Sponsored

Buying a 2018 ecoboost soon

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
So the wife wants a new mustang. She really likes the new design and the ecoboost. I’ve never owned a non V8 mustang. How does everyone that has the turbo 4 like them? Are there any known issues? Recalls? TSB’s? I need to be aware of? We will be doing cosmetic modifications, but no performance modifications are planned.
Sponsored

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
So the wife wants a new mustang. She really likes the new design and the ecoboost. I’ve never owned a non V8 mustang. How does everyone that has the turbo 4 like them? Are there any known issues? Recalls? TSB’s? I need to be aware of? We will be doing cosmetic modifications, but no performance modifications are planned.
You have a GT350 and want to add a EB to the stable? I understand it's for the lady, but I still don't get it. :shrug:

Also, I have nothing of value to add and apologize in advance for wasting space in your thread.

Seriously though, why no V8?

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
You have a GT350 and want to add a EB to the stable? I understand it's for the lady, but I still don't get it. :shrug:
Also, I have nothing of value to add and apologize in advance for wasting space in your thread. Seriously though, why no V8?
People have their reasons for the choices they make, just as you had a reason for buying a GT base instead of a Premium. An EB is less expensive and for the kizzillions of people who aren't diehard Mustang fans, they look virtually the same as a GT. Based on the OP's comment that they won't be doing any performance upgrades, I assume his wife has no need for the additional power, expense and fuel costs of a V/8. Besides, there'll be a GT350 sitting next to it in the garage if she ever needs a speed fix. Their decision makes perfect sense to me.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i think the ecoboost is a great car, its only downfall is i believe people who get mustangs want them to sound like mustangs.. so as long as she knows she cant have that sound there is nothing wrong with it

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
I really like my base 2018 eb 6mt. It's a much nicer vehicle overall imo, than my 2013 base 6mt 3.7 was. Seats are way more comfortable, shifter stock feels about like my steeda sts I had on the 13. Smooth on the freeway up to triple digits. Averages about 27.5 mpg, since I only have about 500 miles on it as of today. I expect that to go up some more.
Haven't honestly done any checking for recalls or tsb on it yet. I have very realistic expectations for it though lol so ymmv. For 20k after all rebates you can't touch this thing vs anything else new in the price segment. I get compliments everywhere I go on it, which is really cool imo. But also due to the royal crimson color :-)

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Mine is a '17 EB with performance package, and I love it. I haven't had any issues. If you google "ecoboom" you'll probably find lots of horror stories about the engine blowing up, but if you're not modifying it, I very much doubt that will happen.

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD

Also, I have nothing of value to add and apologize in advance for wasting space in your thread.

The only reason I see people buying EB is low budget. GT is around 6 - 8k more and that can make the payments much higher.

Gas mileage is not a reason, just an excuse for my statement above. Maybe someone just really want a 4 cylinder to mod and make it different...

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
I really like my base 2018 eb 6mt. It's a much nicer vehicle overall imo, than my 2013 base 6mt 3.7 was. Seats are way more comfortable, shifter stock feels about like my steeda sts I had on the 13. Smooth on the freeway up to triple digits. Averages about 27.5 mpg, since I only have about 500 miles on it as of today. I expect that to go up some more.
Haven't honestly done any checking for recalls or tsb on it yet. I have very realistic expectations for it though lol so ymmv. For 20k after all rebates you can't touch this thing vs anything else new in the price segment. I get compliments everywhere I go on it, which is really cool imo. But also due to the royal crimson color :-)
Thats a really good deal!! congrats. and that color in person looks really good.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If I'm getting a 4cyl, it's going to be in a lighter, sharper handling, more practical package.....a Focus ST.

If I'm going for RWD and a heavier car, then the Mustang it is and only with a V8.
But if it's for the wife and she likes the looks of the Mustang and that's all that matters...then the EB should fit the bill nicely.

Sponsored

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
I was pretty set on upgrading to a new GT and test drove both beforehand, obviously. While the new 5.0 is an absolute monster, I came away really impressed with how well the ecoboost with 10 speed performed.

To get into a comfortable payment, my options would have been to get a base GT to which the 5.0 would have been the biggest upgrade in and itself (aside from the IRS) from the 4.7L in my 2010 GT or get a ecoboost with comparable power albeit with a more fuel efficient engine, more torque and all the new gizmos.

I think the choice was made for me when I was shopping around at local dealers and I happened upon my car, a custom order that never got picked up. Came with performance package, magneride and all the premium infotainment (SYNC3, larger screen, shaker, toggle switches) but without the leather seats (I actually hated the leather in my old car so this was a big plus for me). My color choices would have been between shadow black and lightning blue so kona was not my first choice but I showed up at the dealer, got sold on the color in person and fell in love when I took it for a test drive. Taking into account my insurance premium between what I would pay on a GT versus the ecoboost (I just turned 25), fuel savings and 26k after rebates for PP w/ magneride + SYNC3 in a brand new car, I ended up driving home with my ecoboost.

The car is plenty quick and gets you up to speed when you want it to. It's obviously no V8 but in sport+ mode, the i4 is pretty peppy and actually does have a nice little growl to it when the rpms are up (which will be also be helped out in the aftermarket) and I've always been a fan of the turbo whine in previous cars I owned so I guess I'm slightly biased. Honestly, I've loved every mile driven so far and I get compliments all the time.

I also have 40~ mile commute each way that adds up and I never planned on tracking this car so much as to have a fun little DD so my decision was mostly just based on what I felt was best for ME. Like the others said, you have a 350 already for yourself. Buy the one that makes sense for her (and who's going to be footing the bill).

Last edited:

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
LOVE my EB! 24.5 avg mpg with 50/50 mix of city/hwy...34mpg on the open road. I always drive in S+ or S and it scoots like a jackrabbit. Only problem was getting the convertible top to fold correctly but that resolved itself. No mechanical problems whatsoever. Obviously there are those here who think all Mustangs should be V8’s but IMHO the EB handles better with 200lbs less on the front end, gets much better mpg, is almost as fast not to mention the lower insurance rates. IF I had chosen the GT my rate would be $750 more annually than the EB. You’ll never change the mind of a GT owner, after all the first response was from a GT owner as if to warn you away from the plague LOL! Truth is Mustang has always had a range of available engines to suit a range of driver needs so don’t be intimidated or swayed if the V8 doesn’t suit yours. I did get the Ford Performance Borla Sport Axleback Exhausts to give more roar, pop and crackle!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. All mustangs since the beginning had your choice of a 4/6/8 cylinder (4 cylinders starting in the mid 70's). My motto is whatever floats yours boat.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason I see people buying EB is low budget. GT is around 6 - 8k more and that can make the payments much higher.

Gas mileage is not a reason, just an excuse for my statement above. Maybe someone just really want a 4 cylinder to mod and make it different...
Isn't that the reason we all have Mustangs in general? If budget wasn't a concern you could bet your ass I'd be riding around in a Lamborghini or maybe a Maybach if I wanted a more refined ride that day :crazy:

OP
OP
TaraFirma

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid

There really is no need for a V8, and she said she wanted the turbo4. She has a V8 in her 65 Mustang.
Sponsored