Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I removed my HAI (saw IATs 50 degrees over ambient temps sitting in traffic), and switched back to the stock intake and 93R tune. The car suns smoother, has less hesitation/pulls smoother and harder at low RPMs, idles smoother, runs cooler.....

Those odd appendages on the stock CAI definitely help keep the engine running smooth.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I removed my HAI (saw IATs 50 degrees over ambient temps sitting in traffic), and switched back to the stock intake and 93R tune. The car suns smoother, has less hesitation/pulls smoother and harder at low RPMs, idles smoother, runs cooler.....

Those odd appendages on the stock CAI definitely help keep the engine running smooth.
Which one did you have?

GT350 airbox with Velossatech I see worst of 25-30 deg over ambient in traffic, and usually in the 10-15 deg range. The sealing of it to the hood is a big reason I chose it.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Which one did you have?

GT350 airbox with Velossatech I see worst of 25-30 deg over ambient in traffic, and usually in the 10-15 deg range. The sealing of it to the hood is a big reason I chose it.
JLT. The one that's open at the top. I might try some other CAI at some point.

The smoothness being back is a big improvement. Felt like a truck engine.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
JLT. The one that's open at the top. I might try some other CAI at some point.

The smoothness being back is a big improvement. Felt like a truck engine.

I had the Mishimoto full enclosed before the blower. Cruising was identical to stock, sitting in staging lanes/traffic 80+ ambient would get 110-120. Even at the track just the rpm of the burnout would pull enough cool air in to be back under 100 before running. In traffic 40 mph for 10 seconds would be back within a couple of ambient. Would make someone a helluva deal on it as it's about to go in the trash soon. Too many parts laying around the garage.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Same experience here. Happy to be back with my stock induction system.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Think I may order a drop in filter and give my 18 stock intake a go on my 17. Don't see why it would be much different aside from the tube size.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Off topic, but I think you'd be happier with a Lund tune. I've tried quite a few Bama tunes on my car and... the Lund tune is just that much better. Something to consider for the future perhaps, that is all!

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Open intake in summer = zero gains. Lol.
More like... Open intake with hood down = almost zero gains.
The awesome sound they make is them sucking $350 out of your wallet for @ 1 HP.
But hey, they look cool when you're at cars & coffee.

Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This has been covered 8 million times before.

The larger MAF housings and higher flowing conical filters make more slightly power on 15-17 cars unless the intake temps get REALLY hot.

The larger factory MAF housing in the 18+ cars make an aftermarket intake pointless unless in the real world unless you only drive at constant 50mph+ speeds in the winter

They do look cool, though.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

A hood with a functioning air intake will help with your CAI. Nothing will help temps at idle, but those temps aren't a big deal. When was the last time you sat at idle on a race track?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Nothing will help temps at idle, but those temps aren't a big deal. When was the last time you sat at idle on a race track?
Unfortunately, this is the life of most drag racers. They sit idling in the pits for 5-10 minutes at a time, then only get 10-12 seconds of run time to "cool off" the IATs. Most of the time, they are still running higher than ambient IATs even after finishing their run, so a sealed intake is paramount for good performance at the drag strip. If not, most of the run the computer will be pulling heavy timing.

For those rare road racers, you are right there's very little idle time at the track and for the most part the intake has a chance to cool off back to near ambient temps by the time it counts. Getting in a full 2 minute warmup lap at speed greatly reduces the IATs, something that drag racers don't have the benefit of.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Waiting to watch the OEM 18 intakes go up in price now. If you see one for sale in the classifieds section and you're considering one, I'd jump on it. A lot going for cheap with people going FI.
Sponsored