Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Excellent post, Mark, did you count the number of times you unlocked the hood? <smile>

Since I got the car, I had been dropping the hood from maybe 8 inches and after my first adjustment, I got that down to about four inches.

Then Tom mentioned the idea of manually latching and that worked except, I have to push the center latch down first to get it to engage and then the sides. I like this MUCH better than dropping the hood.
Sponsored

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Well the dealer runaround continues for me. I have had issues before with this dealership regarding the car prep, unexplained mileage, paint problems etc. Today was similar. No returns on calls or texts regarding the hood. Amazing how quick calls and texts are returned when a sale is being negotiated. Sure is a different story when help is needed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Excellent post, Mark, did you count the number of times you unlocked the hood? <smile>

Since I got the car, I had been dropping the hood from maybe 8 inches and after my first adjustment, I got that down to about four inches.

Then Tom mentioned the idea of manually latching and that worked except, I have to push the center latch down first to get it to engage and then the sides. I like this MUCH better than dropping the hood.
Maybe your bumpers are still too high? I can gently place my hood down, then press the right pin, then the left, and then the center. Fully latched.

That hood went over 180 mph with those settings, so they are stable. There is no reason anyone should have their stops putting any kind of force against that hood knowing there is a structural problem with that hood. I'd rather have panel alignment issues for the short term than have a hood crack..... especially with paintes on stripes.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Of the other 12 cracked hoods reported on here besides mine, has anyone attempted to get the hood replaced? If so, how is it going?

Sponsored

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
Mine is just a hair line crack, if it stays as is I will leave it, if it escalates I will seek a replacement

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Mine is just a hair line crack, if it stays as is I will leave it, if it escalates I will seek a replacement
I would take it to the dealer and have their service department document the crack. That way you are covered in the future and Ford will be made aware of another cracked hood..

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
Good thought Earl, Probably a good idea to have it documented.

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
Any of y’all know if Ford would ship a painted and striped hood from the factory ? Even the dealership felt awry about having to get it painted locally smh what a cluster ****.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Any of y’all know if Ford would ship a painted and striped hood from the factory ? Even the dealership felt awry about having to get it painted locally smh what a cluster ****.
You can't pre-paint stripes on a hood. The hood has to be fitted first because fitment varies. As for pre-painting the hood color, variations in paint do and can occur. The paint would have to be matched to your existing car. Sure, oxford white is oxford white, but this becomes more of an issue with some of the more complicated colors.

Your best bet is to find the best body shop in the area and let them do the work. Ford covers you to use outside shops, so do your homework.

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
If your own body shop uses the PPG system, which I believe Penske uses then your match should be perfect. How ever if the guy was sloppy in batching off the machine then prey............
Most good body shops will have more than one system.

Raven9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 1967 Mercury Cougar
Well you can add me to the list. Cracks on both sides.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at it more closely both crack are directly below where the adjustable rubber stops come in contact with the hood. I’ve not adjusted the stops at all. I’m guessing that has something to do with the cracks.

594D6874-5C37-4111-A710-78CFF7CD6C6B.jpeg

AE64ACCB-D573-4952-A068-9D49E4D0ECEC.jpeg
HK, I actually never looked at these photos closely before but now that I have, I see that the rubber stops are adjusted way too high. Those stops are domed, not flat and for them to leave an impression that large on the underside of the hood, indicates there is a lot of pressure from the hood forcing down on them. In this post here ( #178 ) I explained how I made sure there was the slightest pressure evenly on those stops. I am no expert in this area or for certain why the hoods are cracking but I would suggest everyone lower those stops down and make sure they only barely touch the hood when closed.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
HK, I actually never looked at these photos closely before but now that I have, I see that the rubber stops are adjusted way too high. Those stops are domed, not flat and for them to leave an impression that large indicates there is a lot of pressure from the hood forcing down on them. In this post here ( #178 ) I explained how I made sure there was the slightest pressure evenly on those stops. I am no expert in this area or for certain why the hoods are cracking but I would suggest everyone lower those stops down and make sure they only barely touch the hood when closed.
agreed. If you cant latch your pins by simply pressing down on them, then they are too high.
Sponsored