CHECK YOUR OIL!!!!

OP
OP

RRGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 GT350 Tech Pack
Yeah. I plan on taking it to the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully it doesn't turn out too bad..
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Yeah I know. This is my first sports car and my thinking was.. "Its new, why should I have to worry about oil levels" :doh:

Taking it to the dealership on Tuesday morning..
You have much to learn.

Start here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89612

Then when you feel that sweet, sweet pain, go here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89751

By year 10, we'll all have a clipboard with a laundry list of things to check before ignition, just like an airline pilot!

OP
OP

RRGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 GT350 Tech Pack

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
This is a professionals car , not for the posers and hard parkers... they make that clear when you have little or no torque to even out gun minivans at a typical American stop light to stop light , but can expect a point by from every Porsche gt_number car and their rich amateur drivers all day long at a typical track day...

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Fellas -

What is the proper way to check the oil in this car? Noticed a guy above mentioned waiting 15 minutes.

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Fellas -

What is the proper way to check the oil in this car? Noticed a guy above mentioned waiting 15 minutes.
Nice level driveway when its cold, the usual take out it wipe it off, put in back in making sure all the way, take out again and have some good light if the oil is new. Or if warm wait 15 minutes for drain back then check, don't add any if still in OK zone. Due your precise oil check add oil on cold engine.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Fellas -

Pg 36 of the April 2016 Supplement. Repeated in later versions.
ENGINE OIL CHECK
See the scheduled maintenance information for the appropriate intervals for checking the engine oil.
1. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground.
2. Turn the engine off and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
3. Set the parking brake and make sure the gearshift is securely latched in first gear.
4. Open the hood. Protect yourself from engine heat.
5. Locate and carefully remove the engine oil level dipstick.
6. Wipe the dipstick clean. Insert the dipstick fully, then remove it again.
7. Put the dipstick back in and make sure it is fully seated.
• If the oil level is between the lower and upper holes, the oil level is acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.
• If the oil level is below the lower hole, add enough oil to raise the level within the lower and upper holes."

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Called Ford Dealer Service Shop and supposedly its normal to burn 1qt of oil every 500 miles?? Has anyone heard of this ? Is this true?

Either way, just wanted to let you all know... CHECK YOUR OIL FREQUENTLY!!!!
maybe not normal, but acceptable. Meaning they won't want to replace your engine if its better than that.

Does anyone have compression / leakdown data for a car that uses a quart every 500 miles ?

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Still burns less oil than my 370Z did!!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am amazed people go over 3000 miles without checking oil level. I check mine every 300 miles. Old habit when I owned rotary engine.

Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
i was at dealer the other day. rep there told me two guys had their gt350 bought back because even the replacement motors were blowing oil through the piston rings. so sadly unless they fix the issue with these 5.2 motors they will probably buy your car back. its pretty sad this os happeneing everywhere especially with all the dealer markup. hope they get it fixed. best of luck

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
i was at dealer the other day. rep there told me two guys had their gt350 bought back because even the replacement motors were blowing oil through the piston rings. so sadly unless they fix the issue with these 5.2 motors they will probably buy your car back. its pretty sad this os happeneing everywhere especially with all the dealer markup. hope they get it fixed. best of luck
"Happening everywhere"? WTF dude? Do you own one?

New trend in this forum - DYOO....

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
i am in northern California i see members all different areas with same issue.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am amazed people go over 3000 miles without checking oil level. I check mine every 300 miles. Old habit when I owned rotary engine.
I checked GT350 owner's manual and it says to check the engine oil monthly. If the average car goes 1200 miles per month, then worst case they shouldn't drop more than 2 quarts. 2 quarts of 10.

Maybe Ford should copy BMW and get rid of the oil dipstick in lieu of a computer sensor. "Driver, this is your friendly car computer, and we have determined that your engine is down one quart of oil. Please stop by your nearest gas station and purchase a quart of oil. Failure to do so will result in additional nagging and an email sent to your dealership service manager."

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Funny you mention this, as in the BMW world, many want a dipstick due to the temperamental nature of the oil level sensor.

I have no problems checking a dipstick to top off and keep the car track-ready, but presumably the low oil level warning sensor on these cars should work to the extent that being down 4 quarts needs to have some type of warning. Why is there a low oil warning light to begin with?

If this is a problem, seems like an easy fix for Ford in this day and age. Not doing so is nothing short of corporate incompetence.

I checked GT350 owner's manual and it says to check the engine oil monthly. If the average car goes 1200 miles per month, then worst case they shouldn't drop more than 2 quarts. 2 quarts of 10.

Maybe Ford should copy BMW and get rid of the oil dipstick in lieu of a computer sensor. "Driver, this is your friendly car computer, and we have determined that your engine is down one quart of oil. Please stop by your nearest gas station and purchase a quart of oil. Failure to do so will result in additional nagging and an email sent to your dealership service manager."
Sponsored