Battery Trickle Charger Connection Points

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I connect my pig tail direct to the battery and run the plug end out under the cover.
Then I tuck it under a wire loom until I conncet to the tender.
I do not see any problem with going straight to the battery, am I missing something?
Thanks
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I connect my pig tail direct to the battery and run the plug end out under the cover.
I do not see any problem with going straight to the battery, am I missing something?
Thanks
Yes. The car has a smart battery management system and your connections leave it in the dark about how the battery is being charged.

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Closest one to the firewall side is the right positive connector, and then any piece of steel for the negative, I clip on to a piece of metal right on the strut tower. Also, I would highly recommend against a Trickle Charger. You should be using a Battery Tender ! A trickle charger is a constant charge which you do not want, where as a battery tender is smart, charges the battery to the right level and then shuts itself off and turns back on when needed. Battery Tender Jr. is highly recommended.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
So, 1. We have a distinction in battery tenders and trickle chargers as explained. (Many tend to use the "misnomer" trickle charger indiscriminantly most likely because trickle chargers existed well before newer technologies evolved to modulate/stop/start electrical current as battery tenders do).

2. Of the 3 terminals at fuse area the terminal closest to firewall (as Dr. Norts so adequately and repeatedly described) is the optimal connection point as this terminal leads to or actually is the battery circuit effectively unencumbered by sensors or other electrical interventions like fuses, etc.

3. Grounds - shock tower existing leads or access to truncating the ground connection remain as a reasonable location.

Thank you all for the contributions. I think we're done here on this subject lol 😉 !!!

Sponsored

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
So, 1. We have a distinction in battery tenders and trickle chargers as explained. (Many tend to use the "misnomer" trickle charger indiscriminantly most likely because trickle chargers existed well before newer technologies evolved to modulate/stop/start electrical current as battery tenders do).

2. Of the 3 terminals at fuse area the terminal closest to firewall (as Dr. Norts so adequately and repeatedly described) is the optimal connection point as this terminal leads to or actually is the battery circuit effectively unencumbered by sensors or other electrical interventions like fuses, etc.

3. Grounds - shock tower existing leads or access to truncating the ground connection remain as a reasonable location.

Thank you all for the contributions. I think we're done here on this subject lol 😉 !!!
so it is not OK to put the positive directly on the battery and negative on the ground with a CTEK, y'all are saying go through the fuse box everytime now? :)

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
so it is not OK to put the positive directly on the battery and negative on the ground with a CTEK, y'all are saying go through the fuse box everytime now? :)
I don't think we're done on this subject 🙂 .

CTEK manual said to connect both '+' and '-' directly to the battery terminals.
All my cars owner manuals(nothing in gt350 manual about this) instruct to connect '+' to the battery and '-' to the ground. All German cars have dedicated ground bolt for '-'. I've done my CTEK connection: '+' directly on the battery terminal and '-' to the ground on the tower strut bolt - easy enough.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Thanks
It's been a while, but i don't recall there being as easy of a connection directly on the battery vs using the terminals at the fuse box. Maybe I'm thinking of a different car though! do you have a pic of what you did?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The correct way has been posted here by myself and others multiple times, but it's your car. Do whatever makes you happy.

Debating this isn't going to change what the most correct way is to do this.

the charger manual states to connect it to the positive and negative leads of the battery because every vehicle is going to be different.. They would have a book as big as a a dictionary if they covered every single application for every single vehicle.

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
thanks y'all

I just switched it to (+) connected inside fuse box (top one in the photo), (-) on the strut tower ground.

Hooked it up and should be fine now.

Sponsored

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It's been a while, but i don't recall there being as easy of a connection directly on the battery vs using the terminals at the fuse box. Maybe I'm thinking of a different car though! do you have a pic of what you did?
Of course I made sure the spots I connected to were good, also use a tender,
not a trickle charger.

bat.jpg

bat1.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
interesting,for some reason I thought those clamping posts wouldn't work.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Same. Use the one closest to the firewall. That's the one that goes through the current transformer and connects to the battery.

I'm an electrician by trade but feel free to do what you want. Lol
That's the one I use. In my case I didn't know any electrical difference and chose it because it's lower so the fuse box cover puts less stress on the wire.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That's the one I use. In my case I didn't know any electrical difference and chose it because it's lower so the fuse box cover puts less stress on the wire.
can you guys post a picture of this point? ive been using the strut tower bolt, that has the little black ground running to it as my grounding point. if this is not the correct one, interested to see the other point.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
These are the ones I use and others here say to use.

20210124_152159.jpg

20210124_152134.jpg
Sponsored