Sponsored

Car and Driver: GT PP vs. 1LE vs. R/T Scat Pack

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Yes, they gave the comparo crown to the GT PP :ford:. F-Motortrend.

Some excerpts from the December 2014 story:

"Even if you were to idle the new Mustang across a perfectly smooth surface--say, a showroom floor, an undertaking readers are advised to pursue--its specialness would show. It is remarkalble how tight this car feels. The slightest steering input results in an immediate reaction. A salesman's pen on the tile beneath a front tire would register as a minute twitch of the steering wheel. Its as if every bolt between the fire wall and the front hubs is torqued to the verge of snapping (minus the sense of imminent catastrophe). There is simply no slack here."

"And unlike the Camaro, the Mustang remains engaging but never abusive on public roads."

on Linelock:
"Ford cautions that it is 'intended for use only on racetracks' and that 'racing your vehicle will void your warranty'. But expecting owners to wait until the warranty is up to engage this function is like thinking Justin Verlander is waiting until marriage to test-drive Kate Upton."

"The stitched dashpad, soft touch panels, and matte silver toggle switches give the impression that designers fussd over every detail. A compact shifter that could have come from a Honda slides through snug gates as it actuates a tight, new linkage. Certain aspects of the interior, such as the 'ground speed' label in the speodmeter and the vacuum gauge atop the center stack, slip into aeronautical silliness, but the Mustang's interior is far and away the sharpest in class."

"We voted the challenger's engine and the Camaro's chassis our favorites, but both of those cars have glaring shortcomings not found in the Mustang. That bandwidth and adaptability make the Mustang our choice as the best product of Detroit's muscle-car reival."

On the Camaro:
"But after cycling through the cars, senior editor Tony Quiroga stepped out of the Camaro and proclaimed it a great track car- a meaningful distinction, as he called the Mustang a great road car (and the Challenger a great SUV). For all its heroics, the 1LE's stiff suspension beats up the occupants on bumpy drives. And while the Mustang brings an unprecedented level of interior polish to the class, the Camaro still plumbs the same old depth of penny pinching. It does have its upmarket touches--that steeering wheel and the matching shifter for example--and the designers ambitions are apparent. but they're executed in generation-old plastics on the lower dash, console, and elsewhere. Its a jarring pairing, like wearing a custom-tailored shirt with sweat pants. Stained sweat pants."

"The Camaro 1LE is a spectacular car, a testament to what a group of focused engineers can accomplish even inside a monolith like GM. But its definitely single purpose. The suspension trades comfort for capability to a degree that is hard to appreciate anywhere but on a track, and this interior would feel cramped and cheap at half of the 1LE's price."

:clap2:

I think that is a pretty spot on assessment of this bunch :headbang:
Sponsored

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
Honestly, that steering feel comment is probably the biggest confidence booster I've read in a review and I agree that the shifter is fantastic. Great (partial) article, thanks for posting!

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Motor Trend seems to be the only publication billing the 2015 Mustang GT PP a pitchy, wallowy handful.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Yes, they gave the comparo crown to the GT PP :ford:. F-Motortrend.

Some excerpts from the December 2014 story:

"Even if you were to idle the new Mustang across a perfectly smooth surface--say, a showroom floor, an undertaking readers are advised to pursue--its specialness would show. It is remarkalble how tight this car feels. The slightest steering input results in an immediate reaction. A salesman's pen on the tile beneath a front tire would register as a minute twitch of the steering wheel. Its as if every bolt between the fire wall and the front hubs is torqued to the verge of snapping (minus the sense of imminent catastrophe). There is simply no slack here."

"And unlike the Camaro, the Mustang remains engaging but never abusive on public roads."

on Linelock:
"Ford cautions that it is 'intended for use only on racetracks' and that 'racing your vehicle will void your warranty'. But expecting owners to wait until the warranty is up to engage this function is like thinking Justin Verlander is waiting until marriage to test-drive Kate Upton."

"The stitched dashpad, soft touch panels, and matte silver toggle switches give the impression that designers fussd over every detail. A compact shifter that could have come from a Honda slides through snug gates as it actuates a tight, new linkage. Certain aspects of the interior, such as the 'ground speed' label in the speodmeter and the vacuum gauge atop the center stack, slip into aeronautical silliness, but the Mustang's interior is far and away the sharpest in class."

"We voted the challenger's engine and the Camaro's chassis our favorites, but both of those cars have glaring shortcomings not found in the Mustang. That bandwidth and adaptability make the Mustang our choice as the best product of Detroit's muscle-car reival."

On the Camaro:
"But after cycling through the cars, senior editor Tony Quiroga stepped out of the Camaro and proclaimed it a great track car- a meaningful distinction, as he called the Mustang a great road car (and the Challenger a great SUV). For all its heroics, the 1LE's stiff suspension beats up the occupants on bumpy drives. And while the Mustang brings an unprecedented level of interior polish to the class, the Camaro still plumbs the same old depth of penny pinching. It does have its upmarket touches--that steeering wheel and the matching shifter for example--and the designers ambitions are apparent. but they're executed in generation-old plastics on the lower dash, console, and elsewhere. Its a jarring pairing, like wearing a custom-tailored shirt with sweat pants. Stained sweat pants."

"The Camaro 1LE is a spectacular car, a testament to what a group of focused engineers can accomplish even inside a monolith like GM. But its definitely single purpose. The suspension trades comfort for capability to a degree that is hard to appreciate anywhere but on a track, and this interior would feel cramped and cheap at half of the 1LE's price."

:clap2:

I think that is a pretty spot on assessment of this bunch :headbang:
:lol: I brought this up in the "other" thread and was accused of being a fanboy making excuses. :shrug:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
:lol: I brought this up in the "other" thread and was accused of being a fanboy making excuses. :shrug:
You idiot, fanboy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:D:D

OP
OP
e30og

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

f that mess, the Mustang needs no excuses! Its a better all-around car

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Umm, I, and many others, never claimed the Mustang to not be the better car. I strictly said it was the better DD. As did MotorTrend. This Car and Driver article is saying the exact same thing as the MotorTrend article, they are just being nice about it.

OP
OP
e30og

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Umm, I, and many others, never claimed the Mustang to not be the better car. I strictly said it was the better DD. As did MotorTrend. This Car and Driver article is saying the exact same thing as the MotorTrend article, they are just being nice about it.
dont get your panties in a bunch, no one was accusing you or this rogue bandit group of 'and many others' of desecrating the sanctity of Mustang-greatness. Nothing personal to you or anyone else.

As for the motortrend article it barely mentioned anything about how poor the Camaro's interior was or how shitty the ride is off of the racetrack (where you will drive it 95% of the time). Also Car and Driver was harsh on the mustang for its faults too; they described the S197 as having a 'crack-house' interior haha. Motortrend spent too much time on the track behavior and spoke to nothing about the Camaro's DD ride quality IMO

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
dont get your panties in a bunch, no one was accusing you or this rogue bandit group of 'and many others' of desecrating the sanctity of Mustang-greatness. Nothing personal to you or anyone else.

As for the motortrend article it barely mentioned anything about how poor the Camaro's interior was or how shitty the ride is off of the racetrack (where you will drive it 95% of the time). Also Car and Driver was harsh on the mustang for its faults too; they described the S197 as having a 'crack-house' interior haha. Motortrend spent too much time on the track behavior and spoke to nothing about the Camaro's DD ride quality IMO
sorry if i came off like i was defending myself. more defending the many comments like mine from many people. Motortrend didn't specify but they clearly implied the Camaro's interior wasn't up to snuff by saying the Mustang is the much nicer car to sit in. The MT H2H comparison was also more of a Track/spirited driving comparison and not a comparison of the entirety of both cars. Most of the comments were relative to handling and track performance because that is what that comparison was all about. Motortrend wasn't trying to give anyone a comparison on the ability of each car as a DD, although they touched on it slightly, clearly stating the Mustang as the winner in that department.

I don't understand all the Motortrend hate, they highlighted the mustangs pro's and cons but only focused their commentary on the performance of both vehicles. As again, that's what their comparison was all about and there were many that wanted a review based solely on performance.

I never heard of a single person asking for a comparison of the Mustang interior vs the Camaro interior (pretty sure everyone already knew the answer to this question anyhow). Or even a comparison of ride quality as so many people are bringing up. The interest in comparing ride quality only came up when the cat was out of the bag and the 1LE was deemed the victor on the track and spirited driving. Everyone wanted to know how these things performed against each other. And motortrend gave these people what they wanted. Some just weren't happy with the result so they proceeded to bash the magazine.

For those not wanting to know strictly about performance we have articles like this C&D one. Which so far has no track or performance info.

BobDigi5060

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
sorry if i came off like i was defending myself. more defending the many comments like mine from many people. Motortrend didn't specify but they clearly implied the Camaro's interior wasn't up to snuff by saying the Mustang is the much nicer car to sit in. The MT H2H comparison was also more of a Track/spirited driving comparison and not a comparison of the entirety of both cars. Most of the comments were relative to handling and track performance because that is what that comparison was all about. Motortrend wasn't trying to give anyone a comparison on the ability of each car as a DD, although they touched on it slightly, clearly stating the Mustang as the winner in that department.

I don't understand all the Motortrend hate, they highlighted the mustangs pro's and cons but only focused their commentary on the performance of both vehicles. As again, that's what their comparison was all about and there were many that wanted a review based solely on performance.

I never heard of a single person asking for a comparison of the Mustang interior vs the Camaro interior (pretty sure everyone already knew the answer to this question anyhow). Or even a comparison of ride quality as so many people are bringing up. The interest in comparing ride quality only came up when the cat was out of the bag and the 1LE was deemed the victor on the track and spirited driving. Everyone wanted to know how these things performed against each other. And motortrend gave these people what they wanted. Some just weren't happy with the result so they proceeded to bash the magazine.

For those not wanting to know strictly about performance we have articles like this C&D one. Which so far has no track or performance info.
Well said.
Sponsored