Battery tender use/question

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
So it's Indiana winter and the GT is sitting for weeks without being driven. Some nice person got me a battery tender for Christmas and been trying it out. For those who have them I'm wondering about the charging levels and connections. The one I have is good but only has LED indicators , battery level low flashing amber, charging over 50% to 80% is flashing green, fully charged is soild green. I connect the negative to the chassis/body (reading about the BMS threads) and red to the battery. I got solid green on the first time charge but leaving it on it's always flashing green which indicates it's charged between 50% to 80%.

The instructions encourage you to connect the lugs to both terminals not the clips for long term, trickle charging, good or no?
Sponsored

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Clamps or lugs doesn't matter as long as you give the clamps a good wiggle once they're on to make sure they have a good connection. I'd be happy with either green, solid or flashing, it's still green. I've got a couple different tenders on different vehicles that never show fully charged either but the battery voltage is definitely higher than if not on the tender.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
So it's Indiana winter and the GT is sitting for weeks without being driven. Some nice person got me a battery tender for Christmas and been trying it out. For those who have them I'm wondering about the charging levels and connections. The one I have is good but only has LED indicators , battery level low flashing amber, charging over 50% to 80% is flashing green, fully charged is soild green. I connect the negative to the chassis/body (reading about the BMS threads) and red to the battery. I got solid green on the first time charge but leaving it on it's always flashing green which indicates it's charged between 50% to 80%.

The instructions encourage you to connect the lugs to both terminals not the clips for long term, trickle charging, good or no?
Hi. I live in Indiana also and keep my GT on a Battery Maintainer during the winter. With the low amperage connecting the clips to the terminals, grounding post ETC, will not be any different than bolting them to the battery terminal. Good luck
Screenshot_20220115-120413.png

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I bought one back in the summer of 17, used the ring terminals directly on the battery. I plug it in when I store the car for the winter. Come spring the car fires right up like it's been parked for only 2 days, not 6 months. The battery in the car is still strong, like day one.

This is the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ5KEEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LOL mine is almost exactly the same there's one more LED for Power on.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
LOL mine is almost exactly the same there's one more LED for Power on.
Yep, Battery Tender has one of the best reputations for trickle charging/maintainer for prolong battery storage. My last one was a different brand and for what ever reason two cells on my one year old battery were dead. So il see how this brand does.

b058038

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
none

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

Treefrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium
I use a battery tender plus. Clips. Hooked up to battery terminals. It's always on solid green anytime i look at it. It's been on over a month now.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't drive it every week,it's a good thing to have.

You don't need to spend a fortune for a good one.

Battery Tender junior unit is more than adequate.

1642897693624.png

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)

1642897693624.png
I use this brand Battery t nder/ maintainer but: my one year old battery has two dead cell and I think that was contributed to not doing the procedures OEM manual say to perform after battery replacement. Plus I did not go with a AGM battery. So when I replace my battery again this spring I will buy one. Live and Learn

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

1642897693624.png
Disagree, good for a lawnmower, maybe a dirt bike. Waste of $$$

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
For a car or truck battery you should have at least 1.25 amp output. The tender jr. with an 800mA output is intended for a motorcycle or lawn equipment or anything else with a small battery.