B&O center (dash) speaker replacement guide request

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I looked at some of those other speakers and not sure if they would fit very well, they look more like they are designed to go in a 2 or 3 way bookshelf or floor standing speaker. Also, not sure about them holding up to car interior (or door) conditions and the extreme temps and moisture levels than can occur. Even if you could get them to fit, they might not last very long.
Sponsored

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I looked at some of those other speakers and not sure if they would fit very well, they look more like they are designed to go in a 2 or 3 way bookshelf or floor standing speaker. Also, not sure about them holding up to car interior (or door) conditions and the extreme temps and moisture levels than can occur. Even if you could get them to fit, they might not last very long.
Which speakers are you referring to? The ones I mentioned?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you guys see a specific speaker that you like, this place can make a bracket for you that fits the factory mounting locations with properly spaced mounting holes. I ordered a set for the AudioFrog tweeters that I installed in the dash of the 2019 Chrysler 300 that I had.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
If you guys see a specific speaker that you like, this place can make a bracket for you that fits the factory mounting locations with properly spaced mounting holes. I ordered a set for the AudioFrog tweeters that I installed in the dash of the 2019 Chrysler 300 that I had.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/
The Mustang isn't listed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What about this one?
That doesn't look like a car speaker; look at the holes. And same thing with those $400+ linked above yours. Our best bet will be one of the four 8-ohm ones that somebody else posted. We need something that bolts on the factory holes, and that the tweeter doesn't protrude much, to avoid the issue of the tweeter hitting the B&O grille.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That doesn't look like a car speaker; look at the holes. And same thing with those $400+ linked above yours. Our best bet will be one of the four 8-ohm ones that somebody else posted. We need something that bolts on the factory holes, and that the tweeter doesn't protrude much, to avoid the issue of the tweeter hitting the B&O grille.
This might help some on an exact replacement coaxial speaker. Kicker makes one the guy shows the Part number in the video, which is a good video on how to remove the cover. I actually used this method to remove mine and drill a hole in it for my nitrous controller cable.

I think itā€™s one of the speakers in the link that I posted fromCrutchfield that fits the Chrysler 300, so that should also confirm that the others would fit too, as I suspected.
36050005-0087-4EF6-98D0-DE382E7A4499.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The guy gives his opinion as to how it sounds at the end. He didnā€™t mention that it brightened the sound any, given that itā€s a 4 ohm speaker.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, you're right. Shoulda looked closer.
The Kicker's are discontinued.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Hey guys I have some 3.5" speakers up for sale: JBL GTO 329 I have no idea if they fit or if they will be overbearing as they are 3ohm and 91dB efficiency. If these fit as a center channel, you may need an L-pad or a 4 to 6 ohm resistor in series with it.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
He didnā€™t mention that it brightened the sound any, given that itā€s a 4 ohm speaker.
You missed a crucial detail: His stock speaker was 2 ohms (he even mentioned that on his video), so a 4 ohm one would sound less loud. Our B&O is 8 ohm, so a 4-ohm would be the opposite... and we do not want that :). But yes, I'd prefer a coaxial 3-1/2 8-ohm speaker, and none of the options over PartsExpress has one of those.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You missed a crucial detail: His stock speaker was 2 ohms (he even mentioned that on his video), so a 4 ohm one would sound less loud. Our B&O is 8 ohm, so a 4-ohm would be the opposite... and we do not want that :). But yes, I'd prefer a coaxial 3-1/2 8-ohm speaker, and none of the options over PartsExpress has one of those.
Yeah, I just skimmed through it and was focusing more on the protrusion of the tweeter, as I know that was a concern of yours, so I did miss that. Take a look at this article regarding changing impedance of a speaker using a resistor. Maybe this may be a workaround for you.

https://soundcertified.com/how-to-add-resistor-to-speaker-to-change-match-impedance/

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge in here about speakers to which I have none. I was considering have someone swap the B&O speakers in the car and add in an amp for cleaner and better sound. The rear channels sound so empty that I was hoping it would clean it up. Based on some of the comments it seems that swapping speaker isnā€™t that easy. Is it not recommended to do the upgrade to a different set of speakers and add an amp?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge in here about speakers to which I have none. I was considering have someone swap the B&O speakers in the car and add in an amp for cleaner and better sound. The rear channels sound so empty that I was hoping it would clean it up. Based on some of the comments it seems that swapping speaker isnā€™t that easy. Is it not recommended to do the upgrade to a different set of speakers and add an amp?
Yes, itā€™s definitely worth it to at least upgrade the mid bass woofers in the lower portion of the doors. I did this with a Hertz DSK 165 speaker set and left them powered by the factory B&O amp. The Hertz speakers also come with a set of 24.3 mm tweeters which fit perfectly in the A-pillars (must hot glue them in) behind the factory grills too, so it looks factory. I do have an AudioControl 4.300W amp running the tweets. The rear deck speakers donā€˜t bring much to the party either. I actually removed one of mine to serve as a bass port for the 12ā€ JL Audio Stealthbox sub that Iā€™m running. I am using an AudioControl 1.300 mono sub amp to power the subwoofer. My speaker signal is fed from the head unit via a PacAudio AmpPro4 fd-21 amp interface, into an AudioControl DM-608 Digital Sound Processor and from there, into the two aforementioned amps. Stereo sound killer now! Oh and I removed the center channel speaker from the dash altogether and it improved the sound. No negative effects either.
Sponsored