HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The car blows cool air in mornings, but in the afternoon you can't tell its working unless you're cruising at 70mph and put your hands on the vents. Everywhere I go I sweat, which is frustrating as I am half time a suit/tie person. That's the third repair attempt, going to go test drive a new mustang this weekend to see if that's the case with all of them.
It's not the case. My 2016 blows ice cold all the time in Scottsdale. I'm thinking part of the reason you want to test a new one is so you can say "see" to the dealer. The flaw to the logic is if they had told you its normal they are lying scum and will have no problem claiming the equally ridiculous "we meant its normal for a 2016; new ones much better; you should buy one!"
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
So what would you guys say is the mileage average for the first a/c issue?...Im at 12,500 on my 15 gt and still blowing cold from the factory charge.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
So what would you guys say is the mileage average for the first a/c issue?...Im at 12,500 on my 15 gt and still blowing cold from the factory charge.
No definite answer. Some have had theirs go before 500 miles and others around 40k. Mine was going around 14.5k. All about luck.

IsolatedSnail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue GT/CS
So I talked to Ford this morning about my issues. This will be their 4th repair on my air conditioning system. They want to replace the evap core this time, however, none of my issues have been temperature related. My problem is that the blower is dying out. If you set the AC to 5 or 6, you can just hear the blower dipping down to almost nothing, then coming back up, then down, then up, etc. This is the same problem I had last year when they went through the repair attempts.

Car only has 17k miles on it. Pretty frustrated about the whole thing. Have any of you guys with evap issues had blower problems? Are they on a wild goose chase here? My AC still blows very cold, it just doesn't blow a consistent amount.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My problem is that the blower is dying out. If you set the AC to 5 or 6, you can just hear the blower dipping down to almost nothing, then coming back up, then down, then up, etc. This is the same problem I had last year when they went through the repair attempts.
Then there's a good chance the dealer techs are morons or management wants to collect from Ford for unnecessary surgery. I would take it to another dealer who MIGHT be a little smarter/honest

Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Mine went out right at 17k miles.

Car went in to first dealership, tech replaced leaking AC Compressor, said it was good to go, got in it and no-go... car was blowing hot air. Took it back, they drained and refilled and said it was good to go, got in, worked fine for about 15 minutes, after that, hot air. Could also smell what smells like a dry bitter smell, kind of like an electrical heat smell but not? Almost like a bitterent put in odorless gasses to keep people from huffing it...

Finally decided to take it to a second dealership with significantly better reputation. Found that the system was overcharged by 4oz, that the system leaks, but dye can't be seen on any components and not out the Evap core drain. Diagnosed it as a faulty evaporator core and are going to replace it in a few weeks when they get the part in.

I really hope it fixes the issue... car has bumper to bumper warranty still until August so by the time the system gets done, I'll have about a month and a half of driving to make sure it's good to go or I'll have to start pulling strings to get it fixed since it is an "on going issue".

Interestingly enough, there is now a TSB on the Evap Cores... couldn't get the number but he showed me the paperwork on it. He was surprised I knew the labor hours on it (10 basically, 9.9 in their system)... told him that it is a well documented issue on various Mustang forums! :p

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Mine went out right at 17k miles.

Car went in to first dealership, tech replaced leaking AC Compressor, said it was good to go, got in it and no-go... car was blowing hot air. Took it back, they drained and refilled and said it was good to go, got in, worked fine for about 15 minutes, after that, hot air. Could also smell what smells like a dry bitter smell, kind of like an electrical heat smell but not? Almost like a bitterent put in odorless gasses to keep people from huffing it...

Finally decided to take it to a second dealership with significantly better reputation. Found that the system was overcharged by 4oz, that the system leaks, but dye can't be seen on any components and not out the Evap core drain. Diagnosed it as a faulty evaporator core and are going to replace it in a few weeks when they get the part in.

I really hope it fixes the issue... car has bumper to bumper warranty still until August so by the time the system gets done, I'll have about a month and a half of driving to make sure it's good to go or I'll have to start pulling strings to get it fixed since it is an "on going issue".

Interestingly enough, there is now a TSB on the Evap Cores... couldn't get the number but he showed me the paperwork on it. He was surprised I knew the labor hours on it (10 basically, 9.9 in their system)... told him that it is a well documented issue on various Mustang forums! :p
Technically summer only started 4 days ago, I think the dealerships will be busy this year. Car has been rock solid for me, other than the AC.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Technically summer only started 4 days ago, I think the dealerships will be busy this year. Car has been rock solid for me, other than the AC.
I would be lying if I said my car never got driven hard. At 17k miles, the car has probably 400 autocross runs on it. That said, summer may have only started "technically" a few days ago, but the weather has been ridiculously hot and humid since April. We basically never had a spring (characterized by rain and ~70Âş-80Âş temps and moderate humidity) and went from winter (inches of snow) to "summer" (consistently 90Âş+ weather with 60%+ Humidity). It's been hell... the AC on my car went out about 2 weeks before Memorial Day... It's been out for over a month. So yes, I'm ready to be done with this issue...

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked the car up after the evaporator replacement.

Gave it a good looking over - no damage whatsoever that I can see and all lighting etc. reconnected properly.

No new rattles detected on my short drive home.

Oh, and the air conditioning is now working perfectly.

:clap2:

Part number of the new evaporator assembly (RHD GT) is: GR3Z 19850 AF.
evap1.jpg

Sponsored

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
It's not the case. My 2016 blows ice cold all the time in Scottsdale. I'm thinking part of the reason you want to test a new one is so you can say "see" to the dealer. The flaw to the logic is if they had told you its normal they are lying scum and will have no problem claiming the equally ridiculous "we meant its normal for a 2016; new ones much better; you should buy one!"

I agree, my logic is flawed. Just setup another appointment and will follow through with Ford on a return as a threat if they can't get this right. I'll go to another dealer next week if this week's visit yields nothing again.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just setup another appointment and will follow through with Ford on a return as a threat if they can't get this right. I'll go to another dealer next week if this week's visit yields nothing again.
Good luck. If Dante was alive and ever needed warranty repairs, you can bet there would be an 10th circle of hell.

Last edited:

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
My AC is acting up and on the fritz again. I'm planning to take it in either later this afternoon or Monday morning, this will be the 4th time to have AC problems.

Has anyone talked with Ford about lemon law or trade assist scenarios? I'm curious if they would be receptive to a decent trade assist or if I should just move forward with official lemon proceedings by sending a certified letter when my inevitable 5th repair comes up. I'm only at 17k miles, I fully expect to have more failures before the warranty goes up.
I've sued to have my car lemon lawed after three a/c repairs in less than 10,000 miles.

Ford Customer Service confirmed to me today via live post in owners.ford.com site that in January 2018 Ford issued an SSM #47012 to dealers that some 2015-2018 Mustangs may have a "seized or sticking a/c clutch" causing no airflow thru the a/c vents. This is yet another SSM after Ford's prior SSM for the defective evap assemblies.The dealers have that SSM in their system. I assume the new SSM means that the compressor is defective.

thashow2k1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT BAse
42,100 Miles, Second Owner, bought the car December 2015 used, had the typical symtoms randomly leaving the beach with cold only on one side and now no cold a/c in Florida. Called Ford CS yesterday to put the notice out there before going to the stealership this Friday. Had Midas check my A/C while doing my oil change and they said the Evap Core is leaking. This was my first American car after owning a Mitsu, Nissan, VW and this car has definitely surprised me with the most expensive and earliest repair ever (no mods besides suspension and wheels/tires). I hope they can help with the cost because this is crazy! Anyone have this happen outside of warranty?
Sponsored

Last edited: