Sponsored

87...89...91..93..Octane ??

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Don’t complain too much… shell v power (99 RON / 93 AKI) is £1.89 a litre here, so $9 / US gallon in your money…
I have considered using regular E10 (95 RON / 90 AKI) at £1.75 litre for long distance motorway trips where you burn through a tank sitting at a steady speed, not putting any strain on the engine, and saving the higher octane fuel for fun drives.
What is the UK government blaming for the increased cost?
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I plan to keep my mustang "forever" so I prioritize it over a lot of other things. I run shell V-Power 93 to get the advertised performance numbers AND added cleaning ingredients.

Honestly you probably won`t have any problems running 87 until fuel comes back down though.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
What is the UK government blaming for the increased cost?
My post is out of date now.. it’s £1.90 + per litre today for v power. If memory serves, 50% ish is tax

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I understand and track all you are saying above. I am looking for a site to corroborate that Ford really does jack up the octane for testing. They may well, and in 2021 it could make a big difference. I have been reading threads similar to this since 1985, when a car that ran fine on 87 did NOT benefit at all from 93 because the tune was static. If an S550 has the brains to tune itself to take advantage of 91 or 93 octane, I'd like to confirm that. Mine seems to run fine on the Owner's Manual recommended 87, but "fine" is all relative, right?
On Fords website where it states HP numbers it says "460HP (93 Octane)" and there's youtube videos of testing 87 vs 93 octane and seeing 20+ HP difference between the 2. I've run both in the car and can't really tell any difference but if the car pulls enough timing to not ping on 87 and makes 20hp less, then it'll also be getting worse mileage so I usually run 91 (highest available in AZ) so I know I've got my power.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I understand and track all you are saying above. I am looking for a site to corroborate that Ford really does jack up the octane for testing. They may well, and in 2021 it could make a big difference. I have been reading threads similar to this since 1985, when a car that ran fine on 87 did NOT benefit at all from 93 because the tune was static. If an S550 has the brains to tune itself to take advantage of 91 or 93 octane, I'd like to confirm that. Mine seems to run fine on the Owner's Manual recommended 87, but "fine" is all relative, right?
Ford has always indicated that power ratings were based on premium fuel. This is not “jacking up” the octane, just being truthful as to what is needed to extract maximum performance. Using 87 is fine but it is the minimum recommended.

From the owners manual.

F03016AC-230B-4E4A-BAC1-885D8F71B5EE.jpeg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I pay $8.16CAD/gallon for 91. Consider yourself lucky.
Unfortunately all many Americans want to do is bitch. Maybe, just maybe, if we opened our eyes a little bit we would see how good we have it. Certainly things are far from perfect but they could also be far worse.

tjwreds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
I use 87 in my mach 1 with gas the price it currently is, I'm sure it's pulling timing and has lower net power, but I'm not sweating it. Still fast, and the loud pedal sounds just as good as 93 for less.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
On Fords website where it states HP numbers it says "460HP (93 Octane)" and there's youtube videos of testing 87 vs 93 octane and seeing 20+ HP difference between the 2. I've run both in the car and can't really tell any difference but if the car pulls enough timing to not ping on 87 and makes 20hp less, then it'll also be getting worse mileage so I usually run 91 (highest available in AZ) so I know I've got my power.
When I was breaking in my car I ran 87 and tried a 0-60 run for fun with trac control on and it took 6.0 seconds. Of course, I was disappointed so I filled with a few tanks of 92 (the highest we can get here) and repeated the test. It came in at 4.9 seconds, so clearly a pretty big difference in acceleration. Still not what it's supposedly is capable of but right now I only have just over 3,000 miles on it and haven't tested it in a few months so I imagine it may be a little faster now (even with the crappy Pirelli tires).

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I pay $8.16CAD/gallon for 91. Consider yourself lucky.
I just saw some video of a California Chevron station's sign. It was $8.05 for 87, $8.07 for 89 and $8.09 for 93. What a bargain where premium is only 4 cents more per gallon than regular! Our gas is like 50 cents more for premium than regular, of course it's only $5.50 for premium (the other week, don't know about now).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Unfortunately all many Americans want to do is bitch. Maybe, just maybe, if we opened our eyes a little bit we would see how good we have it. Certainly things are far from perfect but they could also be far worse.
Well, true.

But what I find funny is you don't see these same people complain about the cost of a gallon of milk that is over $4, or a pack of cigs that are in excess of what, $10 for a single pack (or replace cost of cigs with vape+fluid)?

It's comical at best. And heck, has anyone seen the price of a pack of underwear lately?? 😂

And BTW - the cost to refuel a V8 vs an EB S550 with the same size fuel tank - is no different in total $$$ spent to refuel. So the pain is everywhere, globally.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But what I find funny is you don't see these same people complain about the cost of a gallon of milk that is over $4,
A lot of the cost of a gallon of milk, and every other thing we buy, is paying for the fuel that powers the trucks.

What used to cost 400 to fill a semi truck now costs 900. same 1000 to 1500 mile range.

EDIT

Also I don't know anyone who buys 12 to 25 gallons of milk at a time.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
A lot of the cost of a gallon of milk, and every other thing we buy, is paying for the fuel that powers the trucks.

What used to cost 400 to fill a semi truck now costs 900. same 1000 to 1500 mile range.

EDIT

Also I don't know anyone who buys 12 to 25 gallons of milk at a time.
Good points. When the monthly price of filling up your car matches or exceeds a car or mortgage payment, that hurts. But $5+ per gallon gas is the norm in many countries. We just so used to cheap gas that paying this much is a shock to our wallets.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good points. When the monthly price of filling up your car matches or exceeds a car or mortgage payment, that hurts. But $5+ per gallon gas is the norm in many countries. We just so used to cheap gas that paying this much is a shock to our wallets.
Sure it's a shock to everyone's wallets ... But Big Corporations don't want to increase salaries for their workers who are in the trenches making the Corp. go round and round, while the top Execs get their $1M or 6-figure bonus checks . . . more for less, until there's a break point.

Most of what we are seeing in price hikes is just greed. Nothing has drastically changed as far as production, pipelines, delivery... Many Big Corps aside from the Fuelers/Oilers as in "retail" are also sitting on stockpiles of cash and making record profits - in some instances there probably isn't even a denomination name to the amount of cash that's being stock piled by both the Govt/Big Corps.

There just isn't any justification for fuel/oil hikes - not just for the automobile, but now there's talks that anyone who has natural gas for their homes will see as high as a 30% increase in some areas of the country... So tell me what changed in natural gas delivery that such a hike is justifiable?
Sponsored