Sponsored

C8 Z06

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Just read the zo6 was getting the caddy motor. Msybe GM will release some puzzle pieces?
It won't be the Cadillac Blackwing. It may be born in the same nursery and even have the same parents, but it won't be the Blackwing. Blackwing is 4.2TT , CPC, with turbos in the valley (Hot V setup). Corvette DOHC will be 5.X, FPC with turbos off the sides.

I think it was @Hack that said the next z06 wont be twin turbo.

Who ever it was, how wrong and clueless can you get? 720s, pista, 600lt. All mid engine twin turbo v8 cars.
Hack may still be correct. Jury is still out on that, since the 800+ hp 5.X TT is more than likely NOT the Z06 engine.

Or it could be the GS that gets the 5.5 FPC NA motor.
That's what I'm hoping for.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
The C8 with just the z51 option is putting out some incredible #'s, I'm sure the zo6 is going to be insane!

Sponsored

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
They need to build a 6.2 to 7 Liter D.O.H.C. 12:1 compression N/A animal with all the goodies for the C8 Z06 with 650-675Hp min and 725 hp with E-85 flex fuel capability.
If they finally have the balls and dump their small block pushrod then I would be buying one, lol.

Out with this out of breath 6.2L pushrod engine that can't even touch 500 hp on the motor and just doesn't belong in an all new gorgeous car, AKA C8. That car deserves a way better engine and they have tons of space in the back to make that move now.

GM, Please don't listen to the pushrod small block people, let them keep buying C5s, C6s and C7's and keep doing their camshaft swap and crying about double over head cams and 4 valves with the same old excuses.
Let them learn the hard way by losing race after race after race when they run against a monster of that nature.

A big D.O.H.C N/A V8 will be able to pass emissions and make Huge Power and torque while competing with other supercars 3-5 times the price and anihilatin lots of them. Could you imagine the level of insanity this corvette would be?

This new engine could be the cherry on the cake for the C8 like the C4 ZR-1 5.7L D.O.H.C. V8 was in 1991 by breaking records back then one after another as I recall.
The new motor could be built to be more affordable, desirable and easier to sell today because this is not 1991 anymore. The all new platform and hype is perfect for that. I also never heard one person that pointed out the weight of the 5.7L V8 in the ZR-1 back in the day. People were blown away by the Z-R1 performance in the 90's and that was with old 4 valve technology. That C4 made close to the same power and was just as fast or even faster than regular C6 corvette but 14 years earlier!!!

I'm sure this new 6.2L - 7 liter engine would bring the new C8 up to a whole new level without the headaches of boost, extra radiators and the hundreds of pounds more weight of a forced induction application. Chevy can make it happen keeping the weight very close to the Z-51 package. It's just a matter of wanting to do and leaving a bit of the old school back. There is nowhere to go with this 6.2L pushrod as they tried everything already, this thing is a mummy on steroids waiting to be taken behind the barn and shot at it.

I'm just a Joe here, but will place my order A.S.A.P. if that becomes reality. Just look what Ford and the aftermarket can do with a 5 liter coyote but now imagine at least a 6.2L engine like that in a badass corvette? God Bless America!

7 LITER C8 Corvette D.O.H.C N/A FTW !!
Please, bring back a bit of your past (C4 Zr-1) to the future because your past was the future and still is almost 30 years later.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
A DOHC engine that size would be big as a house.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
GM has to make a choice - either continue with big bore and long stroke and less than 6500 RPM or go short stroke and high RPM (8000+). The former can be done adequately with push rods. The latter require dual overhead cams and at least 3 or 4 valves per cylinder. If GM is stupid enough to try a FPC solution greater than 5 liters (and not at least a v10 or v12) they might want to look into using a counter-balancer rotating at 2x crank. Or they'll end up spending a ton of money on trying to keep the damn thing from coming apart - like Ford did with the Voodoo. I can see the race cars running a FPC while they try to figure it out but not for production any time soon, if ever.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Looks like Zora will be different than the ZR1 version with a Hybrid drive. Electric motor in the front to power front wheels and twin turbo ZR1 engine in the back powering rear wheels. Chevy is going Hyper Drive in my book.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Displacement going from 5 to 7 liters only adds a few inches of size. A few inches in every dimension, but still only a few inches.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
A twin turbo DOHC V8 is coming with 800hp for the Z06.

Its going to be an absolute monster of a car!
Not according to sources - it will be better: NA - no FI

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
More importantly, such big cube engines gain little by going DOHC - 2 well flowing valves per cylinder is all that is really needed - which is why the LS7 was such a great motor and an "LT7" would really be cool (I want a another 427 Vette) . Doubt it will happen, but boy would that be the shit.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Displacement going from 5 to 7 liters only adds a few inches of size. A few inches in every dimension, but still only a few inches.
The difference between a small block chevy. And a dohc ford is only a few inches. Have your ever seen the two side by side?

Last edited:

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Biggus Dickus"More importantly, such big cube engines gain little by going DOHC - 2 well flowing valves per cylinder is all that is really needed - which is why the LS7 was such a great motor and an "LT7" would really be cool (I want a another 427 Vette) . Doubt it will happen, but boy would that be the shit." quote

This has to be the false statement of the year. According to your statement, a bigger engine benefits little by going with D.O.H.C design. So that means that a smaller engine benefits even less? So all the auto manufactures that are building their smaller engines are seeing little to no benefit and they are still doing it? They should be using pushrods too, right? But that low end torque, huh? :facepalm: You are implying this logic, not me. Please, ask the Lamborghini Aventador 6.5L V12 Engineeres if they ever consider a pushrod engine in that vehicle because it's more compact or it could make close to the same power as if it was a pushrod design.
I bet they wouldn't even answer the question. The aventador probably doesn't corner well or has crappy balance? Same with other supercars that have bigger engines and just ALL of them are D.O.H.C. ??

Most engines, it doesn't matter the size, will gain tremendously in HORSEPOWER with a D.O.H.C. design, They will just turn into a way more efficient air pump that flows way more air in and out of the cylinders and produces more power this way. Most of the area in the combustion chamber is taken with 4 valves instead of 2 valves and all that empty space left on the surface of that area, that is nothing for the cylinder head and motor. That's not even counting the "HEMI" design of the combustion chamber for the 4 valves per cylinder heads that makes it so efficient and awesome. It's just a no brainer for power in the world of small blocks and engines with less than 8 litres of displacement that we live in.

Let's take for consideration a Ford 5.0 liter pushrod engine from the 90's:
It will never make the same power N/A as when compared to a D.O.H.C. Coyote with the same displacement and compression if you start modding both, even if the pushrod engine had the same ECU and electronics, D.I.; technology to summarize.

A 225-240 HP Pushrod 5 liter ford from 1994 becomes 350-375 HP highly modded N/A with the best heads and cam in the market and all the other goodies. Now try that Vs a 460 (more like 500 HP) coyote engine from the factory that will make over 600 Crank HP highly modded N/A.
Who cares that the engine is bigger and a little bit heavier? We are not Formula one drivers or rally drivers that will drive THAT close to the limit and risk losing our lives for an extra 1-3 mile an hour faster in a corner around some crazy high speed track.
What It matters most, for us, street drivers and amateurs racers, is that it has 250 HP more and can spin all the way up to 8000 rpm making torque and power throughout the RPM band and will be a lot of fun to drive. And the best of all, it can be built to pass emissions!! Then, when you finally add boost to both engines you will have one that has cylinders with an extra valve on the intake side and another extra valve on the exhaust side to deal with the extra tornado of air that your supercharger or turbo are producing most of the time. You finally have two camshafts in that engine that are only for higher rpm power, basically the best in engine architecture. You also have better spark flame with the DOHC and other things too.
Since 2011 when Ford introduced the 5.0 coyote, I'm still yet to hear of a coyote owner that wants to transplant a fox engine to their S-197s or S-S-550s to make it lighter and have less center of gravity than the coyote. You will never hear that, you know why? Because they have all the power they want with the coyote and people are happy with the power and balance of the coyote on the front ends of their cars, overall. All I hear is the other way around, people wanna transplant the assassin D.O.H.C. 5.0 to basically anything they can to make it badass.

Just look at the trucks. Which one is the fastest N/A or boosted? F150. Engine? D.O.H.C. Aluminum, Aluminum body. Things that bring positive results and have that amazing truck to lead the way, in themeanwhile Chevy and Dodge trucks are dogs and suck on their fingers with pushrod oil in the Silverado and Ram.

The motor is in the rear of the vette's now, so who gives a damm about a bit more weight? It will always hook, and always be a balanced car because it's a corvette and the engineers can easily deal with that and will make sure it will be an spectacular car. It would gain an extra 45 lbs, but it will make between 150- 300 more HP than a pushrod engine of the same displacement if you account a 7 liter D.O.H.C.. I will take the massive gains in horsepower, with a bit of weight. thank you.
Remember, The pushrod 6.2L is not making anything close to the power that it could be making if it was a double over head cam design. From my silly estimations, that engine could be making 600-625 hp at minimum in DOHC shape and also passing emissions easier than the LT motor at the same time.
Sponsored

Last edited: