Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone!

My Vorshlag parts arrived in the mail yesterday. I ordered the brake duct backing plates, duct hoses/clamps, and the brake duct inlets. I haven't seen any write ups for this kit on the forums so I'll be sure to take pictures and make a detailed install report when I get a free weekend to install. (I'm aiming for either this Sunday or the following weekend.)

This kit directs air from the front of the car to the inner fins on the back side of the front brake rotors. This has been reported by Vorshlag to greatly reduce brake fade on the track. I am doing an HPDE event in May so I will know first hand how well these work.

I also received Vorshlag front and rear tow hooks. I'll be installing those at the same time as the brake kit since the bumper has to come off for both mods.

Brake Duct Backing Plate w/ Hoses: https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...-duct-backing-plates-pair?variant=36872069575
Brake Inlet Cooling Kit: https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...rake-inlet-cooling-kit-for-2018-19-mustang-gt
Front Tow Hook: https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...sion/products/s550-mustang-front-tow-hook-red
Rear Tow Hook: https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...nsion/products/s550-mustang-rear-tow-hook-red
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I took the front bumper off while installing the front tow hook (my install write up here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vorshlag-tow-hooks.120438/) to get an idea on the ducting install and it does not look like there will be room for the ducting at full lock.

The below picture is on the driver side looking towards the front wheel (with the bumper off). The red line is to show the distance between the driver wheel at full right lock and the control arm. It may be hard to see in the picture but there is about half to maybe a full inch between the tire and the control arm. The 4in diameter ducting hose will get destroyed at full lock and I don't see any other way to route the ducting.

I will contact Vorshlag in the morning and report back.
Ducting Trouble.PNG

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
On his site I believe with 305s it definitely wears through the duct. And the workaround of an oval shaped section was torn through.

Basically it will need to be replaced when this happens so avoid full turns if you can.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On his site I believe with 305s it definitely wears through the duct. And the workaround of an oval shaped section was torn through.

Basically it will need to be replaced when this happens so avoid full turns if you can.
I'm guessing I will only be installing the ducting at track days and removing it for the drive home/daily driving. Not a huge deal but I was hoping for a more set-it-and-forget-it type of package.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm guessing I will only be installing the ducting at track days and removing it for the drive home/daily driving. Not a huge deal but I was hoping for a more set-it-and-forget-it type of package.
Yep. Did you read through his awesome thread on their 2018? It is pretty cool. He isn’t the best writer but does at least try.

They also have developed with Ford a control arm fin that directs air into the brakes and hub.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Did you read through his awesome thread on their 2018? It is pretty cool. He isn’t the best writer but does at least try.

They also have developed with Ford a control arm fin that directs air into the brakes and hub.
I skimmed it, lol. They do some awesome work there.

Is that fin different from the one already on the 2018?

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I skimmed it, lol. They do some awesome work there.

Is that fin different from the one already on the 2018?
Hahaaa yeah I skimmed as well hence my dig at the writing. Yes it is based on it but larger - at least that is what I gathered from his thread. It is also not on the GT350.

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That was going to be my question, I have a 2018 GT PP1 and know there is a small fin along with channels in the skid plate to help send air to the brakes. Im curious how much better this will work and how much better a full duct kit like you have over both options.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible

I don't see the control arm fins on their website. Where can you find these?

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see the control arm fins on their website. Where can you find these?
It is mentioned on this page - still under development - they should hopefully provide results soon.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?s=b06f0a96370972d86ef2400eda28aae0&t=8324&page=4

"So we took the PP1 brake deflector scoop that mounts to the front control arm and made it significantly bigger. The prototype above is ready for testing, which we will do soon on our car - comparing it to no cooling (like the base GT) and then to our forced brake cooling package on the car now. We will share the results, and if it is as helpful as we think it will be, these will go for sale on our website shortly thereafter."

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
It is mentioned on this page - still under development - they should hopefully provide results soon.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?s=b06f0a96370972d86ef2400eda28aae0&t=8324&page=4

"So we took the PP1 brake deflector scoop that mounts to the front control arm and made it significantly bigger. The prototype above is ready for testing, which we will do soon on our car - comparing it to no cooling (like the base GT) and then to our forced brake cooling package on the car now. We will share the results, and if it is as helpful as we think it will be, these will go for sale on our website shortly thereafter."
These look virtually identical to what Porsche used on the 993 variant of the 911 ('95-'98). I fabbed up a pair of the 993 fins to use on my '72 911 track car many years ago. Not as good as full fledged ducting, but they definitely helped. I hope they release these soon. Thanks.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah this write up says it all. "But there is one part that becomes a consumable on the S550 when you run wide wheels and tires - the brake duct hoses." Vorshlag would rip through these hoses after each season. They tried a metal tube at the pinch point but the tires even ripped those off just moving through cones in the paddock.

The flexible ducts work but there simply isn't enough room at full lock, they will eventually rip.

Last edited:

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
It helps a little to tuck the ducting past the frame rail then go under the sway bar and route it toward the front of the car; follow the ABS line. The sway bar holds it back from flopping around in the "pinch zone" when the inner front part of the tire turns inboard. They wont survive forever but they'll survive a little longer this way. I've also zip tied the hose to the strut then to the sway bar to keep it from flopping around.

These were from mock up last year. See where the duct goes into the fender liner on the outboard side of the frame rail? Snake it past the frame rail and under the back side of the sway bar then forward.
30973214477_ec650934aa_z.jpg
S550 mustang brake ducts by MikeD, on Flickr

This also shows it pretty well. See that black plastic shield inside the frame rail? Aim for that then under the sway bar and forward. The white markings inside the fender liner are where my tires rub and ate my first hose.
45862490952_5cf6546d62_z.jpg
S550 mustang brake ducts by MikeD, on Flickr

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As seen in my picture above, I have less than an inch between full lock tire and that frame rail. I have a few ideas I'm going to try. I'm determined to get a no-rub, permanent solution, lol. Possibly make some rigid scoop to attach to the rotor backing plate that simply pulls air from below the car, like this...
upload_2019-4-12_15-6-47.png
Sponsored