Sponsored

2019+ Spoiler Replacement Gurney Screws

AlphaBravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
To update everyone on my journey to get the correct screws. The ford dealer that’s been working on getting replacements for me said ford and ford performance have been less than zero help. A national fastener company said they found the proper fastener in a catalog, but it’s a low production item and is currently backordered. As soon as they get it in stock, and get it to me, I’ll definitely let the group know. Heck, maybe I’ll order a dozen sets so I can distribute to everyone who needs it.
Please add me to the list for a set of the short screws (or at least a source for the correct short screws).
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Whenever you quote a fastener length you should always quote the UHL, or "under head length." It minimizes ambiguity and confusion.

The fasteners that Ford supplies with the Gurney Flap are an M6 x 1.0mm x 15mm UHL. The diameter of the integral head is ~15mm as well. The fastener uses a T20 Torx head.

There has been mention of replacing the stock GF screws with a security-style screw. I cannot find a direct replacement screw with the exact same dimensions. My favorite resource is McMaster-Carr as they always use quality fasteners and they ship quick so I looked there and think I can put together something very close.

Just for the heck of it I'm going to order the following to closely mimic the factory fastener that will require a security tip to remove them. First up - the screw. I'm going to try an M6 x 1.0mm black oxide screw. I cannot find a 15mm UHL so I'm going to try 16mm. Note that the head is only 10.5mm. The plan is to use a washer to increase the surface area as well as reduce to OAL (overall length) down close to the OEM 15mm UHL.

z Tamper resistant M6 screw for Gurney flap.JPG

Since I can't find the proper metric washer I noticed a washer for a #12 screw should fit and when I looked through them I found a good match.

The OEM M6 fasteners have a nominal diameter of 6mm which equates to ~.236" and the washer below has a .250" ID. Perfect.
The outside diameter of the OEM fastener head is ~15mm or ~.591" and the washer below is .562" - close enough.
The washer below ranges from .04" to .06" thick. The 1mm I'm looking for (to effectively shorten the 16mm threads the screw up top uses) equals .039" which is close as well. So the washer used with the screw I listed would make give the fastener just under a 15mm UHL - again, perfect.

z Washers for tamper resistant screws.JPG

And finally, the screw I'm considering uses a tamper resistant T27 Torx drive. I'll pick up a few of these (because my tools like to grow legs and disappear forever).

z Torx bit.JPG

Links for the above.
Screws.
Washers.
Bits.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Warning--Anderson Composites uses different sized fasteners. OEM fasteners are not interchangeable with AC Swing/Gurney. Separate, but related issue.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Whenever you quote a fastener length you should always quote the UHL, or "under head length." It minimizes ambiguity and confusion.

The fasteners that Ford supplies with the Gurney Flap are an M6 x 1.0mm x 15mm UHL. The diameter of the integral head is ~15mm as well. The fastener uses a T20 Torx head.

There has been mention of replacing the stock GF screws with a security-style screw. I cannot find a direct replacement screw with the exact same dimensions. My favorite resource is McMaster-Carr as they always use quality fasteners and they ship quick so I looked there and think I can put together something very close.

Just for the heck of it I'm going to order the following to closely mimic the factory fastener that will require a security tip to remove them. First up - the screw. I'm going to try an M6 x 1.0mm black oxide screw. I cannot find a 15mm UHL so I'm going to try 16mm. Note that the head is only 10.5mm. The plan is to use a washer to increase the surface area as well as reduce to OAL (overall length) down close to the OEM 15mm UHL.

z Tamper resistant M6 screw for Gurney flap.JPG

Since I can't find the proper metric washer I noticed a washer for a #12 screw should fit and when I looked through them I found a good match.

The OEM M6 fasteners have a nominal diameter of 6mm which equates to ~.236" and the washer below has a .250" ID. Perfect.
The outside diameter of the OEM fastener head is ~15mm or ~.591" and the washer below is .562" - close enough.
The washer below ranges from .04" to .06" thick. The 1mm I'm looking for (to effectively shorten the 16mm threads the screw up top uses) equals .039" which is close as well. So the washer used with the screw I listed would make give the fastener just under a 15mm UHL - again, perfect.

z Washers for tamper resistant screws.JPG

And finally, the screw I'm considering uses a tamper resistant T27 Torx drive. I'll pick up a few of these (because my tools like to grow legs and disappear forever).

z Torx bit.JPG

Links for the above.
Screws.
Washers.
Bits.
I'm liking the "Tamper Resistant" idea. Makes it more difficult for some "no good pillar of society" to steal
your Factory Ford Gurney flap. (Can't just buy the Gurney flap) And I'm liking the "Black Oxide" Stainless,
they will blend in better than the shiny stainless ones that I am now using....
Good call.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I'm liking the "Tamper Resistant" idea. Makes it more difficult for some "no good pillar of society" to steal
your Factory Ford Gurney flap. (Can't just buy the Gurney flap) And I'm liking the "Black Oxide" Stainless, they will blend in better than the shiny stainless ones that I am now using....
Good call.

FYI
You can buy just the gurney flap from ford parts.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I may have just found a solution. Search google for “arctic cat 8477-616”

I just ordered 4 to try them out. I’ll update with pictures when they come in.
6EAA3822-BC60-4C47-8997-ED5C3751A1F7.jpeg
84CDACBE-CEE1-4C6C-9AF7-7E4D1A305645.jpeg

OP
OP

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
If you want to fully cover the opening in the spoiler, you will either need a flanged head or use a washer. Here are the ones that I bought.
Screw.jpg

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
20200509_182532.jpg
Maybe you can track down the needed screws using the info in the pic. This is the bag the long screws came in with my gurney flap. The part number on the bag doesn't come up during look up on ford parts though.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I would call Ford and complain.

The manual specifically says that the Gurney flap should not be used on the street and is for track use only.

Now if you take it off to comply with their instructions you'll have holes because the dealer tossed them.

Yeah I'll bet the CEO will get right on that, you are kidding correct?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Got the hardware today from McMaster-Carr. Fitment was perfect. A quick video.

Note that near the end of the video when I show the security screw it is actually an internal hex drive/pin unit - there were two or three accidentally included in the box and that just happened to be the one I grabbed for a closeup. Rest assured, the part numbers I listed are for Torx drive fasteners such as in the following photo.

20200512_165029-X3.jpg

The data from the above video...

20200512_162456-X2.jpg

20200512_163649-XL.jpg

McMaster part numbers...

20200512_170551-XL.jpg

OEM in place...

20200512_165207-L.jpg

McMaster...

20200512_165331-L.jpg

Sponsored

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
And look, the hardware is made in the USA ! Very nice job with the Video, should be no questions...

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just an FYI those black oxide screws can and will eventually rust. It might be minimal but id rather just use stainless so they always look new. I actually purchased some stainless screws when I was making a bike rack for my tonneau cover on my raptor and I painted them black...If you are careful putting them in and they wont chip out. Im sure the oxide screws are fine but keep an eye on them and maybe order some replacements in case one starts rusting a bit.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
On another note, mine have a thin vinyl washer under the head. Not sure if others have that as well. I guess it is to keep from maring the gurney flap mating surface.
20200513_102921.jpg
20200513_102911.jpg
20200513_102854.jpg