Another blown engine thread

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Bought a 2017 just over a year ago with 9k miles and full service history. I monitor the oil level regularly and keep up with oil changes and I had the engine go out on me last week. No issues prior to now.

Started the car up for the first time in a few days, within the first mile the car started to run rough and then check engine light came on and flashed. I immediately pulled over and sat for 15 mins, started the car back up and the check engine light came on but it was solid this time so I babied her back home the mile and then had it towed to the dealership a couple of days later.

Initial analysis from the dealer after a couple of days with the car were that the pistons were damaged due to oil passing a seal somewhere in the cylinder (they couldnt give me the full report yet and my knowledge on this deep of an engine issue is limited) and it needs an engine replacement. Luckily I had done the research on this car before and decided to purchase an extended warranty with QBE but upon submitting the claim they now state that they don't cover this type of car despite verifying my initial quote with my VIN number and not having it on an excluded vehicle list etc.

Suffice to say I am pursuing this further with them (with a lawyer in tow) and wanted to start another thread to more recently cover the issue of both engine failure, replacement and the interaction with a third party extended warranty.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Bought a 2017 just over a year ago with 9k miles and full service history. I monitor the oil level regularly and keep up with oil changes and I had the engine go out on me last week. No issues prior to now.

Started the car up for the first time in a few days, within the first mile the car started to run rough and then check engine light came on and flashed. I immediately pulled over and sat for 15 mins, started the car back up and the check engine light came on but it was solid this time so I babied her back home the mile and then had it towed to the dealership a couple of days later.

Initial analysis from the dealer after a couple of days with the car were that the pistons were damaged due to oil passing a seal somewhere in the cylinder (they couldnt give me the full report yet and my knowledge on this deep of an engine issue is limited) and it needs an engine replacement. Luckily I had done the research on this car before and decided to purchase an extended warranty with QBE but upon submitting the claim they now state that they don't cover this type of car despite verifying my initial quote with my VIN number and not having it on an excluded vehicle list etc.

Suffice to say I am pursuing this further with them (with a lawyer in tow) and wanted to start another thread to more recently cover the issue of both engine failure, replacement and the interaction with a third party extended warranty.
Ouch, very sorry to hear.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
this will be interesting, as qbe isn't required to put a new long block in, they just have to fix it... wonder if ford/dealer will even attempt to repair it vs a new long block...

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
this will be interesting, as qbe isn't required to put a new long block in, they just have to fix it... wonder if ford/dealer will even attempt to repair it vs a new long block...
Dealership handles these cars regularly as well as a GT40 and a bunch of GT500s (one of the rare ones that are competent with the cars it seems) so I feel confident with them. They claim its not repairable but I did initially wonder if just replacing the pistons and seals was a possible fix going by their initial analysis and my basic understanding of the issue.

From my perspective if I can keep numbers matching and its 100% fixed then id be happy - just want the car back and not to pay a load of money for the pleasure!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Never heard of "QBE" for extended warranties.

Despite that, did you read all of the fine print in everything you signed with QBE and any fine print in their other docs?

Whenever signing up for anything such as any Insurance or extended warranty plans - always, always, always read ALL of the fine print. The most important thing with either service is not what is covered, but what is NOT covered. Usually the "what is NOT covered" is the unfortunate whammie that gets quite a few people by surprise when they need the service the most.

Since you say it is a 2017, most likely based on the original warranty start date, the drivetrain 5/60 is expired - otherwise I'd say fall back on it if "QBE" is denying the claim.

After you read ALL of your QBE fine print - I would call them and politely state that if your vehicle was on some type of "exclusion" list, then why did they allow a contract between you and them to be signed AND they took payment from you as well? But yet, no one at any point in time after you signed a Contract with then and before your engine failure, reached out to tell you "hey, we made a mistake and we can't cover your vehicle so we'll refund you in full"?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Despite that, did you read all of the fine print in everything you signed with QBE and any fine print in their other docs?

Whenever signing up for anything such as any Insurance or extended warranty plans - always, always, always read ALL of the fine print. The most important thing with either service is not what is covered, but what is NOT covered. Usually the "what is NOT covered" is the unfortunate whammie that gets quite a few people by surprise when they need the service the most.

Since you say it is a 2017, most likely based on the original warranty start date, the drivetrain 5/60 is expired - otherwise I'd say fall back on it if "QBE" is denying the claim.

After you read ALL of your QBE fine print - I would call them and politely state that if your vehicle was on some type of "exclusion" list, then why did they allow a contract between you and them to be signed AND they took payment from you as well? But yet, no one at any point in time after you signed a Contract with then and before your engine failure, reached out to tell you "hey, we made a mistake and we can't cover your vehicle so we'll refund you in full"?
All fantastic points/advice and thankfully I work in commercial insurance so I am very familiar with policies similar to this and went through it with a fine tooth comb before I even purchased.

They certainly have no grounds to deny or cancel the policy based on the car being excluded, as you rightly say there was no mention of this anywhere at any step in the process. If they stick with this approach it will technically be breach of contract on their part. To be honest I expected them to try and deny this but for something like wear and tear or improper maintenance (or some other common reason these companies deny) - this would also not go well for them as I have the full service history with receipts and the engine only has 15k miles on it so barely worn at all.

I don't want a drawn out fight but I am ready for one.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10

I actually had this exact scenario on a BMW recently, customer had an Alpina B6, something like 6000 miles and a 2016 I think. Came in because the third party extended warranty was about to expire and wanted to see if anything could be covered since they never used it yet. Found a diff bushing was cracking and split, called to make a claim and was told the B6 is on their excluded list. Obviously, the customer was livid. They took the payments all this time just fine till a claim needed to be made, then "nope, this car is excluded from coverage". Warranty company would not back down. I do know they were also only willing to refund him the pro-rated unused portion of the warranty, which was like 2 weeks worth. I don't know what happened after that, or if a lawyer got involved, or how it was actually resolved. We never did the repair, the customer took the car. I feel like the warranty company makes the gamble that if it will never get used, then who's the wiser that they should not have sold it in the first place? Very shady for sure.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I actually had this exact scenario on a BMW recently, customer had an Alpina B6, something like 6000 miles and a 2016 I think. Came in because the third party extended warranty was about to expire and wanted to see if anything could be covered since they never used it yet. Found a diff bushing was cracking and split, called to make a claim and was told the B6 is on their excluded list. Obviously, the customer was livid. They took the payments all this time just fine till a claim needed to be made, then "nope, this car is excluded from coverage". Warranty company would not back down. I do know they were also only willing to refund him the pro-rated unused portion of the warranty, which was like 2 weeks worth. I don't know what happened after that, or if a lawyer got involved, or how it was actually resolved. We never did the repair, the customer took the car. I feel like the warranty company makes the gamble that if it will never get used, then who's the wiser that they should not have sold it in the first place? Very shady for sure.
I have the knowledge, time and patience (and thankfully a different daily driver) to take it to them. In my mind there is no question they cannot deny something based on a exclusion that they do not state at the time the contract is taken out. Ill keep this thread posted on updates.

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just curious, any indication the motor was failing?

I ask because I did an oil change this weekend and found some metal. I already sort of hd a plan in place if it failed, but wasn't expecting failure before 9000 miles either.
No indication at all - even at time of failure the oil pressure and temps were normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Seeing what is on BBB, I'd stay away from QBE.... looks like many folks have issues across all of their offered products/services - and payout or warranty denial is the normal response from QBE, even on BBB.

https://www.bbb.org/us/wi/sun-prair...nies/qbe-insurance-0694-1000017481/complaints
I did read the BBB and most of the issues related to home or other types of warranties - although I agree thats still not great. They are a big company with strong financials and I actually work with a different department in my day job so I felt comfortable enough.

Its also worth noting that the dealership is on my side here and cannot think of any reason why this type of failure would not be covered.

We shall see how it pans out - hopefully I get to speak to them again tomorrow.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Dealership handles these cars regularly as well as a GT40 and a bunch of GT500s (one of the rare ones that are competent with the cars it seems) so I feel confident with them. They claim its not repairable but I did initially wonder if just replacing the pistons and seals was a possible fix going by their initial analysis and my basic understanding of the issue.

From my perspective if I can keep numbers matching and its 100% fixed then id be happy - just want the car back and not to pay a load of money for the pleasure!
Have to ask what dealership here in NY regularly handles these cars as well as GT40's? I'd like to have some options should my car ever require extensive servicing.

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Have to ask what dealership here in NY regularly handles these cars as well as GT40's? I'd like to have some options should my car ever require extensive servicing.
Sorry im in CA now - forgot to update location.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The horror stories with third party providers don’t ever seem to stop. Question, not judging, why did you chose a third party provider in the beginning. Just curious. I’d go full tilt against them as well.

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The horror stories with third party providers don’t ever seem to stop. Question, not judging, why did you chose a third party provider in the beginning. Just curious. I’d go full tilt against them as well.
In this case I knew the company, knew they weren't going anywhere and on top of all that the price was cheap. At the time I was looking to purchase I was preparing for a newborn as well so that likely factored into it thinking about it.

Obviously to some extent you get what you pay for here but I also think you get denials no matter where you purchase from. I believed the key was reading and understanding the policy fully was the most important factor (and making sure that fits your needs) and I was only purchasing to protect against this one specific failure which by the wording is covered.
Sponsored