Sponsored

93 octane?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.
All of the fuels at Top Tier stations have the same amount of additives. Top tier isn't synonymous with premium fuel. 87, 91 and 93 will all have the same additives.

You are much better off buying 87 octane from a top tier station than 93 from El Cheapo.
Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
^^ Correct.

Top tier only refers to the gas station brands, not the octane rating.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
You put 87 octane in a Yugo not in a high performance car in my humble opinion. Though the specs allow you to, does not mean you should. High Octane has additives to keep your fuel system clean
Why would you put gasoline in a Yugo? You'll just have to push more weight.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just don't understand why owners of high performance sports cars cry about putting 93 in their cars.....You bought the car for it's performance so why cheap out and run 87 octane to save yourself a $1 or $2 per fill up ??

I have used 93 from day one and will continue to do so... I want the best for my GT and its fuel system.....

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I just don't understand why owners of high performance sports cars cry about putting 93 in their cars.....You bought the car for it's performance so why cheap out and run 87 octane to save yourself a $1 or $2 per fill up ??

I have used 93 from day one and will continue to do so... I want the best for my GT and its fuel system.....
I think we've been through this before.

1). Ford recommends 87 octane
2). You can't feel the difference between 87 and 93 octane.
3). It's not $1-$2 per fill up, it's $7-$8. I personally don't like throwing money away.

It's your perogative to burn an extra $7 per fill. For the rest of us, see 1 through 3 above.

Sponsored

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I think we've been through this before.

1). Ford recommends 87 octane
2). You can't feel the difference between 87 and 93 octane.
3). It's not $1-$2 per fill up, it's $7-$8. I personally don't like throwing money away.

It's your perogative to burn an extra $7 per fill. For the rest of us, see 1 through 3 above.
Ford Recommends at LEAST 87. On Ford.com Premium fuel is listed in the specs section for the Ecoboost, and GT. Yes the manual says 87, and it will run just fine on 87, but it's still not going to make all 435 horses on 87.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Ford Recommends at LEAST 87. On Ford.com Premium fuel is listed in the specs section for the Ecoboost, and GT. Yes the manual says 87, and it will run just fine on 87, but it's still not going to make all 435 horses on 87.
Right, it's going to make 425-430hp instead. That extra HP isn't worth the additional $350 per year I would be spending on fuel.

If this was purely a low mileage weekend warrior, I would probably be just fine with 93 octane. It's not though, it's my daily.

I wouldn't judge anyone putting in 93 octane. In my opinion, and for what I need, it's completely worthless to do so.

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 octane will not damage the car in anyway, period. Anyone think otherwise is fooling himself.

It is only a matter of if there's discernible performance difference and whether you are willing to pay for that performance difference.

IF there's almost zero performance difference in DD, it is simply a waste of money even if it is just a few dollars per fill. To me, it is intellectually insulting more so than wasting a few $, it means you don't know what you are doing and even proud of wasting money.

Racing is another story though.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Ive noticed a difference between 87 and 93. It was more in that the way my exhaust sound. It drones a little more on 87.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I always run 93 in my GT for optimal performance.

It definitely makes a difference in the ecoboost. My brother ran a 16.2 @90mph in good air and 2.0 60ft with 87 octane.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am running 87 in the EB to keep the summer tires from spinning by limiting the HP. When it gets above 70 I will go back to 93. Running 93 in the GT is useless.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/...-if-your-car-is-made-for-regular.html?0p19G=c
This is pretty convincing.
"When premium fuel is merely recommended, there is no reason to use it instead of regular, according to Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports’ director of auto testing.
In its own experiments, Consumer Reports found that vehicles that “recommended” premium did not increase acceleration or fuel economy compared with regular gasoline.
At Ford Motor, all vehicles are designed to run on regular fuel, with the exception of high-performance models like the Mustang Shelby GT350 and the Focus RS, which have high-compression engines that burn hotter, said Steve Russ, the senior technical leader for internal combustion engines at Ford Global."

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
"More Drone" in the 87 vs. 93 threads. I've heard it all now.