OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
If you don’t have a FordPass account, the data is still being sent to ford (assuming to don’t physically disable the comms hardware), but that doesn’t mean they’re doing anything with it. There’s no ID to relate it to.
Fantastic, thanks for the explanation, makes complete sense and must also be why they immediately push getting everyone set up on it immediately.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Fantastic, thanks for the explanation, makes complete sense and must also be why they immediately push getting everyone set up on it immediately.
The sales person also gets a bonus for every Ford Pass they activate.
Ain’t capitalism great!

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
So, another question, If I pull the fuse on the R, but keep FordPass?

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
So, another question, If I pull the fuse on the R, but keep FordPass?
I don't know that I fully understand the question, but I've pulled the fuse and for now still have the app on my phone. The latest data it has is from moments before I pulled the fuse. Attempts to communicate with the car, lock doors, refresh the data, etc. all time out with an error.

Related: For my life I cannot find the option to turn Wi-Fi on. I swear it was there. I'm thinking the TCU has the 4G modem and Wi-Fi adapter together, and perhaps the infotainment screen just doesn't even show the Wi-Fi option if it doesn't see the Wi-Fi adapter. I will put the fuse back in to test this another day and report back.

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
When I started researching this, one of the first things I did was search the fuse section of the owner's manual for "modem" and "4G"

I did not find those anywhere, but this one sounded interesting:

uamKdfT.jpg

I wrote that down along with a few other suspect items, but when looking around at what they do, telematics turned out to be the winner.

I would imagine the fuse section in your manual will also show telematics, or at least lead you in the right direction. If all else fails, find a diagram like the one above showing the location of the TCU, grab that bastard and rip it out.

I have searched my manual and cannot find a fuse for Telematics! Grrrrrr!!!!! Keep in mind this is a 2020 Ford F350 SuperDuty.

I have a very credible reason to believe the dealer and Ford can see if you make changes via Forscan. They do not know it is Forscan and assume an IDS made the change. But long story short, the Service Manager at the dealer was able to tell me a change I had made via Forscan!! This was over the phone when me and the truck were at home!!!! He said he can see it on his computer screen via the FordPass Connect phone home. That is what prompted me to disable the FordPass stuff within Sync. Now I want to disable the 4G modem and WiFi at the hardware, not just software. ARRRGGHGHHHHH!!! I had called the Service Manager for an update on a backordered warranty replacement part.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
2020 Ford F350 SuperDuty.

t20917_knigaproavtoru03250827.jpg

#8 - 5A - Embedded modem

:wink:

Thank you sir! I see that now in my manual. Going out to pull that fuse now.

Do you think if the modem is disabled then it will try the wifi when home? I think I am going to go kill the wifi profile for my SSID in Sync and then tell my router to block the mac address of the truck.

From page 12 & 13 of the owners manual... Notice it says it does send vehicle related info to Ford!! My dealer says it is black box recording data, GPS info, tire pressure info and even he is convinced he can see other changes such as from Forscan...

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 3.35.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 3.36.02 PM.png

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Do you think if the modem is disabled then it will try the wifi when home?
Yes, I do, however I swear my Wi-Fi settings have disappeared since I pulled the fuse. I think pulling that fuse, at least on my car, powers down both the modem and the Wi-Fi adapter. Tomster has a post outlining that at least one particular TCU is responsible for both the modem and Wi-Fi (this may or may not be the case on all cars, I have no idea). I intend to put the fuse back in and verify this this weekend, but at least for now it appears all methods of communication are down.

Last edited:

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Pulling my fuse today after installing the Caliperfexion studs.

Sponsored

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for this awesome thread. I just looked up the privacy notes on the Ford Pass app. It says it collects information such as speed, location, and acceleration. Yikes. Deleting the app and pulling the fuse.

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ok, duh, I have a 2017 so I don’t have the fuse. Guess I just won’t have the Ford Pass app.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ok, duh, I have a 2017 so I don’t have the fuse. Guess I just won’t have the Ford Pass app.
2017s don't have the modem. So, you should be fairly safe.
has it been confirmed the modem is the hardware sending this info? Neither of my Fords have the modem and both of them report lots of details in FordPass. I thought it was tied to the WiFi/GPS bits in the Sync computer.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
has it been confirmed the modem is the hardware sending this info? Neither of my Fords have the modem and both of them report lots of details in FordPass. I thought it was tied to the WiFi/GPS bits in the Sync computer.
Actually not sure. Would think the modem could transmit more info, but unclear on what the app can send when not connected to the modem.
Sponsored