Sponsored

Hideous exhaust note

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I couldn't disagree more, and I had it paired with one of the more raspy axlebacks (Corsa Sport, the Xtreme mufflers). No rasp at all, but I do agree that it quieted it down and neutered tone of the exhaust too much. Agreed that two inline resonators with a regular X is where it's at.
Is that with headers?

I also found that axle back deletes actually sounded good with the catted tsp headers and magna x but there drone was insane. I don't mind some drone but damn the drone would shake you to death.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Is that with headers?

I also found that axle back deletes actually sounded good with the catted tsp headers and magna x but there drone was insane. I don't mind some drone but damn the drone would shake you to death.
Stock headers.

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I just added Texas Speed catted long tube headers. I already had a xpipe and Roush axel back. The sound is terrible extremely raspy! Don’t mind loud but can’t stand the raspy ness turned up to 100!
Will replacing the xpipe with a hpipe make a difference? Or should I just buy a new cat back? Some people are telling me to put resonators back on. Want to buy something today, I can’t drive this thing like this. Any help is appreciated
Best bet is to weld the factory resonator in or get the vibrant resonators..

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Stock headers.
You wouldn't think headers add a ton of sound but lord they do haha I found that out first hand. And a ton of rasp (from what I read tsp headers are generally raspy than other sets but I don't know how accurate that is). The only way to cover it up is with sound. But when you have headers there is not much you can do unless you want to be NASCAR loud. Go too quiet like I did and it is rasp city with a bad sound or delete the mufflers and have too much drone. I finally have a set up which is louder than the roush ab/h pipe combo I had but not to the silly point of headers/h pipe and roush ab which is way too loud.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You wouldn't think headers add a ton of sound but lord they do haha I found that out first hand. And a ton of rasp (from what I read tsp headers are generally raspy than other sets but I don't know how accurate that is). The only way to cover it up is with sound. But when you have headers there is not much you can do unless you want to be NASCAR loud. Go too quiet like I did and it is rasp city with a bad sound or delete the mufflers and have too much drone. I finally have a set up which is louder than the roush ab/h pipe combo I had but not to the silly point of headers/h pipe and roush ab which is way too loud.
Do you have catted headers? I assume high flow cats also help tone things down.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Depends alot on the cat back really. Mine are catted but not toned down... yet.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
When they first were put on they had no cats. But the smell was really bad so I looked to add cats. A few days after the header install I had the magnaflow put on and then someone sold me some cats from another set of headers which were put on 3-4 weeks after that. I honestly have no clue on the sound change I didn’t hear a difference.

But with the “high flow” cats and the two 12” resonators I had welded onto my old H it does make the car loud but not like I had it right after he header installs.

I would say

11/10 loudness with the catless headers, h pipe and r ab.

8/10 loudness with headers plus cats, the two resonators + h pipe and r ab.

6/10 with just h pipe and r ab, stock headers.

5.5/10 with catted headers, magnaflow x and no mufflers.

4.5/10 with catted headers, magna x and r ab.

2/10 with just h pipe.

1/10 stock

People say the roush ab and a x/h pipe are loud but I don’t think they are that loud. Some people say that 11/10 set up is not bad so it’s all subjective. That 8/10 is where I would stop at myself. Anyone looking to do headers should be aware that it could potentially add a ton of sound and rasp that you have to “fix” with either stuff in the middle or changing the mufflers, etc not a whole lot of room to stuff a ton of stuff.

Catless also stinks. I expect some people may be used to the smell and they wouldn’t mind but I won’t go without cats again myself. Thankfully someone had a set from the other cheap header brand and they clamped on with no issues.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Seems to be a common problem on our platform! :)
"I just got done with my 4th exhaust set up and I am finally somewhat pleased. Here is the short version:"

Crap the 4th??
How much have you spent?
Is stock that bad? Or is the hp worth it?
Just curious before I make any decisions

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
"I just got done with my 4th exhaust set up and I am finally somewhat pleased. Here is the short version:"

Crap the 4th??
How much have you spent?
The part I meant about being common on the platform was sometimes going one direction only to find out you actually like something a tad different. Some are very particular and need to fine tune. Some go through many, some tweak 1 many times.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
The part I meant about being common on the platform was sometimes going one direction only to find out you actually like something a tad different. Some are very particular and need to fine tune. Some go through many, some tweak 1 many times.
I guess I don't have the disposable income to play in that game.
Stock sounds so very sweet to me. :)

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I guess I don't have the disposable income to play in that game.
Stock sounds so very sweet to me. :)
I was the same way at first. Then wanted just a bit more and added an x pipe to stock cat back. Then wanted more and had no plans on going long tubes so went Corsa Extremes. Then wanted more power and thought if the Extremes sound this good now they'll sound even better with the headers so added ARH with direct 3" connect to the Corsa. Now looking to dial it back somewhere in between without restricting air flow as will possibly go FI in the future so likely adding a pair of Vibrant 1794 resonators right before the muffler to tone it down. Experiences will vary but that was my evolution lol.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was the same way at first. Then wanted just a bit more and added an x pipe to stock cat back. Then wanted more and had no plans on going long tubes so went Corsa Extremes. Then wanted more power and thought if the Extremes sound this good now they'll sound even better with the headers so added ARH with direct 3" connect to the Corsa. Now looking to dial it back somewhere in between without restricting air flow as will possibly go FI in the future so likely adding a pair of Vibrant 1794 resonators right before the muffler to tone it down. Experiences will vary but that was my evolution lol.
Keeps you busy and I'm sure that's a good thing.
I still like my stock non active valve :)

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have the OBX high-flow catted headers, X-pipe and Roush quad tip with the blockoff plates removed. No rasp and really no drone. The trick is welded connections.

I'm currently on my fifth version, I will do one more to make it 3" all the way to the mufflers.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Crap the 4th??
How much have you spent?
I went through 6 variations (most being additive, not replacement) on my 15. The stock 15 catback sucks though. The 18 is decent.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Crap the 4th??
How much have you spent?
Yeah really 5 lol.....too many!

1.Early fall 2016-My original intention was to keep the car stockish. To that end I replaced the stock resonator with an H pipe just looking for sound. This was a mistake because the car still wasn't loud enough and picked up some rasp. $120+$50 labor

2. Late fall 2016- Took off the H pipe and went with an MBRP street system. The car sounded better but was a bit raspy for my taste. Got lured in by the price, really wished I went with better active type system. $900+ $100 labor

a. Summer 2018-Went FI(so much for stock) and started getting nervous about the cats. Did 3" Mak cat delete. I was in Rasp hell!
b. Added Magnaflow 4" resonators. This was part of the plan so I list it as 3b. These toned down the rasp to the point the car was driveable but still too much for me. Between the parts, V band clamps, and labor this cost me about $1300 with labor.

4. Added Magnaflow 12229 mufflers. I think this cost about $300. (Love these mufflers)

The H pipe was a total waste....and the only thing left from the MBRP system is some of the piping. It's really a custom Frankenstein system that I spent way too much money on.

My advice to anyone is that if you have any thought of doing headers or Cat deletes....start there. Leave the rest of the system stock as possible and see how you like it. Most will likely still do a cat back but probably pick a more tame set up.

If your just looking for sound I would 100% either find a system that you've heard and love or do an active set up.
Sponsored