nhgaudreau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey all,

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I just bought a couple Hero 5 Blacks and need help figuring out the best settings. I know how to edit video pretty well with Premiere, but I've mostly been editing steady VLOG-type footage out of a Hero 3 Black.

I'm have a couple track days coming up and need help figuring out some good settings for the Hero 5.

• Protune settings?
  • Shutter Speed?
  • Frame rate?
  • Stabilization?
  • Best mounting spots?
  • Field of view?
  • Etc?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
nhgaudreau

nhgaudreau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm not too worried about the mounting. I have a few options. I just need to know some good settings to start with. Thanks!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wouldn't you want to match your video mode specs to the device you're going to view them on? For computer screen viewing, you probably can't use any more than 1920 x 1080 (and 1280 x 720 may be entirely sufficient - seems to be here for a 17" laptop with the screen resolution set to 1920 x 1080). I suspect that either 'Linear' or 'Medium' FOV will work best most of the time unless you're specifically trying to include your footwork in the picture and don't mind getting some "fish-eye" distortion. You really don't need to create bigger files just to include more headliner/sky and lower dashboard/footwell/hood - stuff that you'd probably crop out anyway.

I've never tried shooting at anything faster than 30 fps, but you might want to pay attention to the note about the use of high resolutions / high frame rates in warm ambient temperatures (it's a power usage and camera heating thing).

I only have a Hero 2, but I did download and save the Hero5 Black manual for this and research for my own possible upgrade later.

Norm

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
OP, did you ever find out the best settings?

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I found an interesting thing on a track day: a GoPro 8 set for Narrow view and Hypersmooth stabilization will automatically pan the view and often not where we want it. It appears the way to stop this is to record in 4K and/or select a lower setting for stabilization.

The auto exposure made the outside too bright, it was much better locking the exposure to the area of the windshield.

Last edited:

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i prefer 30fps for better battery life, as well as having a digital dash there is no flickering from the dash display and camera fps syncing up. Also for a fixed pov in car camera, high fps isnt as necessary as if you were standing next to the track trying to record a car lapping. I noticed a huge difference between 30 and 60fps standing trackside at RA
Sponsored