Sponsored

Old school exhaust note

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not many videos around with the Legato exhaust. Found this though and it sounds pretty sweet!

It is combined with an H-pipe which I'm sure helps. Would like to hear it start up or some low revs. I think it's gonna be difficult for me to get one of these systems in the UK
Best sounding exhaust in this thread. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've always wanted the exhaust tone from the 68' Mustang Fastback in "The Last American Hero". That's always been the perfect sound to me. I believe it was a 390 in the car. I'm happy with the Roush X-pipe combo on my GT, but it's a more modern sound.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I wanted the same old school sound. My favorite mufflers were Hollywood Deep-Tones, but I don't think they have made them for about 30 years - I had them on my 1970 Torino with a 351 Cleveland - sweet sound.

I went with MagnaFlow's Competition Series axle-back exhaust with stock resonator. Got a very nice deep tone with zero rasp. It's not super loud and that is exactly what I wanted since this is my DD and I have an hour long commute.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
You're not going to get the sound of a 390 CI w/thrushes from a modern modular motor........It just ain't gonna happen...Unless you're calling a 94 and up old school...

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
To me the old school sound is the MagnaFlow Competition catback, It is like living the Bullitt soundtrack;

[ame]

Sponsored

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
To me the old school sound is the MagnaFlow Competition catback, It is like living the Bullitt soundtrack;

Thanks!

We try to keep some of that oldschool sound in our muscle car systems, but as mentioned, different motors will always have different sound characteristics at the end of the day so it will be tough to replicate it 100%

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

Disregard my prior post. I see the difference now in the video. Nice sounding system.

Last edited:

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Me too, I really like that deep tone, great sounding system :thumbsup:
Only thing I dislike is a little 4 banger rasp on deceleration when rev'ed up at the high rpm while stationary, if that can be corrected I would consider getting this exhaust for sure

Thanks for a video, never seen that one tho:cheers:

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I really think the Legato system could be the answer to this one, but the axle back won't cut it, it needs an H pipe or some other set up.

I know it can't be directly compared but just listen to this Challenger with the legato system. It has 2 mufflers where the resonator would be then just straight pipes out to the tail. Again, the positioning of the mufflers might make a big difference in this case.

[ame]

Sponsored

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
Here's mine: pair of 3" Dynomax Mini Race Bullets...haven't heard a better or deeper (or louder for that matter) set up yet. Mine has an X-Pipe, I'd imagine with a H-Pipe it would sound really old school! Put on some headphones to do the video justice....

[ame]

Outside...

[ame]

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I really think the Legato system could be the answer to this one, but the axle back won't cut it, it needs an H pipe or some other set up.

I know it can't be directly compared but just listen to this Challenger with the legato system. It has 2 mufflers where the resonator would be then just straight pipes out to the tail. Again, the positioning of the mufflers might make a big difference in this case.

H pipe with two mini bullet resonantors right behind the H if it's still too raspy for you.

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Guys been putting resonated muffler bullets behind X or H pipe for better drone and rasp control. Most axlebacks with H/X pipe will be subject to excessive rasp or drone or both. So, it depends if you're willing to take chances on your exhaust build by allocating extra funds for redo/s if you're not satisfied. I know people going trough 5 catbacks before finding the right one. Toll .
If I'd be in your shoes, I'd do it either by building exhaust system backwards or start from LTHs and move towards back
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

#1 Axleback exhaust ($300+) your labor $0 or shop install $60, still you can move up front and do some additional work as your funds allow in case the sound isn't satisfying your ear drums
#2 LTHs at around $1000+ and labor $500-800

Pick your poison.

Nick610s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Flowmaster super 40 mufflers should give you a hollow sound. Also, a non pulse equalizing exhaust (so basically straight piped no x or h)makes the exhaust tone on these cars very deep. I have a buddy that went this route, although he is straight pipe, no mufflers. It's the deepest growl I've heard from any of the systems out there. So I figure that with a pair of super 40's gives you that chambered exhaust note. Oh and maybe dump the exhaust before the axles to get the sound to bounce off the ground. just my $.02

elle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I liked the ARH sound the best. Corsa was close. Called both and ARH is at least a 2 week wait. Wife pulled the trigger on a Corsa sport. She wants sound but not "loud"
Sponsored