Sponsored

Best 200TW for the TRACK

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had that experience yet loosing out to cars on the A052, but I know they’re fast.

No, I take that back. I’m 90% sure my main local competition is on the A052. At the last event I beat him by only 0.07 PAX (in his 4th gencamaro) but he’s a former FS national champ and I’m not. Previous event he codrove in my car and beat me by the same margin, so yeah I’ve lost to him on the A052 earlier this year but it still comes down to the driver on the day of. Our two cars are not exactly apples to apples IMHO, (pretty sure mine is a little faster), but its close. His weighs a few hundred lbs less than mine which helps.

CAM is fun around here. Almost as many CAM cars as novices and easily 10+ at each event. Nobody has the perfect combination of ideal car and skilled driver yet, but there is one top tier driver who just bought an SS 1LE who might put a wet blanket on the fun.
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I haven’t had that experience yet loosing out to cars on the A052, but I know they’re fast.

No, I take that back. I’m 90% sure my main local competition is on the A052. At the last event I beat him by only 0.07 PAX (in his 4th gencamaro) but he’s a former FS national champ and I’m not. Previous event he codrove in my car and beat me by the same margin, so yeah I’ve lost to him on the A052 earlier this year but it still comes down to the driver on the day of. Our two cars are not exactly apples to apples IMHO, (pretty sure mine is a little faster), but its close. His weighs a few hundred lbs less than mine which helps.

CAM is fun around here. Almost as many CAM cars as novices and easily 10+ at each event. Nobody has the perfect combination of ideal car and skilled driver yet, but there is one top tier driver who just bought an SS 1LE who might put a wet blanket on the fun.
Are you headed to Houston for Champ tour? I'm signed up. None of our local CAMC guys are on Yoks. There is a CAMS viper going to them though.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i've tested back to back on both the track and autox with the GY SC3 (forgot to mention THAT tire too, it's been an expensive year). the A052 was superior on my current setup by over a second @ PPIR roval (high 60s vs low 62s) and over two seconds (high 60s vs low 63s) @ packwood autox. i had it on my list to do the same with the Rival S 1.5 but ran out of time - although my butt dyno tells me it won't be close (and they wear worse on the track).

the A052 puts down power better than any other 200TW tire i've tested. of course, i'm also pushing 750whp, so it's probably a case of less time spinning tires and more time moving forward :)

i don't doubt there's a better chance for autox on lower powered cars that all tires are within the noise on any given day, but each much be driven differently to extract the maximum performance (i.e., don't slide an RE-71R, don't hammer the throttle on the SC3, don't turn late with the Rival S 1.5, don't be too aggressive with the A052 for too long). on the track is a different story though. you *will* go faster with the A052.

fwiw, our region has some of the best CAM drivers in the country (otis, paulson - not including myself anymore, car is too far gone for autox), who tested multiple compounds like i did. we all ended up on A052 independently in the end. still kept getting my ass handed to me @ packwood, but at least it wasn't as bad, haha.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Are you headed to Houston for Champ tour? I'm signed up. None of our local CAMC guys are on Yoks. There is a CAMS viper going to them though.
I’m close to signing up. Will probably go.

That Viper has been making the trip to central texas last few events. Really cool car. Raced against him a couple times pretty recently.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I’m close to signing up. Will probably go.

That Viper has been making the trip to central texas last few events. Really cool car. Raced against him a couple times pretty recently.
Yeah he did SASCA last Saturday and loved it. I'm gonna head over some time.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
i've tested back to back on both the track and autox with the GY SC3 (forgot to mention THAT tire too, it's been an expensive year). the A052 was superior on my current setup by over a second @ PPIR roval (high 60s vs low 62s) and over two seconds (high 60s vs low 63s) @ packwood autox. i had it on my list to do the same with the Rival S 1.5 but ran out of time - although my butt dyno tells me it won't be close (and they wear worse on the track).

the A052 puts down power better than any other 200TW tire i've tested. of course, i'm also pushing 750whp, so it's probably a case of less time spinning tires and more time moving forward :)

i don't doubt there's a better chance for autox on lower powered cars that all tires are within the noise on any given day, but each much be driven differently to extract the maximum performance (i.e., don't slide an RE-71R, don't hammer the throttle on the SC3, don't turn late with the Rival S 1.5, don't be too aggressive with the A052 for too long). on the track is a different story though. you *will* go faster with the A052.

fwiw, our region has some of the best CAM drivers in the country (otis, paulson - not including myself anymore, car is too far gone for autox), who tested multiple compounds like i did. we all ended up on A052 independently in the end. still kept getting my ass handed to me @ packwood, but at least it wasn't as bad, haha.
if I were quite ready to go to 18” wheels I’d definitely give them a try. Before recently it was just the Rivals and they were note quite enough reason to change wheels or add another set. I do hope they make some in 19 soon.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Falken is meant to have a new 200tw Azenis RT615+ on the way. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up. It looks racy, which is to judge it by something completely meaningless. I don't think 19's are available, yet.

1600531167683.png

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Incidentally I've heard rumblings that the RE71R is being discontinued.

S550_Matt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium PP GT
What do you guys think of the Falken Azenis RT660? Im changing from a 19x10 setup to a 18x11.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Incidentally I've heard rumblings that the RE71R is being discontinued.
Someone posted a picture of a Japanese tire sticker which was RE-71RS. My guess is this will be a pretty frisky replacement.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
What do you guys think of the Falken Azenis RT660? Im change from a 19x10 setup to a 18x11.
FWIW, a Tire Rack autocross comparison didn't rate it all that impressive. Who knows, though, it might be nice for a track tire.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Someone posted a picture of a Japanese tire sticker which was RE-71RS. My guess is this will be a pretty frisky replacement.
The RS is a time trial tire IIRC, so more for track use, versus the RE71R autoxcross tire. If they actually are discontinuing the RE71R its probably not so it can be replaced with the RS, I bet. Frankly they’re due for an new R replacement tho, esp with the new A052 starting to eat Bridgestone’s lunch.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Falken is meant to have a new 200tw Azenis RT615+ on the way. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up. It looks racy, which is to judge it by something completely meaningless. I don't think 19's are available, yet.

1600531167683.png
They already did. The RT660...

S550_Matt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium PP GT
FWIW, a Tire Rack autocross comparison didn't rate it all that impressive. Who knows, though, it might be nice for a track tire.
Hopefully! I been running re71r for a couple of years now but going to 315/30 and Sadly they dont have that size. A052 were my original choice but pricey.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)