6spd manual durability

Stangsta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be 21’ Mustang GT
I’m new to the Mustang world. Looking to purchase a 21’ Mustang GT Performance Pack Premium. Nobody in my area even has a 21’GT and said they can’t even order one.
Anyway my question is it seems the 6spd manual is not very durable from what I’m reading. Lots of complaints about locking out gears. Have they upgraded anything with the 21’ or the upcoming 22’ manual models or is it still the same as previous years?
I really like the videos of the 10spd autos. The shifts really seems to keep the car in the powerband
Sponsored

Marco_C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 PP1 6 speed and it is all stock and haven't had any problems at all. This is my first V8 stick shift and have given my clutch and tranny a beating and its still kicking. I have heard of many shift forks breaking and being the main issue from what I have heard. Maybe I was lucky and got a good transmission. (At 33k miles).

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Mine is older 16 gt. I bought the car last Nov close to 30k miles and right now I have 60k miles. Still shifts fine, I had problems with it popping out of gear once or twice months ago but it's fine now. Hoping it's good for another 20-30k miles :giggle: will check back once it takes a shit :)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Anyway my question is it seems the 6spd manual is not very durable from what I’m reading. Lots of complaints about locking out gears. Have they upgraded anything with the 21’ or the upcoming 22’ manual models or is it still the same as previous years?
You're confusing durability with notchiness and refinement. The trans itself is solid and has been shown to take alot of power. The complaints you're hearing are about lack of refinement.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I’m new to the Mustang world. Looking to purchase a 21’ Mustang GT Performance Pack Premium. Nobody in my area even has a 21’GT and said they can’t even order one.
I really like the videos of the 10spd autos. The shifts really seems to keep the car in the powerband
Some people just don't know how to shift.

/troll

In all seriousness, I've missed shifts, but I've never been "locked out" of a gear. But then when I miss a shift I let go of the shifter, push in the clutch, and then engage the appropriate gear. I don't continue trying to jam it into gear with the clutch not pushed in or anything like that.

The MT-82 is criticized a lot on here, but I think it's a really good manual transmission. Back in 2011, they weren't the greatest, but the problems were mostly livability, not actual function. For example, I owned two different 2011 Mustangs that both had a very annoying crunch shifting into second gear. Everything was functional, but a little less than fun at times.

The MT-82 has gotten to be very smooth shifting after the 2015 redesign. I think it's a really good transmission. Some people will say that the Tremec box available in the Mach and the GT350 is much better. I owned and drove a GT350 and I would definitely recommend the Tremec gearbox for track use, but for daily driving I think the MT-82 is actually slightly better. The throws are a little shorter and it's really smooth.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
59k on the car turbo'd for the last 10k. Trans is holding up fine. Avoiding lockout with the stock clutch at high rpm just takes some finesse and practice. Once you upgrade the clutch it's basically non existent. I'd get a manual again if I did it all over.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
You're confusing durability with notchiness and refinement. The trans itself is solid and has been shown to take alot of power. The complaints you're hearing are about lack of refinement.

youknow-you.gif

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I think the gearing ratio in the 18+ manuals is kinda the only thing to really bitch about.

Takes a little while to get up to speed off the line, and like 3rd gear is super tall.

I wouldnt worry about any durability issues if you're planning to stay stock.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the gearing ratio in the 18+ manuals is kinda the only thing to really bitch about.

Takes a little while to get up to speed off the line, and like 3rd gear is super tall.

I wouldnt worry about any durability issues if you're planning to stay stock.
I agree with that. It would be nice to get the power of the later cars with the better gearing that the 2015-2017 versions have.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
No issues with my 2019 so far. No issues with lockout. It's a little stiff till it warms up. Not the best I've had but far from the worst. No regrets going with the stick.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Bingo! Exactly this!

The MT-82 is more proven than the A10. Yes, the MT-82 is notchy, especially in cold weather and a cold start. Yes, the MT-82 is also durable. Mine is at 95k miles on the original clutch and still going strong. I've seen one MT-82 with no issues after 250k miles.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Bingo! Exactly this!

The MT-82 is more proven than the A10. Yes, the MT-82 is notchy, especially in cold weather and a cold start. Yes, the MT-82 is also durable. Mine is at 95k miles on the original clutch and still going strong. I've seen one MT-82 with no issues after 250k miles.
That's pretty sweet to be at 95k with stock clutch. I'm hopeful now 🙂 I always freak out that my clutch is gonna take a shit soon.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
MT-82 has 82 mm shaft spacing, TR-3160 is 81 mm so on that spec they are about the same. The MT-82 D4 lower ratio 1st gear increases strength compared to the previous version.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I agree with that. It would be nice to get the power of the later cars with the better gearing that the 2015-2017 versions have.
This
Sponsored