B&O 10" sub replacement guide

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Yes, but without the trim ring. E6000 clear adhesive will hold two pieces of steel together......ok, kidding on that, but is a really strong adhesive that I use for a lot of projects.
So actually you glued the grille with E6000 - on what - the speaker rim?
Can we see the picture of final installation?
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I will try to get a pic of it today.

So actually you glued the grille with E6000 - on what - the speaker rim?
Can we see the picture of final installation?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
And that woofer also doesn't sit like the stock one, so I gave up on replacing the sub. I destroyed the 'ring' when adding poly-fil, so I don't have it anymore anyway. If I was to replace the sub, it'd have to be dual-voice, sit like stock, and be able to install the stock grille without gluing it (with screws). It looks like there's no such thing, so it'll stay stock :).

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have a feeling that some people are not as anal about keeping everything exactly stock as you are. Nothing wrong with how you want things..... just saying. I have to ask if you can glue it to look like stock, why wouldn't you. Oh never mind. We've had this conversation already. We are talking about people who aren't satisfied with the stock sound and willing to make changes to get the sound we want. For you, stock is good enough and that is ok also.

And that woofer also doesn't sit like the stock one, so I gave up on replacing the sub. I destroyed the 'ring' when adding poly-fil, so I don't have it anymore anyway. If I was to replace the sub, it'd have to be dual-voice, sit like stock, and be able to install the stock grille without gluing it (with screws). It looks like there's no such thing, so it'll stay stock :).

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
If you go back to the start of this thread this is exactly what you can achieve with the Pioneer sub as I and others have done.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm not satisfied, nor dissatisfied, with the stock sub, hence my conditions :). My main condition is the sub would have to sit just like stock, for a perfect seal. If not, that's an automatic deal-breaker for me. And same not being able to use the stock screw locations, which are much beefier than the shallower plastic around them. And yes, I'm more anal than the majority of folks here, but it is what it is :). Have a great weekend, and TG ahead.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I'm not satisfied, nor dissatisfied, with the stock sub, hence my conditions :). My main condition is the sub would have to sit just like stock, for a perfect seal. If not, that's an automatic deal-breaker for me. And same not being able to use the stock screw locations, which are much beefier than the shallower plastic around them. And yes, I'm more anal than the majority of folks here, but it is what it is :). Have a great weekend, and TG ahead.
OK for one last time - the Pioneer sub fits perfectly and the trim ring fits back on top. It seals perfectly and there is no issue with the screw locations as it is only a mm or two different. The stock sub is trash and the sound difference with the Pioneer is night and day better.

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
You can take it apart and install the Pioneer speaker with zero other changes. If you have trouble getting the holes to line up, opening them up a bit on the speaker works fine. The factory sub is trash in comparison by any measure. If you ever needed to reinstall the factory sub, nobody would ever know the Pioneer had been in there. Not complicated. Regardless, wish you happiness with your Mustang!

20201014_234538.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
the Pioneer sub fits perfectly and the trim ring fits back on top.
You can take it apart and install the Pioneer speaker with zero other changes.
Thank you guys. That's not what I remember reading, but will revisit the first post, and get part numbers, and other parts needed for the installation (connectors, etc), and order the damn thing as my 'holiday' present. Ha ha. Happy TG to all.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
There is enough adjustment to then use the new fitting screws with the OEM grille for the remaining 4 screw holes. The OEM screws will not fit.

20201005_144056.jpg

Finally refit the trim ring (that you probably broke when you removed the original speaker) and refit in the car.

20201005_145151.jpg

So finally how does it sound ? Night and day better ! The bass is now controlled and tight as well as not overpowering and at the same time the OEM look is retained.
Is it possible that OEM grille obstructing the cone excursions at high volume?

Sponsored

barkingspud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premuim
The install with the Pioneer Woofer is pretty straight forward. I got the trim ring off without breaking anything with the exception of one of the pegs (?) that the trim ring snaps in to. It's not completely broke but the part that retains the trim ring is so, the trim ring is a bit loose at that point. I am wondering what the best method would be to make sure the trim ring is secured at that point. I suspect it will cause a rattle at some point. Any ideas?

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
I am wondering what the best method would be to make sure the trim ring is secured at that point. I suspect it will cause a rattle at some point. Any ideas?
I have broke all of the pins except one. They are half broken - the side with the bulge is missing now.
During reassembly I have put very small drop of glue on remaining side of each pin. The trim ring is securely fixed. No movement or rattle during vibration.
Maybe not the best method, but is working so far.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe try the above with a blob of silicone rather than glue ?

Tape the ring in place whilst it cures.

Silicone should provide some resistance to rattle, be easy to clean up any excess and be non permanent if future removal is required.

WD :like:

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
Maybe try the above with a blob of silicone rather than glue ?

WD :like:

This for sure is better method.

The damaging the pins was not foreseen.
Therefore I didn't have silicone next to me during the installation.
I have grabbed the tuba of universal UHU glue from my son's school bag and did the job.

I know, I know - very unprofessional.
Silicone is much better idea. I will use it in case UHU will resign 🙂.
Sponsored