Another blown engine thread

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Anywhere but Worthington Ford. Sorry to hear about your predicament.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Never, ever buy warranties (or insurance, for that matter) unless the repairs/events that you're insuring yourself against would be financially devastating, or you're just a really anxious person who needs the peace of mind.

No one is ever going to sell you a policy that is actually a wise investment for you. If they did, these companies would be dead broke, but they're rolling in dough. The expected value to you for any warranty or insurance policy is ALWAYS negative, and usually significantly so.

And on that note, if the potential worst case repairs ARE financially devastating, and you think there's any reasonable chance of those repairs being necessary, you probably shouldn't be buying the car in the first place. Especially when we're talking about luxury performance toys.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Sorry to hear about this, I'm going through a lengthy repair process too. Originally, the dealer said "engine replacement" but now they're checking a bunch of other things. I got an ESP from Zurich as additional "comprehensive" coverage for when the bumper-to-bumper expires in a few months. I suspect if I ever tried to claim an engine they would deny it too, but my contract has the VIN and GT350, so we'll see if it ever comes to that... I know people hate the ESPs, but with all the expensive shit in cars these days, including electrical shit I can't fix, I figure one A/C compressor will make the ESP worthwhile.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Ignore this. :ontheloo:

Never, ever buy warranties (or insurance, for that matter) unless the repairs/events that you're insuring yourself against would be financially devastating, or you're just a really anxious person who needs the peace of mind.

No one is ever going to sell you a policy that is actually a wise investment for you. If they did, these companies would be dead broke, but they're rolling in dough. The expected value to you for any warranty or insurance policy is ALWAYS negative, and usually significantly so.

And on that note, if the potential worst case repairs ARE financially devastating, and you think there's any reasonable chance of those repairs being necessary, you probably shouldn't be buying the car in the first place. Especially when we're talking about luxury performance toys.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I can't argue with your logic. I think you are 100% right.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350

I dunno, I'm pretty confident that I'll get a new motor out of my extended warranty before it's all said and done haha

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dunno, I'm pretty confident that I'll get a new motor out of my extended warranty before it's all said and done haha
You might, and even if not for the legal headaches, it can sometimes turn out for the best for the buyer with a bit of the right [bad] luck. And even if not, the peace of mind it brings has some monetary But I think as a generalization, my point stands true.

Ignore this. :ontheloo:
Alright, Mr. Hill, care to elaborate? :wink:

I did forget to add one more exception to that list, though: you took out a loan and the lienholder requires certain insurance coverage.

... and obviously liability and/or umbrella insurance is still both required and valuable to most people. You can create a lot of very expensive damage if you cause a wreck. Very few people can afford to pay that kinda thing out of pocket without reeling.

I just felt like getting on my soapbox, but my post was most applicable to extended warranties.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
You might, and even if not for the legal headaches, it can sometimes turn out for the best for the buyer with a bit of the right [bad] luck. And even if not, the peace of mind it brings has some monetary But I think as a generalization, my point stands true.
Yeah, this car is honestly the only one I've ever felt the warranty was a good idea. So in general we are in agreement, but since it's a gt350 thread, I think it's money well spent, ESPECIALLY if one is using the car as it was intended to be used!

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, this car is honestly the only one I've ever felt the warranty was a good idea. So in general we are in agreement, but since it's a gt350 thread, I think it's money well spent, ESPECIALLY if one is using the car as it was intended to be used!
I was assuming that most warranty companies would take the car model (including known issues and cost of repairs) into account before pricing your premium. Maybe there's some models (possibly including the GT350) where the math works in your favor... but then I feel like you're more likely to end up in a situation like the OP's, heh. I feel like I've heard a lot of similar horror stories about third party warranties.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What I found is that since I used my GT350 as a car and drove it over 10,000 miles per year the extended warranty prices were really high. Higher than I was interested in paying. But I didn't even consider buying an extended warranty when I originally purchased the car. At that time the warranties were somewhat cheaper. My logic was the same as RocketGuy3. Extended warranties are usually not a good deal.

So after a couple years of ownership when I started considering an extended warranty the prices for coverage had skyrocketed due to the number of claims.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
If it were REALLY designed to be used the way you think, why would the engines blow up as often as they do? Someone missed something somewhere. Either marketing set over expectation or under designed. PS- Love the GT350 but Iā€™ve never seen anything like this on any other. Really disappointing since I like them so much. Sorry for those who have to deal with it.

Last edited:

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I was assuming that most warranty companies would take the car model (including known issues and cost of repairs) into account before pricing your premium. Maybe there's some models (possibly including the GT350) where the math works in your favor... but then I feel like you're more likely to end up in a situation like the OP's, heh. I feel like I've heard a lot of similar horror stories about third party warranties.
agree on 3rd party warranties too, mine is thru ford. Itā€™s def pricey, but there are enough known issues that Iā€™m confident itā€™s worth it. Iā€™ll come back in 5 years if I remember and list what things they fixed :)
Sponsored