Sponsored

2019 GT feels sluggish!

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
What's the stock gear ratio on a non PP MT GT? 3:31? 3:55? Go to a 3:73 that should wake it up. Or higher, 4:09 maybe?
I believe it's 3:55...

But yea thats what I've heard is the culprit for the 18+ models being a bit sluggish off the line.
I've been looking into doing just that recently, but there's so much I don't know. I'm not a dragstrip type guy, so it seems a bit much to have someone crack my baby open when it's not broken to begin with.
Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I just feel like from first to second gear car feels so slow that I got tailgated sometimes but cars that are automatic.
1) do you have the clutch fully engaged (foot off the pedal)
2) What RPMs are you running at?
3) would be interesting if you could run a 0-60 time on the track app- see the link for instructions:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Its just the gearing. Plus there's a lot of drivetrain to get going with the clutch. The car makes torque contrary to the common opinion out there. 300ft/lbs at 2000rpm assuming you're not getting timing pull. It just doesn't feel like that much because of the tall gears. I just take my time at lights.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The coyote mustang feels SLOW. No doubt about it.

I have a 1970 SS396 Nova that runs 13.2 at 100 1/4 miles. It feels 10 times faster than my S550 mustang that runs 12.7 @ 114 1/4 miles.

I'm not sure why.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The coyote mustang feels SLOW. No doubt about it.

I have a 1970 SS396 Nova that runs 13.2 at 100 1/4 miles. It feels 10 times faster than my S550 mustang that runs 12.7 @ 114 1/4 miles.

I'm not sure why.
Sound deadening, nose lift, torque curve, etc.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
The butt dyno is a fickle thing. It likes to be fed by the ears as well as being pushed back into the seat by an artful launch in the Coyote's power band - which is to say wring that sucker out.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
You might feel the lunge more in a big low/mid rpm torque engine but hopefully you knew what you were getting into when buying a DOHC 32v “cammer” 5.0 vs a camaro or mopar with 6.2 or 6.4L and a fatter torque curve down low. The beauty of our cars Is great breathing at high rpm via 4v/cyl and vvt that’s independent for the intake and exhaust valves. When the pushrods are starting to wheeze and need to shift you’re still in a lower gear and making great power. Might not shove you in the back as much but you should enjoy the sustained power with revs.

Best of both worlds: A PD supercharged coyote. Have you considered that route?

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
The A-10 is magic. I test drove both fully expecting to get the manual but I found the manual underwhelming and the automatic absolutely perfect. Having said that if you aren't smooth on the throttle you might want to drive the auto in normal mode instead of sport or track.

Take the advice of the manual owners here and no doubt you'll figure it out.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is normal. I feel the same about my 2019 Bullitt, as you do your GT and I have a 3.73 gear out back. The car just doesn’t come alive until 4K rpm and higher. Anything below that feels very sluggish.if you really want to wake your car up on the low end, install a 4.56 gear in the differential, or add a Whipple supercharger.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what fuel are you running? I noticed a big difference from 87 to 93.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think it's the clutch because I've always baby the car and only has 7,000 miles on it. Maybe it's a base model and I don't have any driving modes?
If you baby the car it will accelerate more slowly. That's for sure.

I think you nailed it on that thought. This is my first manual V8, and maybe I'm so used to the low end torque. Plus in my muscle memory I'm not used to reving my cars.
The 5.0 has good low end torque for a small displacement gas engine.

I'm not mashing my gas at all honestly. I feel like revving the engine feels unnatural to me since I have not done that with previous cars that I have owned. I just feel like from first to second gear car feels so slow that I got tailgated sometimes but cars that are automatic.
If you don't step on the gas, you definitely won't get much power from the engine.

My solution: step on the gas if you want to go faster. Seems simple. Also, first gear will accelerate the hardest. With the stupid manual gearing Ford put in your car, pretty much first gear is your only hard accelerating gear. And to launch quickest from a stop you have to slip the clutch a little.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
One thing I've noticed with people who are used to automatics and move to manual is their hesitation to just give it more throttle. I don't mean slam on it but roll into it until about 1/2 throttle. That does it for me. Also the stock tune is very quick to kill timing down low and makes the car feel very sluggish. The frpp tune (and any tune to that extension) really woke up the low end.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The new Mustangs are high reving small blocks(displacement speaking) they demand rpm to take advantage of air flow thru those 4 valves. You "think" you have 3:55's, maybe you don't. Gears will wake up the manual for less $ than turbos or S/C. The 19+ cars tranny gears are really not good for low end, or anything other than better gas mileage. If I were to mod mine, it would be gears, axels and lighter wheels first, along with Stop the hop kit from Steeda. Drive it hard when safe to do so, "teach" the computer a more aggressive driving style rather than lugging it around. Anyhow, enjoy it and be safe.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
One thing I've noticed with people who are used to automatics and move to manual is their hesitation to just give it more throttle. I don't mean slam on it but roll into it until about 1/2 throttle. That does it for me. Also the stock tune is very quick to kill timing down low and makes the car feel very sluggish. The frpp tune (and any tune to that extension) really woke up the low end.
When you shift your gears and let go of the clutch pedal do you also press the accelerator a little bit as you're letting go of the clutch?
Sponsored