2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
Haven't heard that one yet but sounds nice
Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Funny i talked to one of the popular catback manufacturers and he mentioned that they coyote has one of the worst harmonics / exhaust note. It's just noisy and unclean.

I tend to agree. Yes its a V8, but not a very good sounding one compared to others.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
I say it really depends on what your after. The S550 Coyote is a different kind of mill, and it has a different kind of sound. My personal take is, it's a little too raspy that I would like it to be. Some people like that tone however, and some manufactures build exhaust systems around that style tone and embrace it (Corsa).

You put an H-Pipe on the S550, and the tone changes completely. I for one, am very interested in that AWE exhaust system. Has exactly the kind of tone I want, I just want it with quad tips so I can use the GT350 rear valance.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
The '18+/gen3 stock is markedly improved in tone. That said, after I swapped my 15's suitcase for a borla switchfire and added flowFX back boxes, it sounds like Joe Satriani follows me wherever I go.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I think you're crazy, the gen 3 with a resonator delete, H-pipe and axle back sounds amazing. Loud, but it rumbles and growls, sounds mean. Very deep tone too. The downshifts from the 10 speed auto in sport mode is amazing.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My 20 GT with non active exhaust and a resonator delete H pipe is borderline anti social on cold start. Thankfully I have a few people in my condo give me a thumbs up.
Can't imagine having to go to work at 5am.
When warm it is still plenty loud.
Still experimenting with higher RPM's at all times. 3k plus at all times seems nice.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Embrace the rasp. It's the voice of the Coyote.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It’s rowdy, not refined.

All 4.6 2v/3v/4v cars have a very hollow/echo sounding exhaust and is to me the essential Mustang sound other than a cammed 5.0 (pushrod) car (excluding classic Stangs).

The Coyote does not seem to pair well with chambered mufflers like previous generations. Almost the opposite of previous gen cars. It gets raspy once you get on it but man, when you cross the sweet spot around 4K on up, it’s like the floodgates open and the symphony begins.

Muffler location makes a difference on these cars too. I have a mid muffler setup on my GT (resonators, moreso) and it sounds distinctly different than other GT’s.

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It’s rowdy, not refined.

All 4.6 2v/3v/4v cars have a very hollow/echo sounding exhaust and is to me the essential Mustang sound other than a cammed 5.0 (pushrod) car (excluding classic Stangs).

The Coyote does not seem to pair well with chambered mufflers like previous generations. Almost the opposite of previous gen cars. It gets raspy once you get on it but man, when you cross the sweet spot around 4K on up, it’s like the floodgates open and the symphony begins.

Muffler location makes a difference on these cars too. I have a mid muffler setup on my GT (resonators, moreso) and it sounds distinctly different than other GT’s.
It’s rowdy, not refined.

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
To answer gdillion556's original question, I believe the main reason that the S550 Mustangs don't have the exhaust sound of some previous generation mustangs is because once Ford start selling mustangs in overseas' markets, they had to tune down the exhaust due to more stringent noise requirements.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My 20 GT with non active exhaust and a resonator delete H pipe is borderline anti social on cold start. Thankfully I have a few people in my condo give me a thumbs up.
Can't imagine having to go to work at 5am.
When warm it is still plenty loud.
Still experimenting with higher RPM's at all times. 3k plus at all times seems nice.
I have the X pipe on mine with everything else stock and it sounds great! I want axle backs mainly for the look but everything I've read is that no matter what you get, it'll be louder than stock. Spending 1k or more just for the look and a sound I may or may not like is just foolish lol. After all that, if I did go with something I'm thinking Borla touring.

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I've got an h-pipe and AE and I am pretty fond of the sound, personally.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Slap some Corsa extremes on it and it will sound killer with the stock cats and resonator of course.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
To answer gdillion556's original question, I believe the main reason that the S550 Mustangs don't have the exhaust sound of some previous generation mustangs is because once Ford start selling mustangs in overseas' markets, they had to tune down the exhaust due to more stringent noise requirements.
American cars have a different exhaust system than the export cars though, so I don't think it's that. I think it's just the firing order combined with the high compression. Honestly I love how muffler deletes or a straight through chamber sounds on these cars with the stock resonator. It's extremely rowdy and muscle car like.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
American cars have a different exhaust system than the export cars though, so I don't think it's that. I think it's just the firing order combined with the high compression. Honestly I love how muffler deletes or a straight through chamber sounds on these cars with the stock resonator. It's extremely rowdy and muscle car like.
The coyote sound (vs others) is firing order, header design mostly. Also being 4V per cylinder changes it vs. other American V8s.
Sponsored

Last edited: