was looking at getting a 1LE. even a 1SS 1LE. in fact my good friend got rid of his 7 month old Focus RS for his 1LE. they gave him a decent discount and all. He got OTD around 43k for a "base" 1LE. reason is his car was sitting for 2 months and the guy said "its been here to long, gotta move it" when i went looking for my 1LE i couldnt find any sitting for any amount of time and i was slightly picky wanting the data recorder and all. BUT my GT was sitting since Nov. when i bought it on the 28th of May. I got the prior service 1k and 750 private cash, along with the other memorial day sales pricing. They have been trying to move the car for a while. i originally went in beginning of April and was going to buy it, but wanted to see about private cash and memorial day sales. or maybe wait until 0for72 again, like my Focus ST. alas i got a good rate and felt like i got a great price. i mean i basically paid for a no option premium.

I personally loved the 1LE. visibility for me wasnt bad as i didnt think it was any worse then my FRS. It was cost. i could get a much better equiped car for quite a lot less at that time. Its a DD for the most part with some fun thrown in here and there.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
From that I know that the general order amongst pony cars / muscle cars is Camaro > Mustang > Challenger / Charger.
I would have thought the Challenger / Charger would be at the front, being that it's on the oldest platform. Is it because so many sold are base models? Or maybe I have no idea what ATP is..

I was looking at getting a 1LE. even a 1SS 1LE. in fact my good friend got rid of his 7 month old Focus RS for his 1LE. they gave him a decent discount and all. He got OTD around 43k for a "base" 1LE. reason is his car was sitting for 2 months and the guy said "its been here to long, gotta move it" when i went looking for my 1LE i couldnt find any sitting for any amount of time and i was slightly picky wanting the data recorder and all. BUT my GT was sitting since Nov. when i bought it on the 28th of May. I got the prior service 1k and 750 private cash, along with the other memorial day sales pricing. They have been trying to move the car for a while. i originally went in beginning of April and was going to buy it, but wanted to see about private cash and memorial day sales. or maybe wait until 0for72 again, like my Focus ST. alas i got a good rate and felt like i got a great price. i mean i basically paid for a no option premium.

I personally loved the 1LE. visibility for me wasnt bad as i didnt think it was any worse then my FRS. It was cost. i could get a much better equiped car for quite a lot less at that time. Its a DD for the most part with some fun thrown in here and there.
I paid 40.6K for my 1LE, a bit over 44k OTD. No options other than the 1LE package. No rebates or anything. I couldn't buy until April, missed out on the 2k rebate they had for owning a foreign nameplate in March. It was the only dealer willing to move on 1LE pricing. Only other dealer with them on the lot wouldn't budge, even though they had one over the winter. Complete with cracked tires because they moved it around when it was too cold out...

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have thought the Challenger / Charger would be at the front, being that it's on the oldest platform. Is it because so many sold are base models? Or maybe I have no idea what ATP is..
ATP is Average Transaction Price. What the buyer actually paid for the car. The reasons for one car having a higher ATP than another car can be due a couple reasons...
  1. Buyers of Car A tend to buy cars with higher trim level and/or constant (and therefore higher sticker price) than Car B
  2. Dealers selling Car A offer fewer discounts or incentives, selling Car A for closer to MSRP
There may be more factors involved, but those are the two I am most familiar with.

It is possible that Challenger / Charger could make more profit than Mustang or Camaro, but without knowing the cost details of each, that’s an unknowable. But low cost does support going to market intentionally with lower price [and therefore lower ATP] and pushing for more volume and/or driving your competitor to lower their prices. So far, neither Mustang nor Camaro feels threatened enough to lower their prices.

Laststandard said:
I paid 40.6K for my 1LE, a bit over 44k OTD. No options other than the 1LE package. No rebates or anything. I couldn't buy until April, missed out on the 2k rebate they had for owning a foreign nameplate in March. It was the only dealer willing to move on 1LE pricing. Only other dealer with them on the lot wouldn't budge, even though they had one over the winter. Complete with cracked tires because they moved it around when it was too cold out...
That’s pretty consistent with what I see in the Detroit area. Dealers are helped here by the fact that so many people get Employee Discounts, Family Discounts, or Supplier Discounts and are therefore more willing to structure the deal off of MSRP and just apply their discounts. Conditions will of course be different in different areas of the country.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So we know that Ford never intended to put coolers on the PP2. My question is why they chose not to. Do they not want it to be raced? Do they not want to warranty it? Was it a way for them to save some money on it? Because it seems that GM has no problems letting their cars be tracked and design them to handle the track. What is the reason why Ford seems to be taking the opposite stance? Could it be that the car won't actually need coolers?
Like I said (& what martinjlm missed), is that many Camaro 1LE cant afford a Mustang GT PP2 for the track... (these same people are "turn-key" forum racers, who spend zero tracking their cars)

Ford understood this, and saved money, because they knew that many people wanted to track a coyote powered Mustang, not the voodoo. And also knows that most who would order the PP2, would put their own coolers on, if needed.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said (& what martinjlm missed), is that many Camaro 1LE cant afford a Mustang GT PP2 for the track... (these same people are "turn-key" forum racers, who spend zero tracking their cars)

Ford understood this, and saved money, because they knew that many people wanted to track a coyote powered Mustang, not the voodoo. And also knows that most who would order the PP2, would put their own coolers on, if needed.
I must be missing it. A Camaro 1LE costs $45k and has coolers out the wazoo. A 2017 Mustang GT PP cost less than that (don’t remember the numbers, but recall it being less). A 2018 Mustang GT PP2 costs $44,850 without the coolers that the 2018 Camaro SS 1LE has. Where’s the part where the 1LE buyer can’t afford the PP2 for track and why would they consider it over a car priced the same with lesser content? What am I missing?

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I must be missing it. A Camaro 1LE costs $45k and has coolers out the wazoo. A 2017 Mustang GT PP cost less than that (don’t remember the numbers, but recall it being less). A 2018 Mustang GT PP2 costs $44,850 without the coolers that the 2018 Camaro SS 1LE has. Where’s the part where the 1LE buyer can’t afford the PP2 for track and why would they consider it over a car priced the same with lesser content? What am I missing?
The PP2 doesn’t come with active exhaust or Recaro seats, so option for option the PP2 cost over $47,300

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The PP2 doesn’t come with active exhaust or Recaro seats, so option for option the PP2 cost over $47,300
So, in essence, someone looking for a track car will look at the two and figure that for about the same money, they can get a car that performs better on the track for longer and has a lot more content included in the base + performance option price. They might also consider that one manufacturer says “we’ve added coolers so you can run it on the track all day” and provides an explicitly stated track warranty, while the other manufacturer says “despite all the track oriented development we’ve done and the awesome track tires we put on it, it’s not a track car”. And they might consider that one of the cars has active exhaust, HUD, and Recaros included in the base cost and could if they wanted to, add some more money to get a PDR and decide it is the better value. But that buyer’s only reason for buying it is that they can’t afford the PP2 so they “downgrade” to a 1LE. Is that what I was missing?

As far as 1LE owners being ““turn-key” forum racers, who spend zero tracking their cars”...as I’ve mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I know 7 6th Gen 1LE owners. All of them track their cars more than I track mine. There’s also a guy in the building where I work that I haven’t met yet who daily drives his 1LE and often comes in with evidence of having been to the track recently. I think they all appreciate that the coolers are there. I know I do for my car.
Sponsored