A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

brotherbean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Ruby Red "Reba"
Update on mine: The dealer kept it for a week and was unable to locate any issues with the A/C system, but did find that it was slightly light on freon so they topped it off and added dye in case it stops working again. Took it on a long road trip this week and has been working flawlessly ever since the freon top-off, fingers crossed it stays that way.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Had one of my local dealers fix it for me, $1500. Dealer said they've done a couple but TONS of trucks with the same issue. No recall? I called Ford and the rep was like it wasn't a big reported issue and to keep my receipts. Ya fuck you too Ford.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Small update on mine. The leak fix so far is still working. It was 107 out the other day and with the car just idling in the driveway, it got down to 50 degrees leaving the vents. On days in the 90's, it got down to about 41 degrees (Again, at idle).

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
As I mentioned before, my A/C still cools down the cabin but it takes longer. Today I decided to visually inspect some areas and I took a few pictures. I'm not sure what that white residue is around the low side couplings and ends. Needless to say the Low side is far from generating any condensation on itself.
IMG_20200719_123446~2.jpg
IMG_20200719_123503~2.jpg

pdarietta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby gt350
Same problem on my 2016 gt350 w/26k miles (under the mileage but over the time on my warranty). Just got it back yesterday with the "upgraded" core. Seems to be working well again. The initial estimate was $2,700+ tax but after some back and forth with my Ford service manager (armed with info from this forum - thanks) he discounted it to $2100 all in and covered the rental. Not great, but it's something. Definitely a basic engineering failure on Ford's part. Surprised I haven't seen a class action yet given it seems to cut across their entire line of cars and trucks. I'm also surprised that CA hasn't hit them up for the discharge of coolant into the atmosphere.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Wow didn't know this was going on. Ive had my car for 4 years its a modded 2016 Gt/Cs. I hardly ever use my ac even on hot days. I just love driving with my windows down in the summer.. The few times I've used it, it works fine..I’d say I’ve probably turned it on 4 times..lol

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Are you located in a “warmer” climate?
I’ve been trying to determine if this problem correlates with how much the AC is used?
Thanks

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I live on the East coast & in the summer it hits the 90’s consistently. In the fall it Hits the 70’s, in the winter it hits the 30’s with occasional days in the teens. I use my heat in the winter more then i use my ac in the summer..

Last edited:

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Just had the go ahead for the evap core replacement on my 2016 EB. Has anyone got any details on the differences between the old one and the new one that's meant to have solved the problem. Also, is there any advice on keeping the new one in tip top condition?

Mach3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Question for anyone who might know: I think I might have the evaporator core problem as my AC is not cold on driver side but I live in a cold climate and don’t really need AC except 2-3 months out of the year. If I can go without AC no biggie, but the word “leak” scares me. Even if I don’t need it would there be any problem with water building up, mold, corrosion etc that might affect performance later on? And if so would the leak persist even if I didn’t have the AC button on? Otherwise I’m looking at an expensive out of warranty repair.

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
it’s always better to fix the problem early on. Eventually you’ll have to fix it at some point. running the compressor low on gas and lubricant will damage it. You’ll be looking at a larger bill

sfs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Question for anyone who might know: I think I might have the evaporator core problem as my AC is not cold on driver side but I live in a cold climate and don’t really need AC except 2-3 months out of the year. If I can go without AC no biggie, but the word “leak” scares me. Even if I don’t need it would there be any problem with water building up, mold, corrosion etc that might affect performance later on? And if so would the leak persist even if I didn’t have the AC button on? Otherwise I’m looking at an expensive out of warranty repair.
That is exactly how it starts. Hot air on drivers side and cool air on psgr side. I was quoted $3000
for the repair. I decided to trade the car in to another dealer and not tell them about the issue.
I figure that it gave me a $3000 discount on a newer model.
Its time to sell.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Has anyone with a 2018 or higher had this issue yet?

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
That is exactly how it starts. Hot air on drivers side and cool air on psgr side. I was quoted $3000
for the repair. I decided to trade the car in to another dealer and not tell them about the issue.
I figure that it gave me a $3000 discount on a newer model.
Its time to sell.
Really hope I don't have this problem but it seems everyone does.

Isn't there a update where they don't have to take out the dash now?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Really hope I don't have this problem but it seems everyone does.

Isn't there a update where they don't have to take out the dash now?
The update was to just replace the actual A/C evaproator and not the whole unit that the evaporator is located inside of. The dash still needs to be removed to do that.
Sponsored