Battery Trickle Charger Connection Points

Fatman1966

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2013 GT500, 1985 Mustang GT
Of these three post near the fuse box in the picture which one post us best to connect the positive lead of my pigtail connector to? Or should I not connect a trickle type charger here at all? I’m assuming it’s ok to place the negative on the negative ground on strut tower where there is already a screw with what appears to be a ground? I want to leave the battery box cover on so I’m hoping to hook up a quick connect pigtail to my Noco G3500 for storage charging.

3F814620-44CA-4E5C-AC3B-6AB9AC8FEA00.jpeg
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I use the one closest to the firewall, but curious what others say so i'm here to follow along!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The stud closest to the firewall is direct to the battery, and the other two are hooked to it by massive fuses (125 amp and 275 amp). It doesn't matter which one your charger is connected to.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I use the one closest to the firewall, but curious what others say so i'm here to follow along!
Same. Use the one closest to the firewall. That's the one that goes through the current transformer and connects to the battery.

I'm an electrician by trade but feel free to do what you want. Lol

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Mine is connected to the top one in pic and the ground on strut tower.
This is the most correct / proper way. I don't know why people keep asking the same question over and over.

The BMS has current transformers on these two conductors for a reason.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is the most correct / proper way. I don't know why people keep asking the same question over and over.

The BMS sensor is on the ground wires, according to the schematic.

1611425163746.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is also one on the positive. It is on the center most red wire in the fuse box. It is the tallest one. It is easy to see if you follow the wire. The amp sensor is about 8 inches from the terminal.

Sur3n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Suren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What does the manual for the charger say? C-Tek/FP charges recommend positive battery terminal and chassis ground.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There is also one on the positive. It is on the center most red wire in the fuse box. It is the tallest one. It is easy to see if you follow the wire. The amp sensor is about 8 inches from the terminal.
The one on the positive lead is the "Generator Current Sensor" and it monitors the current being provided to the entire vehicle (not just the battery) from the alternator. It doesn't monitor the battery's state of charge; that's what the ones on the negative lead do.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fatman1966

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
What does the manual for the charger say? C-Tek/FP charges recommend positive battery terminal and chassis ground.
I’ve had the charger for years so no manual. I have never had a car with a battery cover so I always just went to positive on battery and the negative to a stud on braces

OP
OP

Fatman1966

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)

Thanks, I looked at various threads and it was just never clear to me. Wiring /electrical is not my thing so I appreciate folks who have that knowledge so I don’t screw up stuff. I have two the same height and the tape is covering the wires all the way to the top. It looks like the middle one is a red wire. I also just noticed the shock tower has two grounds , one visible on top and one under the strut tower brace. I think I go negative to the one on top?

OP
OP

Fatman1966

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
Is the AMP sensor the circular hook looking thing on the wire? It’s in my center connected wire. Is this the one I use to connect the fitting for the pigtail?

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350

Oh crap. I've just been directly connecting to my battery. I'll have to go and fix that!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The one on the positive lead is the "Generator Current Sensor" and it monitors the current being provided to the entire vehicle (not just the battery) from the alternator. It doesn't monitor the battery's state of charge; that's what the ones on the negative lead do.

Ok, good to know

Is the AMP sensor the circular hook looking thing on the wire? It’s in my center connected wire.
Yes.

Is this the one I use to connect the fitting for the pigtail?
You can use any of the terminals, but I believe the proper one is the one closest to the firewall after reading JAJ's response.
Sponsored