6spd manual durability

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I don't know exactly when ford updated the shift forks in the D4 but I saved the tsb's for the 1-2 and 3-4 shift fork when they came out. What's weird is the 1-2 issue covers 2018-19 but the 3-4 only applied to 2018.

SilverStallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alexis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There is plenty of 6-700 hp mt82 power mustangs out there with no issues. Good clutch and a decent shifter you should be set.

I have a 15 pp1 mt82 with bolt on and e85. I don't drive it like I stole it all the time but she eats it up when I do. When I first got her I was on the mt82 is trash train but I realized that I had learn to drive her.

The A10 on other hand I've heard with high hp they tend to burn up if not driving wot on pulls.

I'm not expert by any means

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
My Whipple car is just over 700rwhp. First trip to the track and 4th gear exploded on the sixth pass! Only had 500ish easy street miles on the Whipple setup prior to the track outing. 20k miles on the car. No issues with the trans prior to the blower going on. YMMV šŸ˜

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My Whipple car is just over 700rwhp. First trip to the track and 4th gear exploded on the sixth pass! Only had 500ish easy street miles on the Whipple setup prior to the track outing. 20k miles on the car. No issues with the trans prior to the blower going on. YMMV šŸ˜
Did you upgrade the tranny after the 4th gear failure or just have it repaired under warranty?

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
2017 GT with 32K DD miles with no power adders or tune, etc. I did change the fluid to BG Syncro Shift II within the first 1200miles.

The other day I was driving my car at a leisurely pace and it dawned on me how smooth the transmission has become as it ages. Even if I beat on it, it just works. The fluid change quieted the box down considerably at the expense of cold weather performance. Which just means I have to make deliberate shifts until things warm up.

I like the close ratios of this version of the MT82 but would like the 2nd gear out of the D4 for better autox gearing.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I have a brand new 2022 GT with manual and been driving manuals for years.

When I first got the car and shifting fast into 3rd gear I would get a grind. Then I slowed down a bit and made sure the clutch was to the floor in between shifts. That seemed to make it go away, but also makes me more cautious (less fun).
Had exact same issue while car was new and it went away completely within first few thousand km. Give it a bit of time to break-in.

As far as the topic, I'm very happy with my D4 tranny so far. Clutch is a different story though.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Man, so far I love my 6-speed.. so much better then the older Mustangs that I am used to (96-04) and much better than my 2018 WRX.. I am happy with it so far, obviously haven't had it long but so far very happy.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
So wait. I have a perfectly good A10 GT but I buy a 6MT GT to go with it because I miss not being able to shift gears once in a while. And now you guys are telling me that if I make a quick 2-3 shift at or close to redline the shifter will hang up? Iā€™m not talking about a no-lift powershift here, just a kinda quick shift. If the car canā€™t stand that, what did Ford build it for in the first place?

Iā€™ve only got 140 or so miles so far so Iā€™m in no position to say much of anything. But itā€™s hard to believe Ford built something that couldnā€™t stand up to the kind of usage they should expect it to get. And worse yet, kept on building it.

If this is for real, how tight can you safely wind the Coyote with the expectation of successfully completing a spirited 2-3 shift?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If this is for real, how tight can you safely wind the Coyote with the expectation of successfully completing a spirited 2-3 shift?
To be fair 2 to 3 shift is mostly a street kind of thing and for winding your Coyote you are up into 3rd-4rd range which is actually a real wide band between 60 mph and 120 mph or so. With that in mind the 2 to 3rd issues are more noticeable on the drag strip and red light racing than in canyon curving or road track driving. Ether way the reason is the cheap ass clutch that is in the car.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
There are so many clutch options available out there that it seems like trial and error in finding the right one. Here is a video of a guy with a brand new Calimer Stage 3 and an LPX clutch. He had Issues hitting 4th gear a couple of times while shifting at, or close to 8K. Not sure if it was the driver or something else.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
So wait. I have a perfectly good A10 GT but I buy a 6MT GT to go with it because I miss not being able to shift gears once in a while. And now you guys are telling me that if I make a quick 2-3 shift at or close to redline the shifter will hang up? Iā€™m not talking about a no-lift powershift here, just a kinda quick shift. If the car canā€™t stand that, what did Ford build it for in the first place?

Iā€™ve only got 140 or so miles so far so Iā€™m in no position to say much of anything. But itā€™s hard to believe Ford built something that couldnā€™t stand up to the kind of usage they should expect it to get. And worse yet, kept on building it.

2-3 shift is definitely the weak point. Seems to be the most reported problems happen here.

I had a problem with my brand new 2022 going from 2nd to 3rd, but strangely it kind of went away after about 1,000 miles.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
There are so many clutch options available out there that it seems like trial and error in finding the right one. Here is a video of a guy with a brand new Calimer Stage 3 and an LPX clutch. He had Issues hitting 4th gear a couple of times while shifting at, or close to 8K. Not sure if it was the driver or something else.

That's odd. My lpxhd is not perfect but the one place it's always solid is high rpm shifts. Every gear is crisp and lockout is a thing of the past. My guess is driver.
Sponsored