A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Really hope I don't have this problem but it seems everyone does.

Isn't there a update where they don't have to take out the dash now?
If you look at the instructions or the videos online you'll see that the evap core is part of the whole heater matrix, which is a huge thing behind the dash sandwiched between the dash and the bulkhead. There's no way that's coming out other than when the dash is out.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Has anyone with a 2018 or higher had this issue yet?
I'd like to know as well. May be getting back into a GT after my Scat lease is up.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
If you look at the instructions or the videos online you'll see that the evap core is part of the whole heater matrix, which is a huge thing behind the dash sandwiched between the dash and the bulkhead. There's no way that's coming out other than when the dash is out.
Yeah, that is true..

I had to get my heater core and one of blend door actuators changed on my Ram. The dash had to come out.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Has anyone with a 2018 or higher had this issue yet?
I've been following this thread for awhile and I don't recall seeing any members with 18+ cars post in here. I can't say for sure if it's been addressed or not but it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue like the 15-17 cars.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I took delivery of my then new 2018 EB Prem. w/PP in March 2018; it now has almost 40k on it and no A/C issues.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
However you're not in a year round hot environment, like TX or FL

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Anyones AC at Speed 1 sometimes for a few seconds at a time blow faster then throttles back down to 1?

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Anyones AC at Speed 1 sometimes for a few seconds at a time blow faster then throttles back down to 1?
Yes, it's kinda common. It doesn't matter if you have base or premium either

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I took delivery of my then new 2018 EB Prem. w/PP in March 2018; it now has almost 40k on it and no A/C issues.

Look out sometimes the less side the best said :rain:

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
It does that all speed sometimes. It's a weird thing where ford set it up to blow like ocean wind or something. Real stupid.

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I need to make a decision on an extended warranty soon and want to know what exactly fails on these units. Bad solder joints, for instance? Should I worry if the A/C is only used occasionally? Thanks.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I need to make a decision on an extended warranty soon and want to know what exactly fails on these units. Bad solder joints, for instance? Should I worry if the A/C is only used occasionally? Thanks.
Not sure what the technical cause of the failure is but all you really need to know is that the AC evaporator leaks over time and the AC performance will degrade until it stops working entirely.

The average cost for an evaporator replacement is about $2000. You just have to ask yourself if you can stomach that repair bill outside of a warranty or if you can live without AC if it does fail.

There is another thread where people have stated they've had no issues with their original evaporator but I'm on my third and I don't even use the AC year-round.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
" I'm on my third and I don't even use the AC year-round."

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your car. It may sound ridiculous, but that might be the reason your AC system leaks out, it might not even be the evaporator core anymore. I leave the AC on 100% of the time when I'm driving, during hot or cold. in cold it dehumidifies the cabin.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
" I'm on my third and I don't even use the AC year-round."

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your car. It may sound ridiculous, but that might be the reason your AC system leaks out, it might not even be the evaporator core anymore. I leave the AC on 100% of the time when I'm driving, during hot or cold. in cold it dehumidifies the cabin.
Glad you haven't had any issues but this is the only car I've ever had AC problems with and my AC using habits have never changed. My S2000 and GTO were both 12 years old and well over 100K miles when I got rid of them and the AC always worked flawlessly.

This thread is 116 pages long for a reason.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what the technical cause of the failure is but all you really need to know is that the AC evaporator leaks over time and the AC performance will degrade until it stops working entirely.

The average cost for an evaporator replacement is about $2000. You just have to ask yourself if you can stomach that repair bill outside of a warranty or if you can live without AC if it does fail.

There is another thread where people have stated they've had no issues with their original evaporator but I'm on my third and I don't even use the AC year-round.
Being two weeks away from 3 years of ownership, I bought the Ford "ExtraCARE" 8 year 75,000 mi. $50 deductable warranty from Flood, $1065. Hope I never need it
Sponsored