Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
it sure is, but hes also from down under so i wonder if the part #s are different than the states..
US part numbers start with FR3Z and the latest revision ended in Y. This RHD part number is GR3Z and ends in AF. Looks to be a different part number altogether.
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
42,100 Miles, Second Owner, bought the car December 2015 used, had the typical symtoms randomly leaving the beach with cold only on one side and now no cold a/c in Florida. Called Ford CS yesterday to put the notice out there before going to the stealership this Friday. Had Midas check my A/C while doing my oil change and they said the Evap Core is leaking. This was my first American car after owning a Mitsu, Nissan, VW and this car has definitely surprised me with the most expensive and earliest repair ever (no mods besides suspension and wheels/tires). I hope they can help with the cost because this is crazy! Anyone have this happen outside of warranty?
Mine was out of warranty. Ford customer service told me sorry, not sorry. And that I should have bought an extended warranty when I had the chance. Add in the techs joyriding my car and dumping the clutch from near redline and a service manager that didn't care what his techs did to my car.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Lovely thread. I am about to give up my 2010 Sonata, which has been nearly bulletproof since new. Sum total of warranty work is as follows: Re flash of ECM for idle issue; d/s window motor; and rear stabilizer bar links. Non-warranty work includes d/s window regulator; one set of brakes complete; one set of summer tires and two sets of winters. Oil changes every 6K Kmart the usual air filter changes. It recently threw a code for a minor EVAP leak which I have tried to track down but not too hard as it is going in favour of the Mustang. A/C is so cold I have to add heat to the airstream on most days.

It appears that I am giving it up for low mileage A/C problems, ill fitting and leaking tops, driveline vibrations, windows that don’t roll up properly, and a myriad of other problems. Is my dream car going to be a nightmare?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
probably. run while you still can. especially with that 2.3T

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Lovely thread. I am about to give up my 2010 Sonata, which has been nearly bulletproof since new. Sum total of warranty work is as follows: Re flash of ECM for idle issue; d/s window motor; and rear stabilizer bar links. Non-warranty work includes d/s window regulator; one set of brakes complete; one set of summer tires and two sets of winters. Oil changes every 6K Kmart the usual air filter changes. It recently threw a code for a minor EVAP leak which I have tried to track down but not too hard as it is going in favour of the Mustang. A/C is so cold I have to add heat to the airstream on most days.

It appears that I am giving it up for low mileage A/C problems, ill fitting and leaking tops, driveline vibrations, windows that don’t roll up properly, and a myriad of other problems. Is my dream car going to be a nightmare?
Dude, you're in Toronoto. You'll only need the AC 3 days a year ;)

Seriously though, it seems to be much more prevalent of an issue in southern states. My guess is it has less to do with the evap itself (considering they have problems with every single revision) and more to do with heat cycling and mounting/vibrations.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55

Seriously though, it seems to be much more prevalent of an issue in southern states. My guess is it has less to do with the evap itself (considering they have problems with every single revision) and more to do with heat cycling and mounting/vibrations.
I live in upstate NY, and use it quite a bit. Even winter time, needed for defrost.
So far only needed a compressor in mine.... :mad:

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible

What great timing for your comment. Starting Friday we will have six days over 30C (86F) with the hottest day being 35C (95F) with humidex readings up to 46C (~115F). Presumably the evap core (or compressor) only has so many cycles in it so I guess that means with using it less that I will be well out of warranty before spending thousands repairing it.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible

LOL, that's funny that the autocorrect changed "km" to Kmart, which is where I started my career at the Canadian head office in the legal/real estate department.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What great timing for your comment. Starting Friday we will have six days over 30C (86F) with the hottest day being 35C (95F) with humidex readings up to 46C (~115F). Presumably the evap core (or compressor) only has so many cycles in it so I guess that means with using it less that I will be well out of warranty before spending thousands repairing it.
Haha, it feels like it's been in the mid 90's here since early spring.

So far, it has only been my compressor that's failed. I'm approaching 32k miles in a hurry. Time will tell about the evap. I'm definitely thinking about purchasing an extended warranty.

Sponsored

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Mine was recharged after I noticed it blew warm air. It ran fine for awhile until I noticed (within 5-6 days) that it started blowing cold on one side and warmer on the other. Took it in and they found out compressor was leaking. Picked it up and it has been working fine but it takes it a couple minute sot get blowing cold air. I still think the evaporator is trash but we will see...

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Brought mine in for blowing cold air for about one minute, accompanied by a whining until it blew hot. They replaced the condenser, blew cold but always whining. Replaced the compressor and recharged. Working for now.

thashow2k1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT BAse
Well, just got the call, Ford just told me the evaporator needs to be replaced at 42000 miles smh $1700 before tax, possibly the greatest scam going , don’t buy a warranty and the ac will break and you’ll be paying us for a replacement or buy the warranty and we’ll continue to replace it until the warranty is out and then you’ll still have to pay....easy money, getting rid of this thing before I have an engine tick happen too smh

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
it's not a scam. quite simply, out of warranty? out of luck. just like every other car out there. it just so happens that this particular car has a badly designed evap core.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Try to trade in if possible ..after you put a recharge can in of course..Then the Ford dealer can rewarranty it. At least the next poor sapp will be able to fix it again under that warranty.
Sponsored