ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
UPDATING FIRST POST WITH ANSWERS FROM BELOW

I'm thinking about swapping my 2017 OEM GT350 spoiler with the 2019+ GT350 style swing from Anderson Composites and I have some questions I couldn't find answers to from existing threads.

1) I read about some other 6G users have some fitment issues and general quality frustrations, are these AC products worth paying ~$1500 for?
Non-R swing has proved problematic for some, R wing seems to have no issues.

2) Will the AC swing use the OEM mounting holes or will drilling be necessary (and if so, will the AC swing cover the old holes)?
If you're going to go from the original spoiler design for the non-R car to the new swing design for the non-R car, you'll need to expect to drill new holes and make a decision on what to do with the newly exposed center hole.

3) Do you guys have a recommendation on a clear coat to apply before install? I was looking at this: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_clearcoat.aspx
No additional clear coat is required. Our (AC's) carbon fiber parts are manufactured by spraying a coat of marine grade resin with UV inhibitors on the mold, sheets of carbon fiber fabric are laid out across the mold and then a final coat of resin is applied on the fabric before being placed inside a vacuum sealed bag to cure (provides an excellent fabric-to-resin ratio). Once cured, the part is removed from the mold, trimmed and a final coat of gel coat with UV inhibitors applied and polished to protect the surface and increase the high luster finish.

Thanks in advance for the help y'all.

spoiler.jpg
gurneyflap.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I had fitment problems. Talked to some others here who also did and some who did not. The conversation is spread across a few threads, but the links below should help. Regarding clear coat, there is no need. The product is already clear coated. At most, you may want to apply PPF.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mounting-2019-anderson-composite-carbon-fiber-swing.139529/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-your-gt350-today.39940/page-459#post-2825019
Thanks for the links, I'd only seen the first thread but had missed the content in the second thread.

Seems like the answer to #1 is yes, I should be emotionally prepared to deal with fitment issues because they seem to happen often and financially prepared to work with a body shop to fix them if they bother me. And #3 is moot.

For #2, I'm still wondering, does the swing mount using the 2017 OEM spoiler holes? It seems like yes since the track pack is standard on 2017+ cars but I'm hoping that someone who has installed the new swing on the old car can confirm.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for the links, I'd only seen the first thread but had missed the content in the second thread.

Seems like the answer to #1 is yes, I should be emotionally prepared to deal with fitment issues because they seem to happen often and financially prepared to work with a body shop to fix them if they bother me. And #3 is moot.

For #2, I'm still wondering, does the swing mount using the 2017 OEM spoiler holes? It seems like yes since the track pack is standard on 2017+ cars but I'm hoping that someone who has installed the new swing on the old car can confirm.
You'll have to decide whether #1 is correct; i.e., whether it is worth the money. I will say that the OEM Swing is a work of art. Not sure who makes it (not likely Ford). It's not CF, but it is extremely well made (in my opinion).

I can't answer #2. I changed from 2019-2019 and everything lines up. When I changed the spoiler on my 2016 it was for another 15-18 spoiler, so I don't want to misinform you.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
You'll have to decide whether #1 is correct; i.e., whether it is worth the money. I will say that the OEM Swing is a work of art. Not sure who makes it (not likely Ford). It's not CF, but it is extremely well made (in my opinion).

I can't answer #2. I changed from 2019-2019 and everything lines up. When I changed the spoiler on my 2016 it was for another 15-18 spoiler, so I don't want to misinform you.
the search for truth continues :-)

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Is there an advantage to adding the '19 wing to a pre-'19 car? Won't you be unbalancing the dynamics of the vehicle? The '19 wing with the gurney flap creates more downforce than the pre-'19 wing, and so Ford modified the front grille opening to balance that out I believe. I don't know what that translates to though in practical terms.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Is there an advantage to adding the '19 wing to a pre-'19 car? Won't you be unbalancing the dynamics of the vehicle? The '19 wing with the gurney flap creates more downforce than the pre-'19 wing, and so Ford modified the front grille opening to balance that out I believe. I don't know what that translates to though in practical terms.
You're right about what you're saying but the missing context is that I'm pursuing the associated changes as well. Those changes would be swapping out the springs and putting on the stickier tires. The mod to the front grill was to focus airflow for cooling purposes, I don't believe it has a significant aero impact.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
You're right about what you're saying but the missing context is that I'm pursuing the associated changes as well. Those changes would be swapping out the springs and putting on the stickier tires. The mod to the front grill was to focus airflow for cooling purposes, I don't believe it has a significant aero impact.
Car & Driver
The 2019 Shelby's exterior revisions take a careful eye to spot and include the fitment of the GT350R's smaller grille opening, which improves high-speed stability by reducing front axle lift by 13 pounds.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Car & Driver
The 2019 Shelby's exterior revisions take a careful eye to spot and include the fitment of the GT350R's smaller grille opening, which improves high-speed stability by reducing front axle lift by 13 pounds.
Find me the man who can feel the 13lbs difference on a 3800 pound car. From checking on some articles on the first page of a google search, it sounds like it was done to offset the addition of a heat extractor addition to the hood so it should be a wash. So you're right, but I'm not going to worry about 13lbs.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Find me the man who can feel the 13lbs difference on a 3800 pound car
hahahaha, exactly...and not only that, some mortal who’s name isn’t Andretti or honey badger that would actually feel a difference at anything below 120.

1) I understand it’s not the same part, but my Anderson R wing fit like a dream. No issues at all with fit, quality, or craftsmanship.

2) the swing is supposed to work exactly with the non swing holes, yes.

3) I don’t know what components anyone have gotten from Anderson clear coated, but the R wing is not. If it is not, don’t run off to clear it too fast. The resins from production need time to off gas.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
That is super helpful. I think I’ll pull the trigger on the swing, if it shows up without a clear coat I can order that once I receive it which should force me to wait until it off gasses.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@galaxy is correct. I misspoke about the clear coat. Below is what AC advises and why I decided to do PPF only. But, again, as galaxy said, it is not clear coated:

https://andersoncomposites.com/pages/faq-tech
"I just received my carbon fiber part, do I need to clear coat it before installation? No additional clear coat is required. Our carbon fiber parts are manufactured by spraying a coat of marine grade resin with UV inhibitors on the mold, sheets of carbon fiber fabric are laid out across the mold and then a final coat of resin is applied on the fabric before being placed inside a vacuum sealed bag to cure (provides an excellent fabric-to-resin ratio). Once cured, the part is removed from the mold, trimmed and a final coat of gel coat with UV inhibitors applied and polished to protect the surface and increase the high luster finish."

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I received an official answer from AC on this.

My question: Does this product https://andersoncomposites.com/products/2020-shelby-gt500-type-oe-carbon-fiber-rear-spoiler use the OEM mounting holes from the 2017 GT350 spoiler? I realize the answer is yes for later model years, so I'm emphasizing that I'm specifically asking about 2017.

Answer from AC: If you have a Shelby GT350R, yes. If you have the Shelby GT350 (non R), you will need to drill new holes and you will need to fill the holes in the center of the decklid which will be exposed when you remove your spoiler.

So if you're going to go from the original spoiler design for the non-R car to the new swing design for the non-R car, you'll need to expect to drill new holes and make a decision on what to do with the newly exposed center hole. This conflicts with some of the responses above, so I wanted to post the official answer to clear the record.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I received an official answer from AC on this.

My question: Does this product https://andersoncomposites.com/products/2020-shelby-gt500-type-oe-carbon-fiber-rear-spoiler use the OEM mounting holes from the 2017 GT350 spoiler? I realize the answer is yes for later model years, so I'm emphasizing that I'm specifically asking about 2017.

Answer from AC: If you have a Shelby GT350R, yes. If you have the Shelby GT350 (non R), you will need to drill new holes and you will need to fill the holes in the center of the decklid which will be exposed when you remove your spoiler.

So if you're going to go from the original spoiler design for the non-R car to the new swing design for the non-R car, you'll need to expect to drill new holes and make a decision on what to do with the newly exposed center hole. This conflicts with some of the responses above, so I wanted to post the official answer to clear the record.
That makes no sense. The Swing mounts in three points. The R mounts in two. I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I would bet a dollar to a dime that AC is wrong--probably misunderstood your question. Recommend asking Lethal Performance.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
That makes no sense. The Swing mounts in three points. The R mounts in two. I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I would bet a dollar to a dime that AC is wrong--probably misunderstood your question. Recommend asking Lethal Performance.
I’m not following your thought process. If you are mounting the 2019+ swing to an R car, they are saying it will cover the two mounting holes for the stock wing. If you’re mounting to the non R car, then the holes from the old style spoiler will not line up with the new style swing.
Sponsored