Battery Tender

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I asked Ford Performance if this can be used on my car since it states 2005-2021 Mustang and they said no. Is there some major electrical/battery change between 21 and 22-23?

M-10300-FP_V1.jpg
The ford one looks a lot like the ctek which i use. I also use these junior tenders also - directly to the battery

IMG_3330.png

IMG_3329.png

When i was a kid my neighbor had an inflator plugged into his new RV cig lighter…. The thing overheated and melted his dash….

I get it, electronics are better now, but i still am always leery plugging anything stong through the cigarette lighter
Sponsored

Last edited:

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
@dps Can you give a pic of your engine bay with all the Track Attack stickers, etc? Thanks!
Ha - always happy to share pics. I have a whole album :). I also have relatively new hood-strut wraps (Bemaro films) but no photos.
IMG_E2241[1].JPG
IMG_E2242[1].JPG
IMG_2132.JPG

Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
BlkMach10510

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Well installed my tender to the fuse box. Hopefully that will take care of my battery drain issue. I read on some of the threads that I may need to leave it on for a certain amount of hours for the BMS to learn the charging. I was wondering do I need to do that or not since it is hooked up to the fuse box.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
When you hook it up to the fuse box, the BMS will monitor the tender. If you don't want the bms to interfere, just go directly to the battery.

OP
OP
BlkMach10510

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
When you hook it up to the fuse box, the BMS will monitor the tender. If you don't want the bms to interfere, just go directly to the battery.
I went this way because it seems easier so I do not have to take off the battery cover everytime plus it can blend in. How many hours do I need to leave it on for the initial charge and will I have to do that everytime or will the BMS learned after the first charge?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I honestly don't know. I went directly to the battery. The only time mine is hooked up is when the car is in storage and at that point, I don't care what the BMS wants to do or monitor. I just hook up the tender and leave it on 24/7 for the 5 to 6 months the car is in storage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlkMach10510

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I attached the charger to the fuse box, let it charge for eight hours and then drove it for about 30 minutes. I looked at resting voltage as soon as I turned off my car and it is still at 12.0V. The charger went through all of its stages. Do I need to reset BMS?

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I just skimmed this thread and understand that the OP went with hardwiring.
That's good because I don't think plugging into the power ports/cigarette lighter would work. Both are controlled by the BCM and will time out/turn off. Pretty sure that would stop any charging. Not to mention the risk of damaging the BCM by backfeeding voltage through it.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I attached the charger to the fuse box, let it charge for eight hours and then drove it for about 30 minutes. I looked at resting voltage as soon as I turned off my car and it is still at 12.0V. The charger went through all of its stages. Do I need to reset BMS?
I know others have said hooking to the fuse box works well for them. But I would personally go straight to the battery terminals.
What are you using to measure resting voltage and how do you measure it?
Also, when the car is running what is the voltage at the battery?
Unless you have replaced your battery you should not reset the BMS.

OP
OP
BlkMach10510

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I know others have said hooking to the fuse box works well for them. But I would personally go straight to the battery terminals.
What are you using to measure resting voltage and how do you measure it?
Also, when the car is running what is the voltage at the battery?
Unless you have replaced your battery you should not reset the BMS.
I just have my car to see my resting voltage. When the car is running my voltage is 14.5. My dealer reset the BMS about two weeks ago because of the blue screen I received. I reset it right after I did my post so idk. According to my car my rest voltage goes between 11.0-12.0V.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I went this way because it seems easier so I do not have to take off the battery cover everytime plus it can blend in. How many hours do I need to leave it on for the initial charge and will I have to do that everytime or will the BMS learned after the first charge?
I put my tender on in the colder months when I know it won't be driven for more than a week. The tender monitors ands keeps the battery charged up. As noted, I'm wired to the fuse box.
Sponsored