Decision between MagneRide and non-MagneRide

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
The price difference is very low, I will go for the lower mileage one with Magneride.
I have Magneride and I absolutely love it. In fact, all my cars have dynamic dampers and once you join the club, you don't look back.

You just have to like the silver color though.
Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The opinion of other owners regarding Magneride is not of great importance. They (that includes myself, even as an engineer) are not equipped to implement or review engineering or professional driver data. Why do you think almost all supercar builders license Magneride ? Because it's far superior to any other shock technology, and the bang for the buck cost vs. benefit makes it essentially a no brainer.

Separately, I happen to own a C7 Corvette Z06, and a 2019 Shelby GT350, both with Magneride.
Result - terrific technology. I have to laugh at supercar builders that license it but of course have to come up with another name as advertising, "we implement Magneride on our $400,000 car because it's used on Mustangs and Corvettes". Wouldn't work too well.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
That's stretching the truth harder than taffy! You guys make fine stuff but let's not suggest a classic damper is in any way the same thing as a computer controlled electronic and tunable item with user selectable damping maps.

Granted Magride as delivered by Ford is merely "meh" compared to what GM does with theirs.

If you're just tooling around either setup will suffice. If you have good pavement and really crap pavement then toggle of modes via MR is very handy.

The pricing on the older car seems quite rich vs the newer one.

The most important mod is to lock out the bushings on the irs and add bits of the StopHop kit. The MR otherwise unmolested works noticeably better once the rear of the car is fixed in place.

Facts, no cap.

Steeda's exclusive Pro Action Active Shocks & Struts design and the Ford MagneRide System are both suspension systems designed to provide improved handling and ride quality for vehicles.

They are similar as they both provide active dampening technology to changing road conditions.

1. Steeda's Pro-Active Shocks & Struts use advanced technology to adjust the suspension in real-time - based on a unique valve design that automatically adjusts to road conditions, while the Ford MagneRide system uses magnetic particles in the shock absorber fluid to adjust damping rates in real-time
  2. Both systems are designed to improve handling performance. The Steeda Pro-Action shocks and struts are specifically engineered & have been tested time & time again to provide more precise control over vehicle motion, while the Ford MagneRide system helps to reduce body roll and improve cornering ability with their dampening technology.
  3. Steeda offers a range of Pro Action shocks and struts with different valving options, allowing drivers to fine-tune their suspension to their liking.
Overall, both Steeda's Pro Action Active Shocks & Struts and the Ford MagneRide system are advanced suspension systems that offer improved handling and ride quality for drivers who demand the best performance from their vehicles.

True or False - Similar refers to two or more things that share common characteristics, qualities, or features, to the extent that they can be compared or thought of as alike. This can apply to various aspects such as appearance, behavior, function, purpose, or any other relevant attributes that allow for comparison and identification of similarities

Best Regards,

TJ

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
I’d pay the extra just for the lower mileage. The fact that it’s also got Magneride would be icing and a cherry on the cake.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I agree with Tinpot. Lower miles + Magneride = winner.
Agreed, lower miles and magneride would be my recommendation.

OP, if you aren't itching to buy right away, maybe wait a bit and see what else shows up? Going into spring/early summer there are bound to be some good options for you to check out. Just make sure to get an inspection and collect any service records the car might have. But between the two choices you talked about, I'd go with the lower miles and magneride one.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
The 2021 with MagRide would be my choice - hands down. If it has to be black, I'd think there are quite a few in this configuration out there on the used market. Get what you really want without compromising.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’ll chime in on the tires since I don’t have any further to add regarding the car (newer + lower mileage all day). Michelin PS4S and Continental Extreme Contact Sport02 are the best out there as far as summer tires that also do great in the wet. I personally run the Continental (I have the original ECS, the 02’s just came out) and they’re great. Square setup is the way to go if you want to be able rotate and just have a more balanced setup. SVE makes some nice wheels at a good price. There’s other good ones out there too (Project 6GR, Apex, Velgen, etc.) that are Mustang specific as far as hub bore, offset and backspacing. So they’re just plug and play. Good luck!

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
People that are willing to mismatch tires probably don’t take very good care of their cars. You could say the same thing about people that put useless tires on… The car without Magneride has basically twice the miles, that’s worth $1500 to me.

OP
OP
Conquistador555
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dodd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP1
OK, you guys have sold me on the MagneRide. I appreciate all the honest answers.

I don't intend to ever track it, but never say never, so that's not a consideration right now at least.

On the silver one, yes, it was a concern that if someone has 3 brands of tires, how well do they take care of their car. Maybe he wore out the rear ones and replaced, then needed 1 replaced again but knew he was trading it in and threw on something cheap so as to not throw money down the drain? Who knows. I certainly know of many dealers over the years that couldn't tell you a thing about quality of rubber other than it appears to have tread left. :) I'm trying to get that thought out of my head that it could've been taken care of better. Miles are lower at least, right?

So, some other questions while I've been digging around on the MagneRide. Looks like I can install a few different kits, the Ford Performance MagneRide Handling Pack that will lower it 20mm and has sway bars. Can someone explain the calibration update that requires the Ford calibration tool/PCM programmer? What does this entail, cost, etc.? Dealer only for this?

I see that Roush has just the springs that will take her down 30mm and I can download their Windows app and flash it myself. What tool/how much do I need for this? I've seen some on Amazon for around $25 and up. Will these work?

Lastly, even though I'm in sunny Florida all the time, are there any other all season tires that have longer tread life that are (even) close to the grip of the Michelin 4S or Continental Sport 02? I may be reaching here but I'm going to try to contact the dealer on the Silver one and see if I can negotiate a new set of rubber so just trying to look at and plan some options and backup plans.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah see if you can negotiate with them on the budget tires. Worst case you can flip the tires locally after the sale and use the proceeds to offset the not insignificant cost of better tires like MP4S

Magnaride is a great choice on a non-tracked daily driver. Basically best of both worlds.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
The 21 for only 1500 over and half the miles. That would be a no brainer for me. I do have Magneride and I love it. Mine is a PP1 car, it rides real good in normal mode and tightens up really nice in Sport plus and track. If the color isn't a factor, I would buy the 21 all day long magneride or not. As for tires, I went with the Michelin Pilot All season 4. They are fantastic, rated for 40k I believe. They handle really well for an all season.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Get the '21 and 4 new top quality tires before you get home.

I know there's differing opinions on tires. Michelin Pilot Sports came on my '20 PP1 with Magneride from the factory and I could not be happier.

Besides and most importantly, come June, July, and august, tires usually are difficult to find in some sizes. Get 'er done now, you will never regret it.

Good luck Bud!

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
$1,500.00 for 1/2 the miles AND Magneride?

C'mon dude.....be serious. This isn't even a question.

For real.

Dinogirlsdad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
First post, just getting back into Mustangs now that I got my twins into college and I can get a 'for me' car again. Need some input from you guys on this.

I'm looking at a couple of used models coupes. They both have/are automatic, PP1, active valve, safe and smart, B&O (which I've heard kinda sucks) the extra security packages.

Differences:

Silver
MagneRide
25k miles
+$1500 over the 2020
Original black OEM wheels
Tires-needs new tires right now as it has a combination of a Michelin, 2 Pirellis and a Delinte

Rapid Red
NO MagneRide
48k miles
Original black OEM wheels
Tires-has new rubber but it's the cheap Sumitomo all season tires the dealer threw on. I live in South Florida so heat and rain are my only concerns.
One has the MagneRide and the other one doesn't. With the MagneRide is a '21 with about 25k miles and the one without Mag is a '20 with about 48k miles.

What's the thoughts on the MagneRide? I've read where some of you guys swear by the difference it makes, others could care less. I do not intend to track this thing, but I want to hang on to it for a long time. For what it's worth, I've heard that retro installing MagneRide isn't worth it so there's that and I wouldn't want to anyway.

What about rubber? Is the Sumitomo set that bad?? Other than the original Michelins, what are the best options for a tire for South Florida?

I've wanted to even put on bigger shoes, maybe a takeoff set of PP2 or other (if they're even worth it). Or put on a square set of wheels/tires while I'm at it.

Neither is my preferred color black if I ordered new, but I can live with either color so that's not a factor.

I appreciate the input, I'm really on the fence.
I went from a 2018 Performance pack to a 2020 Performance pack premium with magneride. It is drastic the difference. The car is feeling like it's on rails. I am more confident with spirited driving and I love all the other premium options. Going to be the last car I ever buy
Sponsored