Sponsored

Comp Cams- has anyone installed them yet?

Twall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium [FBO]
You do not need limiters. You can keep full vct function. I recommend springs and retainers but it’s also not required.

If you are for sure going boost soon just keep stock cams. The stage 3 N/A push your rpm band really high to where you don’t make power till 5k rpm.
Im not gonna do boost for a couple years probably I just want to try the N/A build for a while and road race. So I might do stage 2. Thank you both.
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Im not gonna do boost for a couple years probably I just want to try the N/A build for a while and road race. So I might do stage 2. Thank you both.
If you are going to go full N/A build then do stage 3. Then later you can decide if you want to swap back to stock for boost or if it will work for your application.

I highly recommend a cj manifold setup. You need a high rpm manifold and bigger throttle body to compliment the cams.

Twall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc.
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to go full N/A build then do stage 3. Then later you can decide if you want to swap back to stock for boost or if it will work for your application.

I highly recommend a cj manifold setup. You need a high rpm manifold and bigger throttle body to compliment the cams.
Okay, Agreed ported cobra jet, twin blade ford 65mm, stage 3, might do livernois porting and pac springs. Appreciate the advice

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Okay, Agreed ported cobra jet, twin blade ford 65mm, stage 3, might do livernois porting and pac springs. Appreciate the advice
Sounds like a good setup!

I am at a “half-assed” N/A setup right now and it’s not the best. Stage 3 N/A cams. 6r80 with 3.15 so super long gears. Only a ported 18 mani and stock tb rn. Car only makes power after 5k but I know the manifold isn’t flowing like it needs.

I am going to do a custom ported boss with a spacer and a 95mm throttle body. A poor man’s cj. Then I’ll look into gearing.

Twall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc.
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a good setup!

I am at a “half-assed” N/A setup right now and it’s not the best. Stage 3 N/A cams. 6r80 with 3.15 so super long gears. Only a ported 18 mani and stock tb rn. Car only makes power after 5k but I know the manifold isn’t flowing like it needs.

I am going to do a custom ported boss with a spacer and a 95mm throttle body. A poor man’s cj. Then I’ll look into gearing.
What’s your opinion on the new Holley? I was about it but too many videos showing you gotta drill and tap this, connect this, don’t forget to buy these. Nope. I’m going tried and true cobra jet.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
What’s your opinion on the new Holley? I was about it but too many videos showing you gotta drill and tap this, connect this, don’t forget to buy these. Nope. I’m going tried and true cobra jet.
Haven’t seen any of the installation videos. I only looked into it when it first came out and it seemed to make good power.

I think if you are going a simple N/A setup and are okay with spending the money on the cj than the Holley offers no real advantage unless porting the Holley gets you more power than the cj.

You can port both and they both flow really well. I think if you want to do some custom stuff than the Holley makes more sense.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Alejandro from Lund always recommend the Comp Cams Stage 2 433430 for N/A or boost. He said its based on all the testing they have done on different combinations.

I saw that new Holley intake. Maybe @beefcake can explain what additional parts/fittings are required.

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Alejandro from Lund always recommend the Comp Cams Stage 2 433430 for N/A or boost. He said its based on all the testing they have done on different combinations.

I saw that new Holley intake. Maybe @beefcake can explain what additional parts/fittings are required.
Several reports indicate the Holley may be as good as a ported CJ. My results show that when comparing to other results. I hassled through all the connections... it's manageable. No tapping new threads or anything like that, more figuring out a ton of fittings and a couple of AN hoses (rear crossover, main feed) I made 510 rwhp SAE. (Full exhaust, Comp camps, Holley, about 76% tested E85. 2022 car, A10. Dyno was wonky at the top (suspension or tire slip) in 7th so did all the tuning in 6th where it was smooth. Did the last pull in 7th to get the official SAE number. Holds power pretty good to 8000. And stock 87mm bullet TB, no oval or twin blades required... I think I have a hair left in the tune and some hp when I a 90-95mm round TB is available. (the round holley throat is 93mm but I opened it to 95mm) The blue is a non-cams/Holley run. Oh, also, I did valve springs, chain and tensioner upgrades and an electric water pump.

FBO vs CamsHolley with Torque.JPG

Last edited:

S14Wolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big K
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Vert with Stg2 Whipple
Anyone ever do a high RPM supercharger build? Think like 9k rpm 93octane forged internals with "stage 2 blower" cams? if so what was the setup?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10

Holly dyno on a stock 21. Kinda weird result. Power was strong on 93 and torque seems especially strong. But it got it all done at a low rpm relatively: could be a great combination….or just the effects of dyno’ing in a tall gear like 7th.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Anyone ever do a high RPM supercharger build? Think like 9k rpm 93octane forged internals with "stage 2 blower" cams? if so what was the setup?
Like nobody. Pretty much everyone sticks to the tried and true 650-700 rwhp pump gas combo or 750-900 rwhp e85 setup. Not many venture outside of these.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Almost every blown Coyote class racer running 7.99 or quicker, are turning 9K+ and running aftermarket cams. Most are on Ethanol though.
Sponsored