Sponsored

Buying a 2018 ecoboost soon

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
have had no regrets on my eb, i got the ford performance poeer pack along with the performance pack, it’s a really run car in the mountains. My only gripe is the intercooler on the 15-17 are really easy to heat soak. Not sure if they changef that. I was originally looking at a small audi and never considered Mustangs till I learned about the 2.3 option. I so maybe im the new buyer Ford was hoping to lure in

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
There must be a dozen aftermarket intercoolers available. If you have just a few hundred bucks, it's an easy swap.

AGM2018

I struggled in my decision to purchase either a loaded EB Premium with the PP or a GT with the 301A and 10 Speed Automatic Transmission as the only options. I drove both base and premium equipped EB's and GT's, with and without the PP. The GT's, in a word, are PHENOMENAL! Much improved over the 2015-2017 models, in my opinion. But, for the manner I will utilize the car (daily driver, spirited driving as often as safe, practical and possible) and given the fact the car will never see a race track, road course, quarter-mile drag strip or engage in any type of "Street Race", the EB is a better fit for my driving requirements.

In my opinion, the EB is hard to beat...Bang-For-The-Buck..for my stated driving requirements. Investment in a nice aftermarket intercooler, and in the Ford Racing Tune if one is released for the 2018, will improve upon a solid platform from the factory. The EB is an excellent daily driver, complete with sufficient HP/TQ for enjoyable and spirited driving...and will only improve if FR's tune becomes available. For the 35K I paid, Out-The-Door and On-The-Road, purchasing an identically equipped GT would have cost 9K more. Everyone's "Mileage May Vary" but, the 2018 EB (especially with the PP) is a capable and fun car to drive from the factory; if the EB is purchased with a clear and distinct understanding of the car's nature and its performance capabilities, especially in comparison to the GT, the 2018 EB won't disappoint.

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Funny thing is that I've had a couple of people complement me on how good my EB sounds. They were passengers so they were really hearing the enhanced intake noise. Of course I had to tell them that what they were hearing was "fake" and that outside the EB doesn't sound like much at all.

I was prepared to hate the sound based on previous Fords that I'd heard it on but I'm fine with it. This version sounds natural in almost all circumstances. It's nice to have some audible feedback from the engine even if it's completely inaudible to the rest of the world.

I'm loving my Ecoboost. For me, coming from European and Japanese sporty cars, it's nicely balanced package with plenty of power. For the average consumer looking to get a great looking sporty coupe to use as a daily driver, it's probably a better choice than the V8.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
If you get tired of the fake engine sound, it's easy to pull down the back part of the headliner and disconnect the microphone.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Sound has nothing to do with performance. No one buys a Porsche 911 for the sound it makes.
I like the sound of 911 of the high revving race engine. My wife has 2017 Cayman 718 with 2.0L turbo. I like the sound of it too. It doesn't sound like high horse power gas guzzling muffler sound, but a quite different sports sound. Porsche shows you don't have to have a big engine to produce nice muffler sound at any speed.

SteedaGrrl

2Fast2Furious
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6-speed
Just picked up my 2015 EB with Performance Package a few weeks ago. I must say I've always been a "V8 or die" mustang fan, but after driving this slightly modified EB I was sold on the idea.
I honestly couldn't afford the lower mileage GTs because I was several thousand upside down on my car, but knew I wanted a mustang. I test drove a highly modified (and likely abused, according to the dude's IG) GT with a racing clutch (could barely shift the thing) to a 1.5k mile 2015 50th Anniversary AUTOMATIC, which I must say wasn't as much fun as the EB I ended up buying! There is really something about rowing through the gears and able to make the engine do what you want it to do when you want to do it, that made this little 2.3 stick more fun than the 5.0 automatic.
I sort of miss the exhaust note of the 5.0 (even my CAI and full exhaust can't replace that beautiful sound) but I'm getting used to it. And now I'm a believer in the fun (and fuel economy!) of the EB. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
An EB with a Ford Racing tune and minimal performance upgrades is an excellent all-around ride with better handling and more performance than a 2010 or earlier V8 GT. I agree that the sound is not a traditional rumbly V8, but with a simple exhaust mod, you can get a very aggressive roaring turbo sound. Very satisfying at highway speeds and nimble in the parking lots.... just no competition to the GT at speeds over 125 MPH.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I started reading the comments only to realize this thread devolved into the standard GT vs EB argument. So I will just give you my response to the original post.

First I will say I love my '16 EB and have been doing exclusively cosmetic mods to it also (I disregard my wheels/tires as performance since I sized them for aesthetics anyway and haven't had the pleasure of tracking my car yet). It has been, by far, the fastest and most fun car I have owned (previous: 05 escape and 2000 V6-stang). I thoroughly enjoy the power at hand and it's plenty to let me pave my own way through traffic (/show my passengers a good time), but its not so much that I'm tempted to race every "bro-mobile" that pulls up next to me, in order to show off my "manliness" or whatever they think a street race proves. I love this car and the only things that would part me from it are winning the lottery, having kids (if I deem it unreasonable to keep), or its destruction.

As for dislikes: my only real issue with the EB is that it will never sound "like a V8". To me this isn't worth the fiscal difference that comes with a GT so I had an exhaust shop redo the cat-back, am happy with the sound, and settled my internal battle.

As far as general EB mechanical issues: I did a lot of research as I was extremely hesitant towards the EB originally. I had an inherent prejudice thinking that turbo cars would not be as reliable as NA ones (which i think many people have). All my searching only turned up specific failure examples (usually paired with some sort of performance upgrade), and the majority of my research showed the stock EB is comparable in reliability the rest of the market. At the very least I don't believe ford would put out a new engine in on of their most loved cars if they weren't confident in its longevity, as they would be foolish both short and long term for the brand. Also if there were any early hiccups ford likely would have resolved them by the time they were going to double down on the EB by eliminating the V6 from the mustang lineup.

As far as my own personal mechanical issues: I did have a very very slow oil leak from the front engine cover. It took me 4 months to even realize I was leaking as I wasn't noticing any drop in oil level and the only thing that gave it away was a stain on the front cover that grew very slowly over time. I never heard of any TSBs about it but saw one other post on M6G regarding the same issue. I was still under warranty and the dealership got it fixed no problem. The only other mechanical issue I've had was a purge valve glitch which threw an check-engine light but did not cause any noticeable issues. I took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty also, presumably as a preventative measure, since it only took them an hour and is about a $25 part. I believe this is not by any means a EB specific issues since it is related to the fuel system more-so than the engine. Please do not let either of these be a deterrent in any way, just sharing my full story.

Also I did recently get a chance to drive a '18 EB PerfPack Auto around a bit and that thing was an absolute blast. Mostly because the A10 would really slam out the gears, especially the 1-2 shift when in "drag" mode. It honestly made me a bit envious and think twice about my decision to settle on the Non-performance pack. As much fun as it was I chalk most of the feeling up to new car hype, since beside the A10 shifting and that it had line lock, which I got to try out (and took 4 tries do right :/ ) , I can't quantify any highlights over my '16.

All that said I do have to agree with the people that say getting an EB over a GT usually is a financial decision. If you are well enough off and have no worry about the financial impact of a car on your life then there is not much reason to not get a GT. But that is sort of the case with everything in life, like how my girlfriend really wants a LV shoulder bag instead of one of the million they sell at target. Everyone has a right to spend their money how ever they please. If we were all "responsible" people who "settled for less", everyone that could afford a GT, would just get the ecoboost and donate the price difference to charity or whatever hahahaha.

//accidentalrant

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP - Gone
Can't speak of the 2018, but I like my '15 PP. Cheapish to run (100mi./day commute), fun in corners, quick but not fast, all in all pretty solid. Well, one motor replacement under warranty, but that just meant I was driving a Lincoln for a little while.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Funny thing is that I've had a couple of people complement me on how good my EB sounds. They were passengers so they were really hearing the enhanced intake noise. Of course I had to tell them that what they were hearing was "fake" and that outside the EB doesn't sound like much at all.

I was prepared to hate the sound based on previous Fords that I'd heard it on but I'm fine with it. This version sounds natural in almost all circumstances. It's nice to have some audible feedback from the engine even if it's completely inaudible to the rest of the world.

I'm loving my Ecoboost. For me, coming from European and Japanese sporty cars, it's nicely balanced package with plenty of power. For the average consumer looking to get a great looking sporty coupe to use as a daily driver, it's probably a better choice than the V8.
I happen to really like the sound of the EB through my MAPerfomance exhaust. This forum was making me think I was:crazy: With everyone hating on the sound. I have gotten alot of compliments about the sound of it even from the GT guys at the last Luxemburg meet so it can't be as bad as everyone makes it out to be here. I think it's the poor sound on video. I have yet to hear a video where an EB sounds as good as it does IRL. I also went VTA on my BOV, and like the sound more than I care to admit. Reminds me of my old R33 Skyline. My first turbo car!

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If you are well enough off and have no worry about the financial impact of a car on your life then there is not much reason to not get a GT.
Agreed, which is why I bought one. But I bought mine used. I probably paid $5K more or so than your avg new EB.

OP
OP
TaraFirma

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
I started reading the comments only to realize this thread devolved into the standard GT vs EB argument. So I will just give you my response to the original post.

First I will say I love my '16 EB and have been doing exclusively cosmetic mods to it also (I disregard my wheels/tires as performance since I sized them for aesthetics anyway and haven't had the pleasure of tracking my car yet). It has been, by far, the fastest and most fun car I have owned (previous: 05 escape and 2000 V6-stang). I thoroughly enjoy the power at hand and it's plenty to let me pave my own way through traffic (/show my passengers a good time), but its not so much that I'm tempted to race every "bro-mobile" that pulls up next to me, in order to show off my "manliness" or whatever they think a street race proves. I love this car and the only things that would part me from it are winning the lottery, having kids (if I deem it unreasonable to keep), or its destruction.

As for dislikes: my only real issue with the EB is that it will never sound "like a V8". To me this isn't worth the fiscal difference that comes with a GT so I had an exhaust shop redo the cat-back, am happy with the sound, and settled my internal battle.

As far as general EB mechanical issues: I did a lot of research as I was extremely hesitant towards the EB originally. I had an inherent prejudice thinking that turbo cars would not be as reliable as NA ones (which i think many people have). All my searching only turned up specific failure examples (usually paired with some sort of performance upgrade), and the majority of my research showed the stock EB is comparable in reliability the rest of the market. At the very least I don't believe ford would put out a new engine in on of their most loved cars if they weren't confident in its longevity, as they would be foolish both short and long term for the brand. Also if there were any early hiccups ford likely would have resolved them by the time they were going to double down on the EB by eliminating the V6 from the mustang lineup.

As far as my own personal mechanical issues: I did have a very very slow oil leak from the front engine cover. It took me 4 months to even realize I was leaking as I wasn't noticing any drop in oil level and the only thing that gave it away was a stain on the front cover that grew very slowly over time. I never heard of any TSBs about it but saw one other post on M6G regarding the same issue. I was still under warranty and the dealership got it fixed no problem. The only other mechanical issue I've had was a purge valve glitch which threw an check-engine light but did not cause any noticeable issues. I took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty also, presumably as a preventative measure, since it only took them an hour and is about a $25 part. I believe this is not by any means a EB specific issues since it is related to the fuel system more-so than the engine. Please do not let either of these be a deterrent in any way, just sharing my full story.

Also I did recently get a chance to drive a '18 EB PerfPack Auto around a bit and that thing was an absolute blast. Mostly because the A10 would really slam out the gears, especially the 1-2 shift when in "drag" mode. It honestly made me a bit envious and think twice about my decision to settle on the Non-performance pack. As much fun as it was I chalk most of the feeling up to new car hype, since beside the A10 shifting and that it had line lock, which I got to try out (and took 4 tries do right :/ ) , I can't quantify any highlights over my '16.

All that said I do have to agree with the people that say getting an EB over a GT usually is a financial decision. If you are well enough off and have no worry about the financial impact of a car on your life then there is not much reason to not get a GT. But that is sort of the case with everything in life, like how my girlfriend really wants a LV shoulder bag instead of one of the million they sell at target. Everyone has a right to spend their money how ever they please. If we were all "responsible" people who "settled for less", everyone that could afford a GT, would just get the ecoboost and donate the price difference to charity or whatever hahahaha.

//accidentalrant
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the review. Right now we’re looking at having to order one as not a single dealer in Texas has an ecoboost premium to even test drive, much less one even remotely what we’re looking for.
I’m getting the wife into an ecoboost this afternoon and then a GT with all the options so she knows what hers would look like on the inside. Depending on the price difference, we may just get the GT.
Sponsored