Sponsored

Best Clutch for track use?

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
What is the best Clutch/flywheel/TOB combo for track (HPDE) use?

Still needs to be street able
NA GT Power level (Power Pack 2 currently)
Stock MT-82
Shift at 7-7100 on track
Sponsored

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
I'm gonna be that guy and say a OE clutch. I think for the price, with close to stock power, you're wasting money buying aftermarket.

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not a waste of money to replace the clutch if you're going to be tracking the car and shifting at high rpm. The MT82 is known for high rpm lockout, with the OEM clutch & shifter to blame.

Correct, the spline count is 23. I ran that clutch, I ended up removing it because it wasn't disengaging completely at low speeds, and I know I'm not the first one it's happened to. Besides that, it held everything I threw at it and never locked me out of gear as long as the car was moving.

I replaced it with an Exedy Twin disc and have been very happy with it, but once it grabs it's not letting go so it takes some getting accustomed to on the street.

Not trying to bash Exedy, as I know they've replaced a few clutches already and the clutch replacements they've sent out have worked perfectly. I've driven several other mustangs (s197 & s550) with the same clutch and it disengaged freely, so it seems like an isolated issue.

Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Definitely not a waste of money to replace the clutch if you're going to be tracking the car and shifting at high rpm. The MT82 is known for high rpm lockout, with the OEM clutch & shifter to blame.

Correct, the spline count is 23. I ran that clutch, I ended up removing it because it wasn't disengaging completely at low speeds, and I know I'm not the first one it's happened to. Besides that, it held everything I threw at it and never locked me out of gear as long as the car was moving.

I replaced it with an Exedy Twin disc and have been very happy with it, but once it grabs it's not letting go so it takes some getting accustomed to on the street.

Not trying to bash Exedy, as I know they've replaced a few clutches already and the clutch replacements they've sent out have worked perfectly. I've driven several other mustangs (s197 & s550) with the same clutch and it disengaged freely, so it seems like an isolated issue.
And what is the spline diameter?
There are a few options for the 2017.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I don't daily drive this car, therefore don't have to deal with traffic, would a grabby clutch be so bad? I drive it to the track and rip on it up in the hills.

What about the pressure plates, its presumed right now I killed the pressure plate fingers (overheated them), but won't know for sure till i pull the trans, are these aftermarket pressure plates stronger/more heat resistant

Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And what is the spline diameter?
There are a few options for the 2017.
I don't know, but there shouldn't be any differences in spline count or diameter for 15-17 coyotes. Pretty sure it's the same from 11-19 but don't quote me on that.

I don't daily drive this car, therefore don't have to deal with traffic, would a grabby clutch be so bad? I drive it to the track and rip on it up in the hills.

What about the pressure plates, its presumed right now I killed the pressure plate fingers (overheated them), but won't know for sure till i pull the trans, are these aftermarket pressure plates stronger/more heat resistant
If you don't have to daily it then go with the Exedy hands down.

Both pressure plates have a greater clamp load than OE, and are more heat resistant. The Exedy has a forged aluminum pressure plate with cooling vanes whereas the ACT is stamped steel, very similar to the OE design.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
[QUOTE="ArcsandSparks, post: 2533393, member: 34421"]I don't know, but there shouldn't be any differences in spline count or diameter for 15-17 coyotes. Pretty sure it's the same from 11-19 but don't quote me on that.

If you don't have to daily it then go with the Exedy hands down.

Both pressure plates have a greater clamp load than OE, and are more heat resistant. The Exedy has a forged aluminum pressure plate with cooling vanes whereas the ACT is stamped steel, very similar to the OE design.[/QUOTE]

Some clutch kits are advertised as 23 spline with either 1" or 1 1/16" diameter splines.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm gonna be that guy and say a OE clutch. I think for the price, with close to stock power, you're wasting money buying aftermarket.
Completely agree. There are a lot of higher priority things to spend your money on if you are tracking the car.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Completely agree. There are a lot of higher priority things to spend your money on if you are tracking the car.
The OP doesn't daily drive his car and seems to have thrashed his O.E. clutch - overheating and etc. I think an upgrade based on how he uses the car would be a wise choice.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I blew my OE clutch on a high rpm heel toe downshift at 120mph. Replaced it with an Exedy Mach 500 and their lightened steel flywheel and haven't had a problem since. I have put the clutch through over a 100 20 minute HPDE sessions and drive the car at the limit so the clutch experiences a high amount of stress and heat.

Highly recommend the Exedy setup for close to stockish power level. It takes the abuse just fine, doesn't make much NVH after it wears in, and shifts quite a bit smoother than the factory setup.

Note: Don't forget to upgrade fluid as well. I'm a fan of Castrol SRF.
Sponsored