Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I saw this thread and just pulled my B&O sub apart to prepare for this mod!

However after removing everything the original sub seems to be glued or something to the sub box.
How did you guys loosen the speaker? I don't want to ruin anything

Thanks!
There is a sticky seal around the edge of the speaker - just pull it out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
:crackup: guess I'll bring out the jackhammer then! I kinda guessed I would have to get a little sweaty - however I don't want to break the original sub nor the box and maybe someone had a trick so it was easy to achieve this :like:
Please do break the original sub - crush it and burn it !

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@WD Pro and @Gregs24

I think I was tired last night... boy that was easy to get off when I tried again this morning... it almost just fell off!

just ordered the Pioneer sub and will probably get it before the weekend to do the fix! I will cut a little in the new sub though. I want to use the factory screw holes.

In my mind I'd break the original, but I like to keep the stock parts to change it back. I'll give it untill it gets out on the road again next season and then I'll blow up the original one haha :crackup:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just ordered the Pioneer sub and will probably get it before the weekend to do the fix! I will cut a little in the new sub though. I want to use the factory screw holes.
Me too, so please report how it went :). Are you going to re-install the original 'ring', or just the OEM grille? I'd have to do the latter, since my ring broke at 2 places, and it was useless, so threw it away. I 'dremelled' the ring studs flush, and painted the bolts black, so it looks decent now. I'd have liked to install the Pioneer ring for a better look, but it doesn't match the factory holes, so rather install it on the factory holes, and re-use the stock grille. Hopefully you'll report that the bolts are sturdy enough to hold the heavier sub in place solidly. Looking forward to your report :). Oh, and also report on the sound difference installed that way. And how you wired it. That's it. Ha ha. Thanks brother.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Me too, so please report how it went :).
I will post some detailed pictures and description - I have an idea of how to do it but I'll show with pictures.
I will be reusing all parts except for the stock speaker unit ofcourse - I want it to look original.

Sponsored

s1ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I will post some detailed pictures and description - I have an idea of how to do it but I'll show with pictures.
I will be reusing all parts except for the stock speaker unit ofcourse - I want it to look original.
Looking forward to your photos too! My Pioneer should arrive shortly.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Plenty of pictures at the start of this thread to help you.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Plenty of pictures at the start of this thread to help you.
Yeah and yours helped me out too. I don't want to make your guide look bad, but just wanted to pitch in with detailed photos of the trick not to ruin the frame if people want to reuse that and when cutting the new unit to match the original holes :like:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to describe what got my frame off in one piece, it’s hard putting it into words though - pictures would be great :like:

WD :like:

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Many thanks to the OP for this thread and all of the provided information. I never anticipated the sub in the optional $995 sound system to sound like an adult bullfrog stuck in a galvanized trash can.

The trim ring comes off fairly easy if you apply a little heat and then use trim tools to pry it off the studs. A few of the tips might break off the studs but you'll be fine.

I used memory foam to insulate the box. It's all I had but worked well. If you are prepared with everything needed, this installation takes only an hour and provides a big improvement in sound for little money.
20201014_221310.jpg
20201014_223110.jpg
20201014_225642.jpg
20201014_234538.jpg

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
^^ Congrats on your successful sub upgrade and nice tip on the heat gun. I'll bet many folks wouldn't have broken their trim ring into 20 little pieces with this tip.

And this is classic and sums up the "Awesome Shaker System":
I never anticipated the sub in the optional $995 sound system to sound like an adult bullfrog stuck in a galvanized trash can.

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
I installed the Dayton RSS265HO-44 in my 20 convertible, no mods to then enclosure, and I'm just going to put a waffle grill over the top of it. I did use a gasket on the back of the sub as it does not fit fully between the ridges, nor does the basket fit in the hole unless it is cut. But I'm happy:)

2020-04-20 14.51.07.jpg

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
How does it sound????

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
How does it sound????
It's way better than the factory sub, but I want more power and control. So I'm installing an RF 500x1 with volume control knob. I'll put the knob on the side of the seat.
Sponsored