Sponsored

Coolers

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
This picture right here tells it all. It literally sits on the underbelly, so there's nowhere for the airflow to go but backwards into the cooler. Almost like you should cut out a small rectangle in the underbelly to match the cooler and give the air a clear path to escape, but then not sure how that would affect overall airflow since there would be air under the car that might get drawn in and up or mess with the airflow going down through the cooler.

1686153376039.png
Picture is deceptive, look at the frame rails, the cooler seat about 2” above it and the undertray screw to the rails. Therefore the gap between cooler and undertray

231DBDFF-2072-4FD4-9BF4-D4B7C5778625.jpeg
Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I'd be pretty sketched out with the cooler location if I had a big off.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I'd be pretty sketched out with the cooler location if I had a big off.
If you had a big off, damaging your cooler would be the least of your worries, hitting a wall or flipping would be a the top of your list

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you had a big off, damaging your cooler would be the least of your worries, hitting a wall or flipping would be a the top of your list
Depends on the track, if it's wide open there's not much to hit but there could be many things that tearup your underside including the cooler and lines. And it doesn't even have to be a big off, I could see getting only 2 wheels off and running over the rumble strips and ripping all of this off.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Picture is deceptive, look at the frame rails, the cooler seat about 2” above it and the undertray screw to the rails. Therefore the gap between cooler and undertray
Oh ok, that makes more sense and does seem like this is a viable solution.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
To be honest, I know of several people who track their MT82 equipped S550s and they had no issues of over heating, to include Steeda. The rear diffy another whole different animal.

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, I know of several people who track their MT82 equipped S550s and they had no issues of over heating, to include Steeda. The rear diffy another whole different animal.
That's good news. It's possible I'm being too cautious but I'd like to avoid overheating where possible.

Any idea if Trac-lok is more or less likely to overheat than Torsen?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
That's good news. It's possible I'm being too cautious but I'd like to avoid overheating where possible.

There is no clutch pack with a Torsen, so I feel it would be more durable. Still you can overheat it. As far as which one is more prone, sorry I don't know.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I am slightly disappointed that this tread title "cooler" was about our cars and not about cracking a cold one together. 🍻 🤣

1686167185850.png

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

Kind of a mixed bag, I think. I've ran the torsen in other cars and felt that it was a little power hungry, especially in fast direction changes (Sears Point, for example). Where a normal plate diff will properly lock, the torsen seems like it's always differentiating, so that's a very touchy-feely answer. I've only run the torsen to this point in this car, so it's hard to have much of an opinion.

The Traction Lok from Ford is good for about a dozen traction events and then the material on the plates start to wear and reduce preload. After a track day or two, it won't have much more torque bias than an open. In the case of a new Trac-loc, I think it would make a little less heat. Once worn, though, it would be very easy to create *A Ton* of heat with excessive wheelspin and constantly slipping plates. You want to allow just a small amount of inside wheelspin, but only a little.

I'm trying to make a slightly better than stock Trac-Lok with some custom parts. I'll report back once I actually run it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I think the biggest mixed bag I've seen from reading is whether the MT82 needs additional cooling or not. It makes me wonder if it runs cooler than the Tremec or MT82 cars just aren't pushed as hard. Steeda's #20 looks like it has a Calimer built MT82.

Kind of a mixed bag, I think. I've ran the torsen in other cars and felt that it was a little power hungry, especially in fast direction changes (Sears Point, for example). Where a normal plate diff will properly lock, the torsen seems like it's always differentiating, so that's a very touchy-feely answer. I've only run the torsen to this point in this car, so it's hard to have much of an opinion.

The Traction Lok from Ford is good for about a dozen traction events and then the material on the plates start to wear and reduce preload. After a track day or two, it won't have much more torque bias than an open. In the case of a new Trac-loc, I think it would make a little less heat. Once worn, though, it would be very easy to create *A Ton* of heat with excessive wheelspin and constantly slipping plates. You want to allow just a small amount of inside wheelspin, but only a little.

I'm trying to make a slightly better than stock Trac-Lok with some custom parts. I'll report back once I actually run it.
A custom trac-loc sounds exciting but likely above my skill level. I watched some videos on building/re-building a diff and it seems like a pretty advanced job. I believe I could swap a pumpkin if I bought another good jack.

I know FP sells the Torsen differential outside of the pumpkin (M-4204-MT) and some sites list the difficulty as "medium" but diff work does not seem easy to me.

I'd definitely be interesting in reading about your results.

The gears in a torsen make considerably more heat than a track lock. I’ve had both.
If the trac loc generates that much less heat, then I may not need to cool it. Do lower ratios also generate less heat?

I still like that FluiX diff cover a lot though. Man that would work well with the OEM GT350 panel / ducting.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
This picture right here tells it all. It literally sits on the underbelly, so there's nowhere for the airflow to go but backwards into the cooler. Almost like you should cut out a small rectangle in the underbelly to match the cooler and give the air a clear path to escape, but then not sure how that would affect overall airflow since there would be air under the car that might get drawn in and up or mess with the airflow going down through the cooler.

1686153376039.png
Have a look at my solution here.
  • I ventilated my belly pan, and I positioned the horizontal cooler less that 1/2" above it. It is tipped up 5 degrees from the frame rails - this matches the 5* angle of the belly pan.
  • I repurposed the big plastic flap that lays on the belly pan to be an air diverter. I tipped it up so that the leading edge is at the crash bar, and the trailing edge is on top of the back end of the cooler. This diverts all air entering the lower grille through the new oil cooler.
  • I kept the OEM oil/water cooler, and put a Setrab sandwich plate on top of it. There is still room for the big Ford FL820s oil filter to be swapped with oil changes.
  • I opened up every single cell in both grilles. I used a router on the backside of the removed grilles.
  • I even removed the grille pony, and then used 6-32 screws and inserts to make it removable during track day conversions.
  • I chose the Setrab Pro Line cooler over the SLM version (Harrop) because it has a little higher cooling for ~same physical size, and chose the 2-pass so as to put both ports on the driver's side.
  • Only 3 brackets are needed, and made from aluminum stock from the local Ace HW.
CHT now runs steady at 228F, even to 30 minute sessions at 85 ambient. (w/ PP larger radiator.)

I cannot stress enough that I believe the OEM oil/water cooler should be retained. It helps, and I am not worried about failure. I'll bet this combo has around 90kBTU cooling.

The horizontal mount does not block the radiator/condenser, and it has forced air as described.

Front end risk is more with parking curbs, etc, than an off at the track. Note there is at least 7" ground clearance at the front splitter.

If I were do it over, the only changes I would make are to use the new billet Setrab sandwich plate with pre-drilled side port (for optional oil temp gauge), -10AN lines (instead of -12AN), and Setrab 22mm/10AN 90deg elbows (instead of 22/10 adapters).

If anyone wants, I can provide a shopping cart listing all the parts needed to make this kit. (Small donation welcome, lol.) And/or I can fab the brackets needed for you.
6-screen-mesh-jpg.jpg

1-cooler-installed-jpg.jpg

More photos at the link above.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
As for trans cooling, I am considering purchasing a second OEM cooler, and then connecting it in series with the first. Double the cooling for cheap. Should be simple enough install. (This is for A10, which currently runs "hot", but not overheating.

As for diff cooling. I am researching a lateral/vertical mounted cooler behind sway bar, and with a pump but no fan.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I repurposed the big plastic flap that lays on the belly pan to be an air diverter. I tipped it up so that the leading edge is at the crash bar, and the trailing edge is on top of the back end of the cooler. This diverts all air entering the lower grille through the new oil cooler.
That means no air for the radiator from lower grille though, right? Do you have pictures of the "diverter" installed by any chance? Also, any concerns with dumping all that air under the front of the car?
Sponsored