APR Splitter Mounting

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
did you have to go through the bumper at all? Trying to figure out a way that will avoid having to drill through anything to get to the bash bar.
You have to put notches in the lower grille. That’s about it. Rather that than bumper

DB7C7EEB-9837-49ED-8B7F-443DE4257DAC.jpeg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Basically same thing here. Holes in the plastic grill (not bumper) to pass the rods through to rivnuts in the bottom of the crash bar.

53C1A044-0E6A-46F2-A8E2-649DCD4DA526.jpeg

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I had never thought about the rivnuts. I just got my rivnut tool the other day. I'm going to install those the next time my bumper is off.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Did you purchase extended rods? Also have you guys seen this way? Just wondering how I would fabricate it to copy the setup. Not talking about the sides but just the front rods and support
10AA67E9-75EF-4E2C-AD86-E76AF9AA8338.jpeg
Hey feel free to DM me.
Better on IG if possible
@italian_stang
Glad to help.
Ps. Doing the new one right now...
Alessandro

20220109_171047.jpg

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
10-11.75 inches. Next time I’ll go another inch.
Which splitter do you have?

Is the APR splitter an upgrade over the PP2 splitter? I'm planning downforce upgrades next year and looking at Race Louvres, larger rear spoiler/wing and upgraded front splitter.

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium

Is the APR splitter an upgrade over the PP2 splitter? I'm planning downforce upgrades next year and looking at Race Louvres, larger rear spoiler/wing and upgraded front splitter.
It’s just an add on. Doesn’t replace any parts. Very happy with the look and performance

FBB0CEAD-FF8F-4DEA-94C4-4CBBB7E56CED.jpeg

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

I have the ZL1 Addons.

Yes the APR is a bit of an upgrade because you can mount it closer to the ground and you can have them do a custom order and extend the protrusion of the splitter. Also you can install tunnels for real downforce on APR splitter

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)

Minimum.
The splitter to work "enough to feel it" needs some things.
1. Around 3inch from the ground.
2. Strong and not flexible.
3.chassis mounted to.support the pull.

A blade at 3" from the ground is around 200lbs at 100mph.
Be sure.to plan accordingly with the choice of your wing.
You want balance not absolute DF values.
Good luck!

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I hard mounted mine to the crash beams of the front subframe so no rods needed.

It was a trial and error process over the course of a few track days but I'm very happy with the results.
Do you happen to have a more detailed write up on your setup with the parts you used to mount it to the subframe? Did you get yours down to 3" off the ground? So the quick latch on the bumper just allows for easier removal if needed?

I have the ZL1 Addons.

Yes the APR is a bit of an upgrade because you can mount it closer to the ground and you can have them do a custom order and extend the protrusion of the splitter. Also you can install tunnels for real downforce on APR splitter
I like the ZL1 option with the fender extension. However, being made of ABS plastic, is it too flexible to be effective?

What tunnels would be added? More than just the brake cooling tunnels?

Minimum.
The splitter to work "enough to feel it" needs some things.
1. Around 3inch from the ground.
2. Strong and not flexible.
3.chassis mounted to.support the pull.

A blade at 3" from the ground is around 200lbs at 100mph.
Be sure.to plan accordingly with the choice of your wing.
You want balance not absolute DF values.
Good luck!
Alessandro, I was wondering if you had a write up for your homemade splitters? I believe your latest one is designed to be removed quickly since it's a street car ;). I would like that option. I also don't need nearly as much downforce as you (yet) so I would build it a little smaller and just make it down to the 3" mark.

I don't quite understand how it gets down 3" above the ground. Based on my measurements the stock splitter (without the PP2 add on) would be about 5.25-5.5" off the ground. If the new splitter gets down to 3", how do you fill the 2+ inch gap?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
like the the ZL1 option with the fender extension. However, being made of ABS plastic, is it too flexible to be effective?

@Flyhalf had it initially with some success as he mentioned. He is very fast on track so it holds lol. Depends on whether you use extra hardware or not.

By tunnels I mean splitter tunnels for downforce. It helps with brake cooling but the purpose is mainly downforce

Here is an example of AJ Hartman’s offering (with good aero info) which Ale ( @Flyhalf ) also has

https://ajhartmanaero.com/small-curved-splitter-tunnels-front-diffusor/

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I hard mounted mine to the crash beams of the front subframe so no rods needed.
Good video, but why even bother with the OEM plastic belly pan then? Seems like it's redundant and being sandwiched there for no reason.

You could have cut out the venturi part of the OEM belly pan and riveted that over the APR splitter then tossed the rest of the pan leaving only the APR splitter. Basically combining the 2 into a single piece.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Good video, but why even bother with the OEM plastic belly pan then? Seems like it's redundant and being sandwiched there for no reason.

You could have cut out the venturi part of the OEM belly pan and riveted that over the APR splitter then tossed the rest of the pan leaving only the APR splitter. Basically combining the 2 into a single piece.
Thank you, thats what I did in the second part of the video.

It was a more complicated assembly but relieved a lot of problems

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
@Flyhalf had it initially with some success as he mentioned. He is very fast on track so it holds lol. Depends on whether you use extra hardware or not.

By tunnels I mean splitter tunnels for downforce. It helps with brake cooling but the purpose is mainly downforce

Here is an example of AJ Hartman’s offering (with good aero info) which Ale ( @Flyhalf ) also has

https://ajhartmanaero.com/small-curved-splitter-tunnels-front-diffusor/
I have ran the ZL1.ADDONS one in my first 2 years.
Some.pics here. Also vs pp2. Pp2 splitter generates 20lbs more ish. This is bigger. So expect more. (See pic vs pp2)
I initially ran without supports (and holded at 140mph at willow.springs) but i did added
Some bolt and nuts vs only bolt and rivetnuts.
I did notice the lower pp1 lip tends to deform that means that.lip does something for downforce.
Then i added 2 chassis mounted rods connected to the crashbar.

I would say total DF on a pp1 is 60-100lbs.
Is a definetely first nice step.

Screenshot_20220630-141431.png

Screenshot_20220630-141428.png

Screenshot_20220630-141245.png

Screenshot_20220630-141214.png

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Do you happen to have a more detailed write up on your setup with the parts you used to mount it to the subframe? Did you get yours down to 3" off the ground? So the quick latch on the bumper just allows for easier removal if needed?

I like the ZL1 option with the fender extension. However, being made of ABS plastic, is it too flexible to be effective?

Alessandro, I was wondering if you had a write up for your homemade splitters? I believe your latest one is designed to be removed quickly since it's a street car ;). I would like that option. I also don't need nearly as much downforce as you (yet) so I would build it a little smaller and just make it down to the 3" mark.

I don't quite understand how it gets down 3" above the ground. Based on my measurements the stock splitter (without the PP2 add on) would be about 5.25-5.5" off the ground. If the new splitter gets down to 3", how do you fill the 2+ inch gap?
I do not. I might do a video maybe one day lol.
Check my IG. There are many post on it.
Yes to go at 3" u need to fill the gap
I use an abs sheet i bought on amazon. Called airdam
10 ft Roll of Airdam/Body... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8TYCW4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And then u mold it to follow contours. And secure to the splitter.
I have an extra set of gen1 splitter (only blade) holder brackets if u want. Or you can use the prof awesome one but u need some fabricator to make an "L shape Bracket to o attach them to.the crash bar

20220320_110239_HDR.jpg

20220320_110136_HDR.jpg

20220316_085822.jpg

20220307_163957.jpg

20220320_110207.jpg

20220320_110239_HDR.jpg

20220316_085846_HDR.jpg

20220307_163957.jpg

20220320_151206.jpg
Sponsored