BMurphyTN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Harley Streetglide
Hey guys and gals,
been a lurker for a little bit but realized I hadn’t signed up for account...lol I have a 2017 Mustang GT Premium PP with the six speed. My clutch died according to the “stealership” after 26k miles.
Being a Murphy it apparently isnt covered under any part of my warranty. They are wanting $2500 to replace the clutch and flywheel.
My question, and I know it is probably very subjective, is what clutch should I replace it with and what other clutch upgrades should I make?
Only performance mods to the car has been the Ford Racing Stage 2 kit with the GT350 air cleaner/throttle body with the Ford Racing tune. Not sure if I will eventually boost it or not. It’s fun as it is. It mainly gets driven on the weekends for fun.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pics of my baby for attention :)
Thanks in advance,
Brian

2B10B17C-E5B6-4C60-90BB-F4364B09B502.jpeg

FAFEEB75-311D-43CA-BD35-4B136FA4DD61.jpeg
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Sorry to hear about the clutch, it seems the stock ones are hit or miss. First of all, go get the car from the dealership and find a shop or a guy who does work on the side to do the work. I've paid $450 - $600 labor for a clutch change.

Go take a look at the Lethal Performance line of clutches as they have some good stock replacement options. The Exedy Mach 500 is also another popular clutch amongst members here.

Put in an new slave, pilot bearing and pickup a upgraded clutch line as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
BMurphyTN

BMurphyTN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about the clutch, it seems the stock ones are hit or miss. First of all, go get the car from the dealership and find a shop or a guy who does work on the side to do the work. I've paid $450 - $600 labor for a clutch change.

Go take a look at the Lethal Performance line of clutches as they have some good stock replacement options. The Exedy Mach 500 is also another popular clutch amongst members here.

Put in an new slave, pilot bearing and pickup a upgraded clutch line as well. Good luck!
Got a friend of my father-in-laws who is a MB dealer mechanic that is like another son to him going to help me. He is a better lift than what my in law has. I was searching through the forums and saw a lot of good things about McLeod clutches. I ordered one of the RST kits with aluminum flywheel, a center force slave cylinder, the Ford racing high load roller pilot bearing, and the Ford racing hp clutch fluid line.
My hope is that it was just the slave cylinder that failed and not the whole clutch.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Aluminum flywheel will hurt low end torque some, spins up fast but there is a price.
Just ask around some find out more, don't jump off the deep end.

Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
McLeod RST

And don't let the dealer do it, talk about a rip off.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
If you are going to stay na for a good while the rst is perfect for you. I went mantic in my 19 and regret the cost and how much pain in my ass it is due to not working correctly. I heard good things about the exody clutch for the 15 to 17. I might try centerforce myself when I end up replacing my stock clutch ( went back to stock due to issues getting in and out of gear) or a mcleod rxt, they are tried and true

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
id definitely look into lethal's line of stuff, have heard nothing but good and they're awesome to work with

OP
OP
BMurphyTN

BMurphyTN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
No plans on boosting any time soon. Car is fun to drive as is. Why would the aluminum flywheel hurt low end torque?

I have a friend with a Termie and he has a center force clutch and loves it. His car is scary as hell…lol
and thanks to all for the suggestions.

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
No plans on boosting any time soon. Car is fun to drive as is. Why would the aluminum flywheel hurt low end torque?
It doesn't. What it hurts is the amount of stored rotational energy used to initially roll the car forward as you slip the clutch.

OP
OP
BMurphyTN

BMurphyTN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Just to give an update, been out of town with military.

Clutch was fried. My mechanic friend initially replaced the clutch pedal cylinder thinking it might fix the problem, which it didn’t. He finally pulled the tranny and discovered that it was indeed the clutch.

Replaced it with the McLeod, and all the other parts I bought. Got the car back yesterday and i got a yellow wrench pop up When I started the car for the first time. I have no idea what to do now. Car seems to drive fine.

New clutch is very light on the pedal feel. Not sure he installed the shifter right as now it is noisy/ feels loose when I shift, like it is loose around the reverse collar under the leather boot.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

1BE076EB-7B62-4484-B1B1-7725FE550373.jpeg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Man get a better mech ....... the boy's NTS.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Most likely the wrench light is because you need to perform the ‘crank relearn’ procedure since the clutch was replaced. Local ford dealer can help, or if you’re tuned talk to your tuner as most tuning devices have that capability.
Sponsored