Sponsored

C8 Z06

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
The difference between a small block chevy. And a dohc for is only a few inches. Have your ever seen the two side by side?
019-lamborghini-aventador-svjcoupewadpersonaminteriorandpearlpaint213miles-12491-18793750-2-1024.jpg

I'm sure Lambo owners are terrified of how tall and big their monster 6.5L V12 engine is and how unbalanced their cars have become with the Tower of Pizza center of gravity. They just can't corner with their cars at high speeds anymore.
Pushrod LAMBO now!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Those are alot tighter V vs. an American V8.

I believe the Lambo is 60* and the 5.0 for example is 90*

IIRC.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Those are alot tighter V vs. an American V8.

I believe the Lambo is 60* and the 5.0 for example is 90*

IIRC.
Koenigsegg engine
landscape-1489668966-img-9997.jpg

Lamborghini Huracan Engine 90 degree 5.2L Wide and tall as a mofo.

There is a Walmart sized parking lot area in the engine bay of the new C8 for them to fit a massive engine there. Only excuses and non-sense won't allow them to do so. The time is now or never for them lol :like::muscle::flag:

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
The center of gravity will be too high and the engine will be too wide. Terrible.
pretty sure GM knows what they're doing with the corvette... You cant make a general statement like that. A cars all about balance not individual components...

People were bitching about DOHC when the coyote came out too...

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Biggus Dickus"More importantly, such big cube engines gain little by going DOHC - 2 well flowing valves per cylinder is all that is really needed - which is why the LS7 was such a great motor and an "LT7" would really be cool (I want a another 427 Vette) . Doubt it will happen, but boy would that be the shit." quote

This has to be the false statement of the year. According to your statement, a bigger engine benefits little by going with D.O.H.C design. So that means that a smaller engine benefits even less? So all the auto manufactures that are building their smaller engines are seeing little to no benefit and they are still doing it? They should be using pushrods too, right? But that low end torque, huh? :facepalm: You are implying this logic, not me. Please, ask the Lamborghini Aventador 6.5L V12 Engineeres if they ever consider a pushrod engine in that vehicle because it's more compact or it could make close to the same power as if it was a pushrod design.
I bet they wouldn't even answer the question. The aventador probably doesn't corner well or has crappy balance? Same with other supercars that have bigger engines and just ALL of them are D.O.H.C. ??

Most engines, it doesn't matter the size, will gain tremendously in HORSEPOWER with a D.O.H.C. design, They will just turn into a way more efficient air pump that flows way more air in and out of the cylinders and produces more power this way. Most of the area in the combustion chamber is taken with 4 valves instead of 2 valves and all that empty space left on the surface of that area, that is nothing for the cylinder head and motor. That's not even counting the "HEMI" design of the combustion chamber for the 4 valves per cylinder heads that makes it so efficient and awesome. It's just a no brainer for power in the world of small blocks and engines with less than 8 litres of displacement that we live in.

Let's take for consideration a Ford 5.0 liter pushrod engine from the 90's:
It will never make the same power N/A as when compared to a D.O.H.C. Coyote with the same displacement and compression if you start modding both, even if the pushrod engine had the same ECU and electronics, D.I.; technology to summarize.

A 225-240 HP Pushrod 5 liter ford from 1994 becomes 350-375 HP highly modded N/A with the best heads and cam in the market and all the other goodies. Now try that Vs a 460 (more like 500 HP) coyote engine from the factory that will make over 600 Crank HP highly modded N/A.
Who cares that the engine is bigger and a little bit heavier? We are not Formula one drivers or rally drivers that will drive THAT close to the limit and risk losing our lives for an extra 1-3 mile an hour faster in a corner around some crazy high speed track.
What It matters most, for us, street drivers and amateurs racers, is that it has 250 HP more and can spin all the way up to 8000 rpm making torque and power throughout the RPM band and will be a lot of fun to drive. And the best of all, it can be built to pass emissions!! Then, when you finally add boost to both engines you will have one that has cylinders with an extra valve on the intake side and another extra valve on the exhaust side to deal with the extra tornado of air that your supercharger or turbo are producing most of the time. You finally have two camshafts in that engine that are only for higher rpm power, basically the best in engine architecture. You also have better spark flame with the DOHC and other things too.
Since 2011 when Ford introduced the 5.0 coyote, I'm still yet to hear of a coyote owner that wants to transplant a fox engine to their S-197s or S-S-550s to make it lighter and have less center of gravity than the coyote. You will never hear that, you know why? Because they have all the power they want with the coyote and people are happy with the power and balance of the coyote on the front ends of their cars, overall. All I hear is the other way around, people wanna transplant the assassin D.O.H.C. 5.0 to basically anything they can to make it badass.

Just look at the trucks. Which one is the fastest N/A or boosted? F150. Engine? D.O.H.C. Aluminum, Aluminum body. Things that bring positive results and have that amazing truck to lead the way, in themeanwhile Chevy and Dodge trucks are dogs and suck on their fingers with pushrod oil in the Silverado and Ram.

The motor is in the rear of the vette's now, so who gives a damm about a bit more weight? It will always hook, and always be a balanced car because it's a corvette and the engineers can easily deal with that and will make sure it will be an spectacular car. It would gain an extra 45 lbs, but it will make between 150- 300 more HP than a pushrod engine of the same displacement if you account a 7 liter D.O.H.C.. I will take the massive gains in horsepower, with a bit of weight. thank you.
Remember, The pushrod 6.2L is not making anything close to the power that it could be making if it was a double over head cam design. From my silly estimations, that engine could be making 600-625 hp at minimum in DOHC shape and also passing emissions easier than the LT motor at the same time.
Someone needs a hobby

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Couple thoughts on OHV vs OHC and relative output....

• Displacement for displacement, OHC will always produce more power. The guidelines I used when I was in Powertrain Product Planning were
    • OHV NA: 70 - 80 hp/l (LT1 is 79.8)
    • OHC NA: 80 - 100 hp/l (Bullitt is 96)
    • Boosted OHC: 120 - 200+ (Mercedes CLA AMG 2.0T is 217)
    • OHC, high rev: 100 - 125 (Voodoo is 101, Ferrari 4.5 was 124.8)
  • Displacement is the size of the holes, not the size of the metal.
    • For the same DISPLACEMENT OHV engines tend to be smaller and lower powered
      • This is part of the reason for DOHC in Europe. Regulations are based on displacement. So to get more power from same displacement, the answer is simple. DOHC.
      • GM’s 3.6L DOHC was significantly LARGER and had MORE POWER compared to GM’s 3.5L OHV. The 3.9L off same block as 3.5L had almost as much power as 3.6L DOHC
    • For the same OUTPUT OHV engines and OHC engines tend to be similar in size and mass, even though the OHV will need to have larger displacement. LT1 vs Coyote
  • Engineers tend to develop to power targets and physical size and mass (packaging) requirements. Especially for front engine cars where physical size and configuration and mass have to be considered when engineering around crash regulations
Just a couple fun facts wrt packaging in mid engine cars. No surprise that Lamborghini and Koenigsegg can fit huge engines in their engine bays. Relocating the engine takes compromises to manage to crash regulations mostly out of the equation. Though it may not seem logical, you can fit more engine in there. They do still have to manage to intrusion from a rear crash, but that is much simpler than managing front end crash.

The top of the LT2 in C8 sits LOWER than the top of the rear tires. There’s a lot more room in there for a lot more engine, including boosted DOHC engines.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Someone needs a hobby
People like that want to hold on to nostalgia even if it means killing the companies in the process...

If you want things to stay the same, accept change...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
019-lamborghini-aventador-svjcoupewadpersonaminteriorandpearlpaint213miles-12491-18793750-2-1024.jpg

I'm sure Lambo owners are terrified of how tall and big their monster 6.5L V12 engine is and how unbalanced their cars have become with the Tower of Pizza center of gravity. They just can't corner with their cars at high speeds anymore.
Pushrod LAMBO now!!!
Who said anything about a V12? Look up the dimensions of fords 5.2 v8. Now try to ad a little over two litters of displacement to that. You dont need 7 liters to make power. You can pull 800hp out of a 3.5 lt motor. Why ad weight just for the sake of having the biggest engine?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Who said anything about a V12? Look up the dimensions of fords 5.2 v8. Now try to ad a little over two litters of displacement to that. You dont need 7 liters to make power. You can pull 800hp out of a 3.5 lt motor. Why ad weight just for the sake of having the biggest engine?
You can just look at the old Ford 427 SOHC overhead cam engines to see how big a 7 liter overhead cam engine would be. I realize those are single overhead cam engines and not duals, but you get the idea from looking at them.

As far as I can tell, they pretty much fit where a big block fits and aren't that much bigger than a Boss 429, for example.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
You can just look at the old Ford 427 SOHC overhead cam engines to see how big a 7 liter overhead cam engine would be. I realize those are single overhead cam engines and not duals, but you get the idea from looking at them.

As far as I can tell, they pretty much fit where a big block fits and aren't that much bigger than a Boss 429, for example.
And when was the last time you seen a big block in a production car? Again a 429 was a massive engine. Now ad room for the gigantic heads a dohc would take up. Does anyone not understand mass is the enemy of performance? Size and weight will kill a cars hanling dynamics.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Size and weight will kill a cars hanling dynamics.
rubbish. all these 'pony' cars are good for given the driving talent on display across the fruited plain of the USA is going in a straight line so handling doesn't matter.
/kidding
Aside from truck duty, the real reason for big bore and long stroke was it was simple to use pencil and paper to compute and simple to produce. DOHC and high RPM require far fancier manufacturing technologies and engineering inputs, far better metalurgy etc. to sustain RPM etc. Plus combustion efficiency is a modern invention/requirement.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
rubbish. all these 'pony' cars are good for given the driving talent on display across the fruited plain of the USA is going in a straight line so handling doesn't matter.
/kidding
Aside from truck duty, the real reason for big bore and long stroke was it was simple to use pencil and paper to compute and simple to produce. DOHC and high RPM require far fancier manufacturing technologies and engineering inputs, far better metalurgy etc. to sustain RPM etc. Plus combustion efficiency is a modern invention/requirement.
Jesus man you just want to argue. The title of this thread is c8 zo6. Not hack & sho wants a big block in a pony car. Im done here.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And when was the last time you seen a big block in a production car? Again a 429 was a massive engine. Now ad room for the gigantic heads a dohc would take up. Does anyone not understand mass is the enemy of performance? Size and weight will kill a cars hanling dynamics.
Today I looked on the internet and I saw Ford SOHC engines in production cars. Not that they came that way. Do those count?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just saw the excel sheet leak on power. Z06 at 850 wow! I am very happy to see a 600/620 NA version. That will compete with the GT350 and push the HP war up again.