Coyote Exhaust Note

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford's default exhaust, at least on the 18+, focuses purely on the low end growl and muscle car type sound. I threw on muffler deletes and nothing else and love it, it sounds amazing, and I've not heard one person in my friend group that doesn't love it. It's stupidly loud of course, but it grew on me.

With that said, the engine has a duality that most do not. You can have it sound like an exotic race car, or a traditional push rod muscle car. I personally like both types of sounds, the higher pitched exhausts like the Corsa remind me of the Ferrari 4.5L and similar engines. You can change it up whenever you want, so worrying about what the car is "supposed" to sound like strikes me as kind of pointless.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
"You can have it sound like an exotic race car"

Actually it is what we have....

This is what attracted me to the Mustang. Has a crisp high revving, fire breathing sound. I bet if one could look under the car running open headers hard on the power. You could see flames shooting from the collectors.

It is a very anger sound .

Have another car, stroker motor, sprit car headers, has the sound many say they miss, owning the Mustang.

I have not heard any Mustang exhaust system, reproducing that exhaust note.

Some systems come close, at idle, off idle the tone rises. Not a bad thing, it just is. Has a lot to do with the head design, 4 valves, and OHCs.

MY point is, celebrate embrace, and enhance the exotic race car DNA sound the Mustang has.. It's a beautiful thing.

Or keep chasing that rabbit, the push rod V8 sound, down a hole.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don't know what Ford did different on the Bullitt exhaust, but it sounds incredible right out of the box, especially in sport mode. No need to change anything. Best sounding V8 I've ever owned, and they've been quite a few :).

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know what Ford did different on the Bullitt exhaust, but it sounds incredible right out of the box, especially in sport mode. No need to change anything. Best sounding V8 I've ever owned, and they've been quite a few :).
Did they actually do anything different with the Bullitt’s exhaust ?

I had heard it rumoured, but then others had said the part numbers were the same as the GT’s ?

Just interested :like:

WD :like:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Did they actually do anything different with the Bullitt’s exhaust ?

I had heard it rumoured, but then others had said the part numbers were the same as the GT’s ?

Just interested :like:

WD :like:
Just the tune is different isn't it the same hardware for the exhaust? The different intake will also slightly alter the exhaust note but primarily the tune is my guess.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just the tune is different isn't it the same hardware for the exhaust? The different intake will also slightly alter the exhaust note but primarily the tune is my guess.
Yes, the Bullitt has more fuel overrun in the tune. More pops and burbles.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
It’s rowdy, not refined.

All 4.6 2v/3v/4v cars have a very hollow/echo sounding exhaust and is to me the essential Mustang sound other than a cammed 5.0 (pushrod) car (excluding classic Stangs).

The Coyote does not seem to pair well with chambered mufflers like previous generations. Almost the opposite of previous gen cars. It gets raspy once you get on it but man, when you cross the sweet spot around 4K on up, it’s like the floodgates open and the symphony begins.

Muffler location makes a difference on these cars too. I have a mid muffler setup on my GT (resonators, moreso) and it sounds distinctly different than other GT’s.
To answer gdillion556's original question, I believe the main reason that the S550 Mustangs don't have the exhaust sound of some previous generation mustangs is because once Ford start selling mustangs in overseas' markets, they had to tune down the exhaust due to more stringent noise requirements.
I would think overseas would be less restrictive. I mean look at the emission and crash standards cars need to pass before selling in the U.S.

Anway I believe chambered mufflers work well in obtaining that deep sound. I have the 2011/12 GT500 mufflers with an MRT H-pipe. This combo gets very close to the Mustang sound. Of course sound is subjective. What is the Mustang sound you ask? Well it's a 1992 Mustang 5.0 with Flowmaster 40's and a MAC H-pipe, a 2003 Cobra with and X-pipe and Borla Stingers, or a 1966 Mustang GT with a 289 and, you guessed it, Flowmasters. With those, you can close your eyes and unmistakably guess Mustang.

When I first heard the Coyote, especially the S550, I thought ehhh, not quite what I was expecting. I do like the sound of the GT350, but as an exotic race car sound. I searched different options: Solo, MBRP, Ford Racing, Borla, Corsa etc. My favorites were the Corsa Sport/Touring, Borla Sport. They were deep, rumbly, but got raspy at high rpm. I thought, hey, close enough. Then I came across someone who custom welded a pair of GT500 mufflers with and X-pipe. At first I didn't like the idea of custom welding the exhaust. But I loved the sound, and it would be cheaper than a whole new catback, and it wouldn't be a combo that the masses would have. Also maybe if I tired an H-pipe it would sound even deeper.

As far as the sound, it's louder, but not obnoxious. It's how it should have sounded from the factory, especially since the mufflers are factory issue on a GT500. On idle it sounds similar to the older 5.0, that deep, hollow rumble. Under casual acceleration and cruise, same thing, deep throaty rumble. I may even say it almost sounds like those high powered speedboats, or a Hemi powered Ram with an exhaust upgrade. Under hard acceleration, it keeps the deep tone, it doesn't get raspy. In fact there is an in car video on YouTube with this setup. It sounds like the 1967 Mustang in “Bullitt.” It keeps a clean, throaty exhaust note. The guy I got the idea from also put headers later. It sounds even better.

Last edited:

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
The stock 18 up mufflers are just too tinny for me. I had a catless x piped 14 coyote with race bullet mufflers. Way too glass pack sounding imo. The american thunder Flowmaster system on stock resonator/cats sounds like classic v8. Beefed up the low to mid tones with the traditional Flowmaster howl under wot. To each his own...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not that I own one, but the best sounding V8 Mustang by far is the Bullitt IMO. I never liked the raspy Coyote tone, but when I heard a Bullitt, I was sold. Never even saw that movie, but bought the car for the exhaust alone. Ha ha. And it was also the cheapest fully-loaded GT by a wide margin, so ended up with one :).
Sponsored