Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If it hasnā€™t been said yet, Thanks OP... this is an awesome thread full of great info and knowledge I wouldā€™ve never gained anywhere else!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, Tomster called Ford and was told the data is indeed accessed by the insurance companies:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...data-link-to-ford-thread.146863/#post-3006706
The answer Tom was given was correct but incomplete. Yes they do share data, but......as per my post #55, Ford has agreements with some insurance companies to share data if requested and approved by the car owner. They just do not share everyones information with their insurance companies.

Also you could use the 4G modern as a hotspot and not enroll in FordPass. No enrollment, no app, no data sent to Ford. You could also just turn your WiFi off.

And by the way, who actually believes anything Ford says when you call them? :)

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Ford has agreements with some insurance companies to share data if requested and approved by the car owner. They just do not share everyones information with their insurance companies.
Of course not, data for $, homie.

and geico comes around the corner like

qhonGpR.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Also you could use the 4G modern as a hotspot and not enroll in FordPass. No enrollment, no app, no data sent to Ford. You could also just turn your WiFi off.
I don't buy this at all, no way the car only transmits data if you sign up for FordPass.

We could test that out though with an RF meter and a new car on the lot, though, I suppose.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't buy this at all, no way the car only transmits data if you sign up for FordPass.

We could test that out though with an RF meter and a new car on the lot, though, I suppose.

Oh it transmits data, but itā€™s not tied to an ā€œaccount.ā€ That makes it super inefficient to share because thereā€™s essentially no useful identity.

sure, somewhere Ford has the data of who bought what vin, etc. and could trace that to you, but I HIGHLY doubt they have a system capable of doing that at scale. Most donā€™t realize how difficult that type of relational analytics really is at scale, in real-time, etc. The FordPass is the bridge between you and the car data and any third-parties you authorize to interact with it.

FWIW, wife and I have the state farm drive safe and protect tracker thing in our cars and our rates have dropped $200+ a year because of it. I donā€™t drive like an asshole regularly, but Iā€™ve also been known to ā€œmake good timeā€ on occasion. I frequently enjoy the Raptor. Iā€™ll leave it at that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Oh it transmits data, but itā€™s not tied to an ā€œaccount.ā€ That makes it super inefficient to share because thereā€™s essentially no useful identity.
Hmmm... wouldn't it be much less of a 'personal data' issue to just share the exact VIN rather than someone's name? If the insurance companies just get VINs from Ford instead of names, wouldn't that make their job even easier?

I have the state farm drive safe and protect tracker thing it and our rates have dropped $200+ a year
See, I totally appreciate that, and this topic gets personal quickly. I'm on the flip side of that coin. I'd happily pay the same $200 a year to keep my exact whereabouts at every given moment away from them.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hmmm... My thinking is the opposite - I'd bet it's much more efficient and less of a 'personal data' issue to share the exact VIN rather than someone's name. I'm thinking the exact same goals for them are reached whether you signed up or not.
thatā€™s just not how the systems on the back end work. The system that tracks connected vehicle info (location, fuel level, etc.) is tied to a unique vehicle ID in the digital system. The data scheme that this is collected in isnā€™t compatible with systems like State Farm or Geico. Keep in mind the data scheme for all manufactures is different. And thereā€™s no way an insurer has the resources to build ingestion systems that work for everything.

So instead they all use universal APIs that speak a common language and put the data in a universal ā€œlanguageā€ thatā€™s labeled correctly. This makes it easy for a third-party entity to consume the data because everyone has universally agreed on its schema.

All this takes multiple complex steps that requires pushing the data through multiple intensive ingestion, preparation, analysis, and back end systems. Somewhere along the lines SOME of this data will be made available to the service that powers stuff like FordPass. This service has all the security, UI/UX, web app code, etc. that makes it safe to share this data at scale and across the internet. So naturally, the backend systems that runA something like FordPass likely runs the same service that shares data with third-parties because itā€™s cheaper and more efficient to develop and run all those capabilities once instead of multiple times. Not to mention versioning would be a huge bitch. Back on topic, what does this all mean? Your connected car data is tied to your account. Thatā€™s what is used to control how the data is used. Your name is tied to your account ID (typically your email) just as is the VIN. If you donā€™t have a FordPass account, the data is still being sent to ford (assuming to donā€™t physically disable the comms hardware), but that doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re doing anything with it. Thereā€™s no ID to relate it to.

this all ignores the fact that Ford sharing your data without your consent isnā€™t really beneficial to them. What do they gain out of it? The benefits pale in comparison to the risk - losing customers from handling their data incorrectly, class action lawsuits, etc. they have massive incentive to make sure your data is protected.

the real risks tied to connected cars today, IMHO, are governments forcing automakers to share data because of ā€œnational security,ā€ bad actors hacking the cars due to automakers not being cyber security experts, and users inadvertently enabling external data sharing because they donā€™t understand what theyā€™re agreeing to.

sorry if this is all confusing - typing on mobile.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the group:

If I opt out of Ford Pass for my R, but wife stays in it for her EB, what happens?

I think we have separate Ford Pass Accounts. I will have to check that item though

Another question, just this year, we moved the Shelby's (R and 2007 GT500) to Grundy. Her EB and my Excursion are on AAA insurance.

Would Grundy take offense to my tracking? I stated I dont race and dont expect Grundy to cover the track event?

Thoughts?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
If I opt out of Ford Pass for my R, but wife stays in it for her EB, what happens?
Nothing. If you do no setup a FordPass on the ā€œRā€ no data is being captured from it. You wifeā€™s car has nothing to do with yours.
Would Grundy take offense to my tracking? I stated I dont race and dont expect Grundy to cover the track event?
Does Grundy has a data sharing agreement with Ford? If they do were asked to opt-in to a tracking agreement? If they didnā€™t stop worrying. They are not watching you.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing. If you do no setup a FordPass on the ā€œRā€ no data is being captured from it. You wifeā€™s car has nothing to do with yours.

Does Grundy has a data sharing agreement with Ford? If they do were asked to opt-in to a tracking agreement? If they didnā€™t stop worrying. They are not watching you.

R's Ford Pass was set up when purchased.

Have no idea if Grundy data shares. Does anyone know?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
R's Ford Pass was set up when purchased.
Then turn if off and contact Ford to close the account.
Have no idea if Grundy data shares. Does anyone know?
If they did, they legally have to ask you to opt-in. The purpose of the sharing is for rate discounts for low mileage. Doubt Ford would even bother with Grundy. Way too small.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
I have used Grundy for a while and all they care about is stated value. They donā€™t cover any driving events. I buy separate insurance for each track event.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have used Grundy for a while and all they care about is stated value. They donā€™t cover any driving events. I buy separate insurance for each track event.

Agreed, I buy track insurance also.
Sponsored