Sponsored

Magneride

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It's pretty much made by only one manufacturer so all those high end exotics and luxury cars that have it have pretty much what the Mustang would have minus the calculations. So to answer your question, there would be no reason it wouldn't be worth having. If I could have found one from a dealer spec'd with it, I would have gotten it. Especially now that I know I'm not even bugged by the stock height of the 2018. I was afraid i'd want to lower it like I did as soon as I got my 16, nope. I actually was wondering if the 2018 just looked lower or was lower than the 15-17. Was parked by one this weekend with stock springs, my god the 15-17 look much more like a 4x4 than the 2018's on stock height.
I think it is about 0.75 to 1 inch lower. Still high enough to safely clear most parking bumpers.
Sponsored

FabTbird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My previous 2013 Mustang gt premium all stock had a very firm ride. Firm enough that we wouldn't drive it more than about 300 miles on a road trip. My 2018 Mustang GT premium with pp1 magnaride and active exhaust is totally different. As already mentioned very smooth ride on rougher road or interstates and very flat in turns. With the much more comfortable seats and magnaride, we just took it 500 miles from Cincinnati to Toronto and it was great. I love the car.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
It's pretty much made by only one manufacturer so all those high end exotics and luxury cars that have it have pretty much what the Mustang would have minus the calculations. So to answer your question, there would be no reason it wouldn't be worth having. If I could have found one from a dealer spec'd with it, I would have gotten it. Especially now that I know I'm not even bugged by the stock height of the 2018. I was afraid i'd want to lower it like I did as soon as I got my 16, nope. I actually was wondering if the 2018 just looked lower or was lower than the 15-17. Was parked by one this weekend with stock springs, my god the 15-17 look much more like a 4x4 than the 2018's on stock height.

Interesting observation on height /appearance
If i was still interested in lowering a 2018 magnaride GT after I take delivery, what brand of lowering springs does anyone suggest or recommend?

Many thanks

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I posted this yesterday in another thread.

Speaking from experience with 8K (9K now) miles and half a dozen SCCA Tours/Pro Solos this year on our A10 GTPP with MagneRide get MagneRide if you want a good street, highway, and street class autocross car in stock trim (i.e. no modifications). Normal mode is very comfortable AND controlled on rough roads and Track mode is very good for autocross.
Note that in my case I wanted a GT PP with 301A and if MagneRide wasn't an option I would have purchased Koni's so the additional cost for MagneRide was "only" the difference between Konis and MagneRide. I.e. "racer math".

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The funny thing is I find my car to be very comfortable too while being extremely tight and flat through corners. That is when the 20 inch wheels which is similar to the pp1 option chassis.

I've only pulled a 0.7 g lateral so far but the car didn't feel like it rolled or flexed at all.

Magneride must be very impressive!

Sponsored

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
The magnaride, active exhaust, and heated steering wheel is what made my decision over the Camaro 2SS, despite the fact that caused the '18 GT to leapfrog the Camaro in price...so I guess I was Ford's target demographic. It helped that the Mustang PP1 has the big brakes and more upscale-feeling appointments (including the digi dash with the 401a needed for the heated wheel), offsetting the 2SS standard HUD.

Since buying the car, it has taught me I'm turning into an old man...my preferred commute mode is "normal"/"quiet", but I do appreciate and like the occasional "Sport+"/"Loud" option. What I hear in "Quiet" at WOT in the upper rpm range still sounds good to me. The loud mode is very fun, but when it really adds zero horsepower, I can't help feel like it is only "see me/hear me/envy me/provoke you" mode.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Interesting observation on height /appearance
If i was still interested in lowering a 2018 magnaride GT after I take delivery, what brand of lowering springs does anyone suggest or recommend?

Many thanks
i have been debating this, BMR and steeda make magneride specific springs which lower the car between .7-1 inch. the car sits nice as it is, but a tad lower might look good too. i havent decided yet.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Pricey option having to add the PP. I hope Ford changes this for 2019... Give non PP cars magnaride option.

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The 2019 order guide still shows magneride requiring the PP

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Pricey option having to add the PP. I hope Ford changes this for 2019... Give non PP cars magnaride option.
I doubt this will change. it gets costly having any combination of packages and options so ford has to group things together so not to face extended production time and costs. makes sense that someone looking for magneride is performance oriented and would likely want the performance pack as well.

Sponsored

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the only real problem with the mag ride, and that is small fact that the ride modes are locked into the drive modes and are not independently selective.

If you only drive on smooth roads you will not understated the problem, however if you only ever drive in track mode (or even sport +) as you want the most immediate throttle response, and most of roads in your area are all pot holed back roads you will understand, as in its current format the suspension will be to harsh.

You need to be able to select the softer ride modes independently of the drive mode

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the only real problem with the mag ride, and that is small fact that the ride modes are locked into the drive modes and are not independently selective.

If you only drive on smooth roads you will not understated the problem, however if you only ever drive in track mode (or even sport +) as you want the most immediate throttle response, and most of roads in your area are all pot holed back roads you will understand, as in its current format the suspension will be to harsh.

You need to be able to select the softer ride modes independently of the drive mode
I kind of wish all options were like that and easier to set. Those one direction toggle switches look cool but really suck to use.

Doesn't it also react dynamically in any mode. Such as if you drive down a twisty road doesn't it automatically tighten up?

cobrapatrol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
1969 Triumph TR6, 2018 GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^^
I agree with dddd that it would be nice to have control over the MR separate from the throttle response. Also with michail71 about the one-way toggle switches. I love the MR and it really was one of the biggest factors that impressed me even during a dealership test ride. I'm a littler older now and appreciate the optimization of ride comfort and handling. I just wish there was some badging and digital readout dedicated to the MR feature. Surely the Shelbys have some MR control.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I feel the same way, would like the option to have control over MR. Also would like "MyMode" to be the mode it starts up in every time.. its MyMode for a reason. I never really played with the options like sport and track, mainly keep it in normal, but went down a bump road with each mode to feel the difference and was still surprised at how well it felt in race. Even the stiffest setting felt much better then friends mid level coilover setups on their cars. Everything felt tight and in control.
Sponsored