Sponsored

Has anyone dyno tested an exhaust yet?

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
A friend of mine is due to get his next Wednesday, he is also purchasing an exhaust but unsure of said manufacturers claims "30" horsepower etc.... Any real world experience? Thanks for the help...
Sponsored

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I haven't seen any numbers and I've been checking multiple sites numerous times a day for updates.

OP
OP
cobra199711

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Yeah so have I. I know once he purchases one he is headed to the tuner for a dyno run, he will have before and after runs with just the exhaust.

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
That's my plan too. I think I'm going with the ford racing cat back purely on the sound clips I've heard. It sounds good and I'm hoping it gains some hp.

Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
LMR got 12-16hp from a catback. Sorry to not be as specific but it pretty much debunked the +30hp claims.
I honestly still doubt the gains they got (catbacks alone don't usually give big gains, mostly sound).

Here's the videos:

[ame]

and

[ame]

If you look closely you can see they also changed the wheels on the car sometime between the baseline and when the exhaust was installed. A good portion of that 16 HP could be attributed to lighter wheels. I don't know the weight of the new wheel and tire combo, but this is not apples/apples.

Here's a post that HRE made about wheel weights on the dyno: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...cts-of-wheel-tire-weights-on-wheel-horsepower

In that post, they show an 8 pound tire and wheel difference gained a good amount of hp/tq readings on the dyno.

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
I honestly still doubt the gains they got (catbacks alone don't usually give big gains, mostly sound).

Here's the videos:

and

If you look closely you can see they also changed the wheels on the car sometime between the baseline and when the exhaust was installed. A good portion of that 16 HP could be attributed to lighter wheels. I don't know the weight of the new wheel and tire combo, but this is not apples/apples.

Here's a post that HRE made about wheel weights on the dyno: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...cts-of-wheel-tire-weights-on-wheel-horsepower

In that post, they show an 8 pound tire and wheel difference gained a good amount of hp/tq readings on the dyno.

You're very correct, one of the things I noticed as well. Depending on the weight difference (I'm assuming 10lbs a corner) that adds about 20lbs of direct rotational mass.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cobra199711

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Interesting

You're very correct, one of the things I noticed as well. Depending on the weight difference (I'm assuming 10lbs a corner) that adds about 20lbs of direct rotational mass.
Good catch,it seems that getting an accurate apples to apples comparison is tough.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I just realized that my post might look a bit confrontational, which is not my point. I'm sure that the only reason the wheel change happened between the dyno runs was just a timing of when parts were available.

I don't think that LMR was trying to manipulate the numbers.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Another thing to consider is peak gain versus max gain. Still won't be +30hp but while the peak gain might be +10hp the max gain could be as much as +15hp or more at some point on the graph.
Sponsored