RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This review (and others) make the MT review seem a little myopic. At the limit is basically where the 1LE outperforms the Mustang, and while MT spent their entire review at the limit, actual drivers (even ones who push the car hard) spend maybe 1% of their time at the limit.
I can understand the MT comparison, even if it was really focused on driving above all else. Carlos was posting on reddit and seemed to prefer it as an all round driving experience, not just at the limit. Curiously he made a statement that the ride quality wasn't noticeably worse in the 1LE during normal cruising. Either way, it's one more opinion to gather some perspective. I just don't understand why everyone analyzes these comparison results so digitally. They're both great cars!
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
yeah, as Oppo says, lets root for BOTH cars (+ the Challenger) and get more young people in either one. I work in tech and can tell you the these are a dying breed. Oldschool big V8 cars with character, looks sound and speed (and these days refinement) that the MIDDLE CLASS can enjoy. Australia had a similar rivalry going on with muscle cars from Holden and Ford and now Holden is dead.

We'll (meaning, the middle class) soon we be driving crap like this and/or fancy looking tesla like cars that will drive themselves and make fake sounds. The rich will be able to work around/buy themselves out of any punitive legislation that allows folks to drive themselves or imposes taxes on high output cars,V8's etc.
http://recodetech.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/early-vehicle-lores.jpg

It's already going on in Europe where people are driving cars with piped noises, small high boost turbos that sound like crap etc and out here Stateside with the increase of automation in cars.

It's funny when some of the Europeans crap on the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and then go onto compare them to Ferraris, AMG's etc. Its coz for most of these people, all of these are too expensive (from a purchase price cost and running cost, whether its through fuel, engine size surcharges etc) and while performance is similar (the Z28 was within a second of the Ferrari F12 around VIR, see 2014 Lightening Lap in C&D and Corvettes destroy most exotics on the track) its a theoretical debate on refinement, interior quality etc as opposed to caring about more boring things like cost of ownership, practicality, value for dollar etc.

Camaro, Mustang FTW! And lets be honest, this rivalry is elevating all brands.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, as Oppo says, lets root for BOTH cars (+ the Challenger) and get more young people in either one. I work in tech and can tell you the these are a dying breed. Oldschool big V8 cars with character, looks sound and speed (and these days refinement) that the MIDDLE CLASS can enjoy. Australia had a similar rivalry going on with muscle cars from Holden and Ford and now Holden is dead.

We'll (meaning, the middle class) soon we be driving crap like this and/or fancy looking tesla like cars that will drive themselves and make fake sounds. The rich will be able to work around/buy themselves out of any punitive legislation that allows folks to drive themselves or imposes taxes on high output cars,V8's etc.
http://recodetech.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/early-vehicle-lores.jpg

It's already going on in Europe where people are driving cars with piped noises, small high boost turbos that sound like crap etc and out here Stateside with the increase of automation in cars.

It's funny when some of the Europeans crap on the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and then go onto compare them to Ferraris, AMG's etc. Its coz for most of these people, all of these are too expensive and while performance is similar (the Z28 was within a second of the Ferrari F12 around VIR, see 2014 Lightening Lap in C&D and Corvettes destroy most exotics on the track) its a theoretical debate on refinement, interior quality etc as opposed to caring about more boring things like cost of ownership, practicality, value for dollar etc.

Camaro, Mustang FTW! And lets be honest, this rivalry is elevating all brands.
I've tried to get some hype going over on Bimmerpost but the folks over there are too concerned with the quality of the leather and plastics and the car's apparently the dimensional equivalent of an APC compared to what they're used to. I mean I get it, but they really don't seem to like the S550.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I've tried to get some hype going over on Bimmerpost but the folks over there are too concerned with the quality of the leather and plastics and the car's apparently the dimensional equivalent of an APC compared to what they're used to. I mean I get it, but they really don't seem to like the S550.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bimmerpost has been hijacked by the status folks who buy these cars on lease and couldnt care less if its FWD or RWD or reliability - the badge is all that matters.

A ton of the Bimmer enthusiasts have moved over the Ford (conquests) - look at the insane number of guys like me on 6G (former BMW owners who are now buying S550's and/or their first American performance car). 10 years ago the Bimmer guys were extolling the virtues of naturally aspirated engines, free revving behavior, tight steering, minimal electronics between the driver and wheels etc. They used to laugh at massive straight line power, large dimensions/seats etc. Bimmer's have never really been known for their top notch interiors, and honestly the S550 interior is nicer to me than the M235/2 series and IMHO the 3 series as well and I dont mean price adjusted.

Now all of a sudden with the massive M5, the numb 335 etc they are embracing quarter mile times, power at the wheels and brushing away complaints of soulless-ness, numb steering, driver disconnect etc. I think many of the enthusiasts have moved on, at the moment the only choice is the M235i , the M4 is too expensive and not as involving (although it pulls some serious perf numbers). I also feel folks there look at the Mustang (and Cadillac ATS) as a threat, hence the hate. Back in the day the Mustang and Corvette would not even be discussed or enter the vocabulary of BMW guys - the difference in performance (not straight line), handling and interiors was huge.

Sponsored

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
I owned 2 BMW's

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I sold them because they were always in the shop for repair (and BMW repairs cost big $$$$). The quality myth is BS.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Bimmer's have never really been known for their top notch interiors, and honestly the S550 interior is nicer to me than the M235/2 series and IMHO the 3 series as well and I dont mean price adjusted.
Whether the S550 interior is better than the BMW 2/3 series or not is debatable. But the fact that it's debatable tells you all you need to know. BMW is the standard others measure themselves against. Mustang is in the same discussion now.
Sponsored