Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Red in sport mode

93 all day for me, then again I knew buying the V8 would be required for the 435 hp. I wonder what 91 does to the hp, i know a lot of areas dont have 93
I've experimented with 1/2 tank 93 &1/2 89here on the coastal bend of Texas and I can't get a butt-dyno reading on a loss of power myself. At $ 2.50 a gal or cheaper I'll use 93 mostly. I owned a 2012 & 2014 Cyclone mustang and I could tell and the research showed 305 hp on 87 octane and 315 hp with 93 octane. The Coyote wants 93 or better for performance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Your talking about motors that run 11.1 compression ratio,yea it will run on 87 but get one bad tank of 87 and i quarntee u their will be more than a 1% loss in power and probably some pinging or detonation to gonaling with it.I have have got bad fuel on more than one occasion,happens all the time.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Give em Hell Tommy, true that!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Your talking about motors that run 11.1 compression ratio,yea it will run on 87 but get one bad tank of 87 and i quarntee u their will be more than a 1% loss in power and probably some pinging or detonation to gonaling with it.I have have got bad fuel on more than one occasion,happens all the time.
You do realize that it is not the static compression ratio that determines a vehicles required octane, but rather dynamic compression ratio which the coyote has the ability to adjust. This the is same reason you are able to slap a supercharger on a coyote and with a tune, have no risk of detonation on 93 octane.

I have not heard one complaint over the entire coyote platform of anyone having detonation issues on 87 octane.

And for the record, your car will run equally crappy on a bad tank of premium. I have not once in my lifetime had bad tank of fuel in any of my vehicles. I only visit high volume, recognizable stations.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You do realize that it is not the static compression ratio that determines a vehicles required octane, but rather dynamic compression ratio which the coyote has the ability to adjust. This the is same reason you are able to slap a supercharger on a coyote and with a tune, have no risk of detonation on 93 octane.

I have not heard one complaint over the entire coyote platform of anyone having detonation issues on 87 octane.

And for the record, your car will run equally crappy on a bad tank of premium. I have not once in my lifetime had bad tank of fuel in any of my vehicles. I only visit high volume, recognizable stations.
Dynamic compression ratio on a variable valve timing changes with given fuel type. If you run lower octane, the valves would adjust to lower compression ratio to prevent denotation.

Sponsored

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
When I got my 2012 V6 I ran 93 for a while it had 313hp on 93 and 305 on 87. I switched to 87 when it became my daily driver, for that first half tank or so of 87 actually stumbled a bit on idle as if it was adjusting.

On my 2016 GT switching from 93 to 87 I did not see any stumbling or noticable difference, also my daily driver.

But 93 can't hurt....

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I run 93 in my car on the 91 tune. I have a 93 tune but not to keen on using gas from some of the local stations so staying on the safe side.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I was wondering this morning, how much can the Coyote adjust itself for octane via ignition timing and such?

If you fill up with 93, and then add octane booster, can it adjust enough to notice? Or simply fill up with racing fuel from some track that's 98 octane?

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
The 93 in my area is bad enough. No way in messin with 87.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I was wondering this morning, how much can the Coyote adjust itself for octane via ignition timing and such?

If you fill up with 93, and then add octane booster, can it adjust enough to notice? Or simply fill up with racing fuel from some track that's 98 octane?
I don't know the exact limits, but for reference, Lund tuned mine for 94. He said I could use 91 fine but did not recommend going down to 87.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Up here we have 94 Octane at one major brand. I've been using it since new but I'm not really racking up many miles. (also my GT is stored till April) It's pretty damn expensive lol.

With my SI, I notice quite a bit of a difference between 91 and 94 octane. Esp when the engine is cold in the winter months. 91 it studders a little just at low cruising speeds even before tune. Add 94 it completely goes away.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Just found out a gas station down the road from me has 104 octain gas. But that's 75% ethanol. Mostly 93 octain.

Last edited:

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
"Modern engines not only don’t need lead but have sophisticated antiknock technologies that sense a fuel’s octane rating and adjust their ignition timing to prevent damage."

So I guess that adjusting timing will NOT affect HP ???

This thread is really just based on every ones PERSONAL opinion...and to each their own...some post they do not feel a difference when going from 87 to 93 but I highly doubt that the awesome butt dyno they have can tell the difference of +/- 5 HP...this debate will rage on until some one actually does a thorough test on a dyno to justify the difference, until then we are all beating a dead horse.....

guess if I read this on the internet it MUST be TRUE.... lol lol

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Correct its not the octane increase that increases the HP (ex. my 1975 Vette will produce same hp on 87 or 93) its that modern engines advance and retard timing on the fly to prevent knock and ping.

That being said some safety in 93 less chance of ping vs. 87 the way I understand it..... (ex. my 1975 Vette more likely to ping or knock on 87)

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Correct its not the octane increase that increases the HP (ex. my 1975 Vette will produce same hp on 87 or 93) its that modern engines advance and retard timing on the fly to prevent knock and ping.

That being said some safety in 93 less chance of ping vs. 87 the way I understand it..... (ex. my 1975 Vette more likely to ping or knock on 87)
On older cars, yes. On the coyote, neither will ping. I have not heard of any complaints since the introduction of the coyote of pinging on 87 octane. People seem to think there is a safety margin in case they get a bad batch of fuel, but a bad batch of 93 is going to jack things up the same as a bad batch of 87. Don't visit shitty gas stations.

In the end, if you want the small bump in power, buy the 93. If you don't care, buy he 87. The 93 is not going to add any engine longevity over the 87, so the only advantage it has is the 5-10hp bump.
Sponsored