Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Going to try to make a case to the dealer as my AC went out 400 miles after my warranty expired. Is there any solid documentation I can bring or service bulletin or TSB that document the spread of AC problems with the Mustangs? I don't want to have the service manager read the entire thread and I sure do not want to print all the pages in this thread if possible.

No TSB ... but there is SSM 47149. SSM = "Special Service Message" sent to the dealership for info on cause of certain problems.

Tell your dealership to search his technical resource system for SSM 47149.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3534/poor-a...erant-charge-2015-2017-ford-mustang#more-3534
Sponsored

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
Joining the club! 2016 GT PP stopped blowing cold air a couple of days ago. 18,000 miles. Taking it to the dealership this week. Can’t wait.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
Mine failed again (it did last summer, they didn't find anything wrong)

This time there was some smoke and strong smell from under the hood when the AC went out. Each time the IAT (intake air temp) was very high, 140* or higher, indicating the temperatures under hood were very high. I had the car towed in due to the issues, but now the dealer is asking me to come look at it as they can't find anything wrong (again), supposedly its blowing cold air for them (which it wasn't doing even when we unloaded the car from the tow rig.

I just want a working mustang. There aren't other cars out there that currently hold my interest in this price range. However, you can't do Arizona summer without air conditioning.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Mine failed again (it did last summer, they didn't find anything wrong)

This time there was some smoke and strong smell from under the hood when the AC went out. Each time the IAT (intake air temp) was very high, 140* or higher, indicating the temperatures under hood were very high. I had the car towed in due to the issues, but now the dealer is asking me to come look at it as they can't find anything wrong (again), supposedly its blowing cold air for them (which it wasn't doing even when we unloaded the car from the tow rig.

I just want a working mustang. There aren't other cars out there that currently hold my interest in this price range. However, you can't do Arizona summer without air conditioning.
I feel your pain, Captdistraction. Summers in Central Texas are pretty hot too.

I've mentioned in this thread that when mine went out last August, I resorted to self help and charged it up with a refrigerant that also has a sealant.

And it's still blowing at about 43 degrees from the vents. Somehow this worked for me.

One of my post with the name of the refrigerant is at #914 of this thread if anyone is interested. :cheers:

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I feel your pain, Captdistraction. Summers is Central Texas are pretty hot too.

I've mentioned in this thread that when mine went out last August, I resorted to self help and charged it up with a refrigerant that also has a sealant.

And it's still blowing at about 43 degrees from the vents. Somehow this worked for me.

One of my post with the name of the refrigerant is at #914 of this thread if anyone is interested. :cheers:

Direct link to Post #914:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2177193&postcount=914

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
Now I am in a real pickle.

Last week the car dropped the AC Thursday and Friday, Friday being the incident with smoke and the weird smell and towing to the dealer.

Now they can't find anything wrong with it. I just test drove it with the service advisor and while the AC performance was very poor, it was within specifications (its a hot day in Arizona).

They're keeping the car a bit longer to try to make it repeat what its been doing to me, but ultimately it looks like I'm going to be on the hook for the diagnostic fee, rental car fees, and get the car back in a partially functioning state.

I'm infuriated but I understand if the dealer can't get ford to pay for repairs then I'm the odd man out.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Now I am in a real pickle.

Last week the car dropped the AC Thursday and Friday, Friday being the incident with smoke and the weird smell and towing to the dealer.

Now they can't find anything wrong with it. I just test drove it with the service advisor and while the AC performance was very poor, it was within specifications (its a hot day in Arizona).

They're keeping the car a bit longer to try to make it repeat what its been doing to me, but ultimately it looks like I'm going to be on the hook for the diagnostic fee, rental car fees, and get the car back in a partially functioning state.

I'm infuriated but I understand if the dealer can't get ford to pay for repairs then I'm the odd man out.
Try another dealer if possible. The "within specifications" is such a BS line. The AC should be cold to the touch at the lowest setting, not just adequate.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
My car recently suffered its third A/C failure and went to the dealer yesterday (10 months warranty remaining). On the previous occasions, they diagnosed a faulty schrader valve which was replaced and the system regassed.

This time, they've decided that it's actually the evaporator which will be replaced in a couple of weeks.

Not really looking forward to the dash being pulled :doh:, but at least it might finally get fixed properly.

steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt black
Im very surprised that there hasnt been a class action already in the works for this issue...its obviously an issue across the board and for those that already had the evap core replaced and had it go out again, that evap should be warrantied for the same amount of time from the install date... anyone in here have any attorney friends???

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Lol they tried that route with older gen mustangs to no avail

This problem isn’t new to ford

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Many are still being replaced under warranty so while the situation itself is disappointing, the terms of the warranty are being honoured and there's nothing to get legal about. If a class action arises my guess will be it'll do so because the evaps keep failing out of warranty and folks are needing to pay the cost of repairs from their own pocket.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
The issue isn't just the evap cores. As an example, had I not had Geico MBI...Id' be out $2,000 after replacing my condenser and compressor.

The A/C system in this car is garbage.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
The issue isn't just the evap cores. As an example, had I not had Geico MBI...Id' be out $2,000 after replacing my condenser and compressor.

The A/C system in this car is garbage.

Never knew about GEICO MBI. I have GEICO, and I would have purchased this if I had known. :frusty: About to roll over 40,000 miles.