6spd manual durability

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FN Mustang Manual
I’m new to the Mustang world. Looking to purchase a 21’ Mustang GT Performance Pack Premium. Nobody in my area even has a 21’GT and said they can’t even order one.
Anyway my question is it seems the 6spd manual is not very durable from what I’m reading. Lots of complaints about locking out gears. Have they upgraded anything with the 21’ or the upcoming 22’ manual models or is it still the same as previous years?
I really like the videos of the 10spd autos. The shifts really seems to keep the car in the powerband
Can also report mine has been flawless. I'm thinking the people who have had problems are just not using them properly. I have also noticed on my 2020, that it has actually gotten better with more kms of use. At 10K Kms, it is more silky smooth than at say 5K Kms. The 2018- cars have the upgraded MT-82 D4 installed. Dual clutch plates, dual mass fly wheel and lots of other small upgrades. I did a couple of small things that have also had a marked effect on the performance of the box. 1. Installed a Steeda mount bushing insert. Provides even better direct changes, about $60 US plus labour. and 2. Changed out the gearbox oil with Castrol Syntrans FE 75W on the advice of a renowned race team here is Australia. I cannot even conceive of using an auto box in a car like this. Hope that assists in some small way.
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
All depends on the use case in my opinion. If you are road racing, drag racing or track racing. Auto is only option because it take abuse better. The manual is more fragile and prone to user error.

I actually have a friend who owns a 2011 GT manual (bought brand new) with a ProCharger (620WHP) Still running stock clutch and hasn't once had a problem with trans. Why? because he babies the car. He loves the noise it makes and never quick shifts.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
All depends on the use case in my opinion. If you are road racing, drag racing or track racing. Auto is only option because it take abuse better. The manual is more fragile and prone to user error.

I actually have a friend who owns a 2011 GT manual (bought brand new) with a ProCharger (620WHP) Still running stock clutch and hasn't once had a problem with trans. Why? because he babies the car. He loves the noise it makes and never quick shifts.
What‘s your buddy’s ET! 60’ and MPH?

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
My d4 has been great to date. Car has 7200 miles, boosted at 850hp for the past 5000. I run Amsoil in the trans which smoothed it some; in addition, an aftermarket clutch. I also installed an MGW shifter. I have yet to experience lockout/missed shifts. As others mentioned, the taller gearing of the d4 is less desirable even with my pp1 3.73 diff.

Sponsored

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Can also report mine has been flawless. I'm thinking the people who have had problems are just not using them properly. I have also noticed on my 2020, that it has actually gotten better with more kms of use. At 10K Kms, it is more silky smooth than at say 5K Kms. The 2018- cars have the upgraded MT-82 D4 installed. Dual clutch plates, dual mass fly wheel and lots of other small upgrades. I did a couple of small things that have also had a marked effect on the performance of the box. 1. Installed a Steeda mount bushing insert. Provides even better direct changes, about $60 US plus labour. and 2. Changed out the gearbox oil with Castrol Syntrans FE 75W on the advice of a renowned race team here is Australia. I cannot even conceive of using an auto box in a car like this. Hope that assists in some small way.
I don't think that is a fair statement. That comment would be like saying, "when you car breaks, there is no issue, you just don't know how to use it properly". I think you have to understand that lemons exist. When parts go through QA checks, they are selected at random. So in "general" most items are considered good. But all manufacturers know there are a percentage of items that will be bad. Just will there be enough to warrant their investment to fix it.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Mt82-d4 here. It's an early 19 so I think it has the weaker shift forks but I've got 70k miles on it now. Boosted since 48k at about 650hp. Still shifting good. I think it might be on its way out but I'm only speculating due to some false knock I'm getting on high rpm hard shifts. I've been extra hard on it lately just to see if it will break but nothing yet.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Had a 2019 for 7,500 miles and the MT86 was great, have a '20 with about 20k now and no complaints at all. So happy I got the manual.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My d4 has been great to date. Car has 7200 miles, boosted at 850hp for the past 5000. I run Amsoil in the trans which smoothed it some; in addition, an aftermarket clutch. I also installed an MGW shifter. I have yet to experience lockout/missed shifts. As others mentioned, the taller gearing of the d4 is less desirable even with my pp1 3.73 diff.
What clutch and driveshaft are you running? How high do you spin the motor and do you have no lift shift capability with the aid of a WOT Box?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Those breaking naturally aspirated MT82 and calling them junk on facebook are the same azzwipes breaking their NA swapped in T56's and insist it's still a better trans cause they need to justify the 6k for the swap. Otherwise the stock MT82 can go 700-750 wheel no problem.

Sponsored

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Those breaking naturally aspirated MT82 and calling them junk on facebook are the same azzwipes breaking their NA swapped in T56's and insist it's still a better trans cause they need to justify the 6k for the swap. Otherwise the stock MT82 can go 700-750 wheel no problem.
Wow! You really don't get it. Parts do fail! It just needs to be kept to a minimum. It could be an error in casting. Could be a bad mix of alloys. A machine that was not recalibrated, after something changed during assembly, but they let it go because it was within tolerance. Rare but can happen. Why do you think recalls exist.

Could be one out of a hundred or one out of a thousand. What ever. Most transmissions will be fine even when abused. Others just suck.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
We need to break this down per which model of MT82. The post 2019 MT82D4 is a much better tranny that the initial MT82.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
We need to break this down per which model of MT82. The post 2019 MT82D4 is a much better tranny that the initial MT82.
The newer ones are better. The ones that work are great. But the issue still exists. The Getrag is manufactured in china. It has been an issue since the beginning, and has also been a problem with other car brands using Getrag transmissions.

I have a 2020. PP1. I have issues with 2nd to 3rd shifts. It is most evident at wide open throttle. No issues with any other shifts. Ford dealer said they will make a note but it is not bad enough to go in to fix it. Shifter helped to smooth things out but there is an issue. I have had plenty of manual transmissions in my day. I have also driven several other S550 GT manual transmission. So I know what is normal and what is not.

I can replace it, have some one upgrade it, or swap it with a TR6060. All options probably cost about the same.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I can only speak for myself, its been flawless. Talking to my dealer (South Bay Ford) very few MT82D4s have issues. In fact they have more complaints over the 10R80 than the MT82D4.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The newer ones are better. The ones that work are great. But the issue still exists. The Getrag is manufactured in china. It has been an issue since the beginning, and has also been a problem with other car brands using Getrag transmissions.

I have a 2020. PP1. I have issues with 2nd to 3rd shifts. It is most evident at wide open throttle. No issues with any other shifts. Ford dealer said they will make a note but it is not bad enough to go in to fix it. Shifter helped to smooth things out but there is an issue. I have had plenty of manual transmissions in my day. I have also driven several other S550 GT manual transmission. So I know what is normal and what is not.

I can replace it, have some one upgrade it, or swap it with a TR6060. All options probably cost about the same.
I’m going to be walking out this journey very soon and rebuilding mine. Hopefully I can make it stronger and much more durable. Unfortunately, it will be very expensive too.
Sponsored